Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How has your fall run been so far?

Tags
fall run
13K views 52 replies 40 participants last post by  Fish Whisperer 
#1 ·
The Bass are up to Joisey already. I was looking in the bay the other night and man they were cruising I was able to see HUGEEEEE wakes left and right and followed up by Snappers exploding out of the water.

Me?

I had a 4lb Weakfish on a Cherry Tomato from my Mcdonalds Salad. I was waiting for a friend to snag Bunker or get a snapper for me to liveline and it was really interesting.

I also had one short Weakie on a piece of chicken from the salad as well.

Either way it was pretty funny.

#3 ·
The schoolies have been here for a while. Cows seem to have finally arrived. I had a great end result this morning being a nice big fish for dinner.

It was one of those morning though. Mosquitos, birds nest in the dark, 2 lost fish due to skeeters, hooked a jacket, spilled the last of my coffee and my lighter ran out of fluid. Not that I'm complaining really. ;)

Now if I could just sneek away from work.......

#5 ·
Our Fall Run is here, and it has been better already this year than it was for me all last Fall. Fishing with Roc so far this Fall has ofcourse been great, and finding nice blitzes and stumbling upon a massive feeding frenzy along the coastline has been much easier than last year. Seems we are back to normal here in the Hampton area considering last year it was much different...not much bait around last year and blitzes were few and far between. But it seems like this year is already reminscent of Fall '03, '02, '01 and other years previous.

Depending on storms, I think the fishing will be good along the rocks for another 2 or 3 weeks.

#6 ·
Glad you guys up north are hammering um! That means they are headed down to the bay and Potomac for the spawn. Big fish should start showing up here by Holloween? All the 18"-24" fish are here now and hitting topwaters morning/evening/overcast days, or hardware around the blues when they run the bunker up on the points.

#7 ·
Finally

Been really slow this year. Blues are abundant as of this week. I hear stories of massive cows coming out of the river, but have yet to see anything. Late start this year, maybe a long season? icon_thumleft.gif

#11 ·
Only managed a bluefish. 50 bucks in gas and 20 more at the tackle shop. angry4.gif
Have to do better than that if it costs me a hunert bucks walkin out the door.
I Lost round one. :)

#12 ·
I had the Striper bite one morning while I was getting drenched in rain but after that it stopped again.Every now and then I watch the bays at night and see some wakes from a single large fish, its possible some Stripers are cruising but I can be wrong.

Supposedly Albacore is in Sheepshead Bay right now and around Brighton and Ceaser's Bay, but I always think that Albacore news is really a bunch of BS.

I haven't seen an Albacore from shore since 2000 when I nailed one off the surf next to a Jetty in about 5 feet of water and I am sure thats EXTREMELY RARE.

Has anyone been hitting Spanish Mackerels in NY/Northern JOISY?

There are some White Perch to hit in Rockaway says my brother but they are a 1lb only on a good day.

#13 ·
fall run in full effect north shore ipswich bay got 8 36" plus on tuesday nite..unbelievable fihing past two 1/2 weeks, we've caught 30 to 35 keepers since sept 1. Average fish about 20 pounds no kidding!! I have 2 young children so all my fishing is done past 8:00 at nite alot of times til 3 in the morning, our best nite yet was 18 keepers on 15 eels biggest was 44" 29.5 pounds we had 12 fish between 20 and 27 pounds...
eels ... nite ...shallow

#20 ·
Ahh yes... Had my head up my ass.

I could say RI is a friggen dead zone. You'd have to be crazy to fish there. You'd have better luck tea bagging in the bath tub. I go fish there when I want I break from actually catching. I could say there have been no big fish caught there this fall, and definitely no epic blitzes of big fish. I could say I've been so utterly turned off by fishing RI this fall that it shriveled up and fell off.

Yeah,,, I could say all that,,, but my mama taught me that lyin is the devil's buisness. thumbsup.gif

#21 ·
Ahh yes... Had my head up my ass.

I could say RI is a friggen dead zone. You'd have to be crazy to fish there. You'd have better luck tea bagging in the bath tub. I go fish there when I want I break from actually catching. I could say there have been no big fish caught there this fall, and definitely no epic blitzes of big fish. I could say I've been so utterly turned off by fishing RI this fall that it shriveled up and fell off.

Yeah,,, I could say all that,,, but my mama taught me that lyin is the devil's buisness. thumbsup.gif
ROLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 ·
Long time fisherman, very much a beginner with Stripers. First Post. What artifical lures (pix if possible) work along the Hudson(GWB) as well as surf casting off of Atlantic Beach and Long Beach NY? I live 5 minutes from 5 Hudson Piers on the Jersey side and want to take advantage. Should I just stick to Bunker and worms, clams in the ocean or does anything work for both locations?

Thanks

#25 ·
Boys...................The fall run is on. It's just begun. Billions of Mullet have invaded a specific shoreline with less than amicable access. It all started up again this afternoon, and it's killin me to watch it while I'm workin. The outer reefs and points of the islands are producing as well. It's still a night or very early morning game. If you aint catchin fish, you have got to be fishing at Lincoln Woods or some other fished out trout pond, cause you aint lookin for Stripers. Wind, tides, and sunrise are all telling you where to go.

#30 ·
Fishing still sucks down here in Staten Island / Raritan Bay... I heard no better in all of the NY bight area.....I heard fishing at the Mecca has been incredible.....will these move down in the next few weeks for us here in NYC and NJ? What do you experts think? or should I just pack my stuff away for next year?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.