Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How many guys fish with left handed reels?

8K views 54 replies 25 participants last post by  Cuz N' Eddy 
#1 ·
How many guys fish with left handed reels? I was looking at some vintage spinning reels and some are lefthanded. I was wondering how many of you fish with left handed reels.

#28 ·
mikesxpress said:
Jonny Bolt said:
I have also noticed something that is quite common about those that reel righty.....even pro's, they will cast righty (over there right shoulder), then move the rod to their left hand, so they can reel their so-called (righty) reel. I think this disproves the debate in itself. Obviously guys that do this are right-handed (dominant side), and are using the wrong reels, because after casting over their right shoulder, they have to move the rod to the other side.
Jonny is correct!
What hand do you take a leak with? Yep, that's the rod hand. (For those of you that pee sitting down, this does not apply) The other hand is for reeling. Agreed many of the pro's swap hands after they cast. They also note that they loose quite a number of casts per day doing that! Orlando Wilson does not. He uses the baitcaster by casting with his right and reeling with his left. I saw this during a tourament years ago and made myself change what I was doing.
Yesah, I dont really use baitcasters in the salt anymore, I only have 2 left, and they are both what I consider "righty" (cast over my right shoulder, hold the rod to fight fish with my dominant arm...right, and do tha crankin with my left). I will be in the market for a new freshwater baitcaster setup, and I always shop for what they refer to as "lefty" now, and they always make less of them. To me, it will always be righty though.

#33 ·
Pictures are to show right-handed reels, which are on top, and the reels for lefties and those righties who never learned to hold their fishing rod with their dominant arm. HAHAHA :) ;)

Another useful analogy for the non-believers lol, when up to the plate in a game of baseball, and you're batting, if you're a righty...which hand is on top? And what shoulder is the bat above? RIGHT! Yesah.

It's the reel companies who have confused generations of anglers with this left-handed/right-handed reel crap! :lol:

#37 ·
OK, here's one for ya. Both, my brother and I (I am oldest 46 in family, he is youngest 32), are right handed, we do eveything righthanded...EXCEPT reel. We both use spinning reels, I reel with my left hand, he reels with his right, and neither of us can reel with the opposite hand.

#39 ·
I use "right handed" baitcasting reels exclusively, and am right handed. However, I "never" change the cranking lever on stock spinning reels "over to the right side" so that they match my baitcasters. So, I crank right handed with baitcasters and left handed on spinning reels. Go figure. I've always done it that way, and even being right handed, I'm not sure I could operate a spinning reel that has had the handle swapped over to the right side (as most spinners can do either still, yes?) It just wouldn't feel right to me.

#45 ·
stayin with the thread i'm righty, i cast fly rods over either shoulder but on my 9w rod i reel with the left but on my 11w spey rod i reel with my right as it is a two handed rod and i like to fight the fish with the glove on my left hand for spool control, as this is not the preffered method, if i get a monstah it won't matter what hand i retrieve with as i will need spool control/. now that will undoubtedly confuse some people. spinning, try a quadruple header! now thats hillarious (and a blast) always have someone pick up the rod that is most bent (if i'm fishing with multiple rods) but this happens to me less frequently as i haven;t the time to fish as i used to. last spring i got 70-100 pound cownose rays hit me like that.

#51 ·
Most lefty's. Then their are the one, who reel with right handed reels because they can't reel with there opposite hand. th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif
Same goes for Right'y

Nowadays they don't have that problem because the handle goes on both sides. In the old days they didn't. cigar.gif

The problem now is they don't know if there Right'y or Left'y :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.