Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Which do you like the best for BIG striped bass?

POLL

Tags
poll
12K views 62 replies 41 participants last post by  jon006 
#1 ·
Please take this poll...

Also whatever you pick, please post a message & explain why you picked your answer.

#3 ·
clambellies

Herrin are the steak........eels are the icecream........but.. Clambellies are definetly the stinky cherry on top. why you ask????? see gallery, hahaha.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

show me 6 foot..........eh you guys know the routine. :D

#4 ·
Consistency

Call me old fashioned, but I've used this for years and it has always been consistent. I'm learning some new things that don't require a 4-6oz weight, so my view may change over time, but macks (for me) are steady producers and have been for a long time :D .

#5 ·
re:Best Bait

Out here in Mid-America, the Striper's mainstay forage food available
is Gizzard and Threadfin Shad. When they make their spawning runs up
the tributaries they will devour Trout and Skipjack herring when available.
However, I still have to agree with the others on the subject of Eels.
I have caught many Striper over the years with Eels in their belly. We often get
American Eels that make it it all the way here.
:p As a matter-of-fact, the stretch of water that I fish holds the
State Record for American Eels as well as the Striped Bass Record
we pulled out of there.
However, I have found that when using Eels, it is is primarily a :idea: night-time bite.

Rick In Oklahoma - Striped Bass State Record Holders @ 47.8 Lbs
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/big_fish_oklahoma

#6 ·
Re: Best Bait Poll

On the subject of this poll, I noticed that the first bait mentioned is the
Storm shad.

I came across the following story and thought that everyone might find it
interesting as well.

February 2, 2004
STATE RECORD STRIPED BASS LANDED

"A 63-pound striped bass caught on January 30th by Carolyn W. Brown of
Virginia Beach has been certified as a new Virginia state record by the
Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament...The record-setting striper was
fooled by a 9-inch Storm plastic bait being trolled as the trailing bait
behind a Mojo lure. "

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/vswft/state-record-striper_01-30-04.htm

#7 ·
Had to add live bait. Live lining a bunker. thats whats gonna set the new record. Some guy has a prototype flutter spoon resembling a flounder that has allegedly nailed a 60 plus and 2 more lost at the boat.

#9 ·
I blew the vote (not sure how), but I've caught some real nice fat girls on:

Eels, Clams, Storm Shad (9,6,5,4 inch, depending on bait in area), big wood (6"+danny's, needlefish), and bunker chunk. From a boat, tube and worm.

For me it really depends on the area. If you know big fish are near, and it's a spot you can bait and wait, it's tough to beat clams. I fish a lot of areas not so well suited to bait and wait (and my patience is not so great sometimes :lol: ), so I go with a lot of eels or artifical. You get mobility, and you can change your offering until they start to bite.

My biggest shore fish, 28#, came on a blue/white 3oz popper one night on a RI breachway - so I don't have the 30-40-50# bite figured out yet :lol:

#10 ·
I find that things can be really tricky at certain times of the season. During the Spring Run for instance, which is between about the 3rd or 4th week in May till around the end of June, the fish at the dams wont really touch live eels. They want live herring, because thats whats coming out tha fish ladder. I have fished live herring right across (maybe 50 feet) from people who were on a boat in the honeyhole fishing with live eels. They didnt get squat. We hammered 'em. They were baffled. Periodically, a topwarer bite will turn on at the Spring honeyhole, and you can throw poppers at the rocks in the suds and get banged. Then the topwater bite will just shut off. At times you can score with rubbah too. I had a 21# 37" on a Calcutta swim bait, they seem to prefer these over the Storms. Atleast there they do. I caught zero fish there during the Spring with Wildeyes. Then as mid-June creeps by, it becomes increasingly harder to catch Stripers with artificials. It gets to point where they will only hit live herring. I have been there at 4:30am, worked lures of all sorts until 8am, without a single bite. Then someone shows up with live herring, and bang. The fish are lying right in front of ya lol. That particular morning there was even a fly fisherman who was gettin' skunked. Sometimes I get lazy and dont feel like working to get the live herring lol.

And this is just the Spring time.

#11 ·
I'm also from Mid-America (Oklahoma) and while bait is the way to go, nothing beats the thrill of a fish hitting an artificial. That's why I chose the Storm Shad, although a bucktail jig or even better yet, a top water lure is my favorite. And dang it, now's the time to be using 'em and I'm at work just talking about it.
YEEHOOOOO

#12 ·
Where I fish Live BlueBack Herring because they are native. A little trick - cut the tail fin horizontaly once or twice (not to hurt it but to increase the sound as it swims). Chunk 'em too!
Macs
6" > Wild Eyes in Bunker pattern.
One thing not listed Santini tubes & worm
But what do I know ? I have only been addicted for a couple of years.
I can't wait to give eels another shot even though I fish off rock.

#18 ·
Welcome to the site rtquig. :lol: :lol:
I have a few buddies who live in Barneget who grew up clammin over your way. We used to have some very big parties in forked river.
I love South Jersey. Many firsts for me there. :twisted: :lol:
Anyhow welcome and enjoy.

#19 ·
Snapper and spot will take em big down south.
and in fresh its gizzard shad, threadfin shad, herring and bream
For me my biggest was on bunker. but I've good good size ones on eels and bunker heads. 8)

#26 ·
In the rivers: HERRING
Off the shore: Macks
Surfcasting or off the jetty: Clams
Off the rocks: Eels, rubber, chunk mack, or plugs, depending on season, etc.

There are so many variables, for me anyway. If I had to pick one type of bait to fish with for the rest of my life, it would probably be Herring. When the fish wont touch artificial presentations, Herring always seems to entice a bite sooner or later, atleast around here. When I want to catch fish, and they wont touch anything else, I throw some Herrin' at em. Spray a little "Dub-Dee" on theya, yesah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.