Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How far do you travel to fish?

How far is your destination to travel for striperfishing?

75K views 111 replies 104 participants last post by  fishinmurph 
#1 ·
I travel two hours to the nearest Salt and 15 minutes to the upper Delaware,
very hit and miss for Stripers up this far.
It's 40 minutes to nearest freshwater impoundment but without a boat its pretty much just a nice day out.
I have traveled - from Maine to Virginia.
Eastern long Island is 4 1/2 hours.
How far is it for you?

#56 ·
I live about five minutes from one of the best Herring runs in Mass. The Town Brook Run in Plymouth. When the Herring are running there are some true cows in the area. I can reach several other tremendous fisheries within a half hour. I can drive to the north to Green Harbor. Another great Herring run. And the North, and South rivers which are also very large Herring runs. And we all know how big Bass love the Herring!!! And, then there's the Cape Cod Canal....the infamous Ditch!!! Which I can also reach in about twenty five minutes!

#57 ·
5 min from the River where I never catch any thing and I can follow that same river all the way to the flats, about 30-40 min away, where I occasionally catch something. Actually, I take that back, I caught one little striper in the river near my house. And 5-6 catfish.

Down river I have caught one Eel.

In the flats I have caught 4-5 Stripers.

That's it. In two years of (sadly) occasional fishing that's all I've gotten. My fresh water total isn't much better unless you count Pickerel. I am the Pickerel MASTER! I did catch ONE HUGE LMB once that was probably close to a record fish but I didn't know enough about fish then. I figured if I could catch it it must be about average. Nope. Oh well.

#63 ·
I fish a fairly wide stretch, both east and west of where I live. I figure about an hour until I'm fishing from the time I leave my house. This includes beach driving also.

Long ago, someone told me to learn my own back yard first and don't get distracted running around chasing second hand info. Learn what makes your area tick and then slowly spread out from there. It was good advise.

I'm one of the few that does not make the 1hr 40min trek to Montauk during the fall (or any other time). Haven't been out there in over 20 years, but might just give it a shot this fall, for old times sake LOL

#72 ·
Cape Cod is 10.5 hrs just love this wood plug in the canal. Took all week to get equipment sorted out and had some success. Will be back mid Sept. most likely from TBF on Champlain.

Steelheading/Salmon Northshore Lake Ontario 5 mins to Bowmanville Creek mostly fish Ganaraska River Port Hope Ont. 19 minutes.

Walleye, Smallies, Largies, Perch and Crappies just dozens of places with in 2 hrs.

Rice Lake, Pidgeon, Buckhorn, Chemong, Balsam, Lake Simcoe, Couching, Bay of Quinte are all favorites.

I fish Northern Pike Lake Muskoka 2.5 hrs

Muskys everywhere I don't normally target.

Ice fish a bit perch, Lake Trout.

Guess I like fishing.

#74 ·
im lucky enough to live smack in the middle of the hudson valley in the heart of the annual spawning run. have 4 great shore spots within 10 min either direction right in middle of what we like to call the magic triangle. known for lots of fis 40' plus. including my 48.5" in 07.man i love april-may