Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Do you think fishing locations should be displayed without editing on public forums?

• Never - only general area information or in private

Votes: 112 39.4%
  • Always - You have to know how to fish anyway

Votes: 56 19.7%
  • In certain circumstances when its in an online print magazines and already well known

Votes: 63 22.2%
  • Never only upon death and then lie about it.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Could care less if i dont fish the area

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Could care less period.

Votes: 24 8.5%

Public Forum Spot Giving Poll

72K views 77 replies 49 participants last post by  treedude363 
#1 ·
What is your opinion on the issue?

#32 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum; but I have to admit I have trolled it several times for tips. I noticed this a touchy subject here and I just wanted to add my certain perspective to anybody willing to listen. I'm new to fishing and yet to go fishing for stripers (I'm looking forward to it). I started on my own, I never had anybody to take me fishing and had no idea (and still don't) what I was doing. I would walk up and down the shoreline of a lake for hours, studying local maps, getting tid bits of information from many sources trying to find fish and catch them. If I wasn't so stubborn, and persistent and also dreaming of giving my nephews the opportunity to do something other than play video games; I would have quit two years ago. Whenever I'm shore fishing by myself on lake upstate I didn't mind coming back empty handed since I'm still learning and never go out with any expectation other than learning. When i do go out with my nephews it sucks taking them out and not having them get on any fish and these are times when this information would be helpful. As I'm writing this I'm trying to plan out a trip to go fishing for stripers with them, and I'm using google maps to check out the shore line for details with not much of an idea where to start (I'm still reading the newbie thread about reading the surf) with out physically being there. I haven't caught many fish over the past 3 years, and I have no way of really knowing what I'm doing is wrong other than the fact I have caught no fish. How do I really know if I what I was doing is right if I have no idea fish are there? If someone told me yes something is in there don't give up, I see for myself, or landed a fish and lost it because I didn't know how to set a hook. It doesn't always hurt to know where the fish are since the second step in fishing (at least from what I learned) is finding the fish. You still have to have the right lure/presentation for the type of fish/water. Anybody lazy just looking for a quick bite will always ignore the first step that a loner who has ever gone fishing learned the hard way. Always check your equipment and prepare (that includes tackle and location). Having the general or specific information available to the public wont hurt as much it would help. If someone chose to post a spot in good taste it's not detrimental. If it's done in poor taste then it's just wrong, say for example someone gave a spot in private and then that spot was posted to the whole world to see. I believe it should be handled on a case by case basis. I just wanted to give my perspective, it may be unique; but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there trying hard. I do appreciate you guys taking (and the many others on the web and print) the time out to write the tutorials and passing information on, it will keep the sport alive for many years to come.

#33 ·
breaker said:
available to the public wont hurt as much it would help. If someone chose to post a spot in good taste it's not detrimental. If it's done in poor taste then it's just wrong, say for example someone gave a spot in private and then that spot was posted to the whole world to see
Im confused.
I totally disagree and agree. What is in good taste thats not detrimental If 100 people show up where you are trying to fish because spotburn.com posted gps coordinates where the hot bite is? - We PM each other with sensitive info. If it gets posted on the net somewhere else so be it. We arent here to police the net. But we wont be known as spotburn central as long as I can help it. There are dozens of publications that give away coordinates. That isnt our style. The reason we exist in the first place was to teach and learn and to try to help the new guy become stewards of our resource.
The "take two with you" idea is ingrained in our heads thanks to members like Joe Wiz.
Always take away two pieces of trash when you leave besides your own.
Thats much more important to us than letting the lazy fat asses know where the bite is happening. We try to get out and make our own reports. No-one has to tell the vets where to go to find a fish. Do they know? Definately not all the time. Where they are likely to be found at a particular tide and weather condition has to come from log books and experience on the water.

#36 ·
That there is the real deal and is what can happen when a bite gets posted onto the Internet.
The word leaked out and the place went nuts.
The boardwalk behind the jetty had a crowd of fishermen on it every day for two weeks. If some bait showed, or, God help him, someone caught a fish, the entire mob would go racing down to start casting - total mayhem, dangerous, unfishable mayhem.

I know because it's one of my regular spots and I took the picture.
Sure as Hell didn't fish there that day, took one look, got disgusted, took the photo, and went off to try and find fish elsewhere.

Went down with my wife and kids just to go to the beach a few days later. Took this picture
Click on it to see it full size.

Water Sky Beach Natural environment Body of water

#37 ·
that there is the real deal and is what can happen when a bite gets posted onto the internet.
The word leaked out and the place went nuts.
The boardwalk behind the jetty had a crowd of fishermen on it every day for two weeks. If some bait showed, or, god help him, someone caught a fish, the entire mob would go racing down to start casting - total mayhem, dangerous, unfishable mayhem.

I know because it's one of my regular spots and i took the picture.
Sure as hell didn't fish there that day, took one look, got disgusted, took the photo, and went off to try and find fish elsewhere.

Went down with my wife and kids just to go to the beach a few days later. Took this picture
click on it to see it full size.

View attachment 12926
sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 ·
no,fishing spots should never be given out in detail.pm or email is the best bet in my opinion.the pictures posted speak for themself.if giving location detail wouldn't be abused it would be a first for me to see this.i've seen in a few cases where someone is having a good time fishing bringing striper's in.when people see this they houver over to the area where the fish are being caught.to the point where it becomes almost impossible to cast your bait or whatever.just my opinion,thanks:usa:

#39 ·
I think spots should be kept off any forum. Im pm or face to face that is on the person giving it out.

Unfortunatly I learned fishing the hard way no one in my family fished.gave it up around 10 out of frustration. 2nd go around I payed attention to what everyone was doin what they caught their fish on.

I had to find all my spots on my own.Perfect my presentation

Now that I started striper fishing Im sort of back to square 1. I personally find that the enjoyable part of fishing myself.

I voted never on the forum. who wants thier spots taken away or have some amatuer fisherman ruin it and trash it up.

#40 ·
Spot burning is an issue for the ages!!!!Being a sand bound fisherman the burn can really hurt when the fish are moving.Any of us who hit the beach hard and find fish during the run see the effect of the burn.It turns a beach into a mall.I'm against specific locations being posted but I will tell a friend where I caught.A little illustration........

Thanksgiving day 2009 Brick beach 2 we slaughtered bass for 2 hours straight on the middle of incoming.Man if we caught 1 we caught 70.T-hex and teasers sometimes 2 at once.The next morning my buddies who I was fishing with went back and viola there was like 100 guy's there.Now only 2 guy's knew we where on the second bar and knew exactly where we where fishing but for the love of Mike!!!@##@%$##$!@%%^!!!

It seems somebody who saw us fishing posted it somewhere and totally lit it up!

The whole issue is insane especially when dealing with migrating fish.The golden window of opportunity is often fleeting and to chase yesterdays news is often fruitless.You should have been here yesterday!!!!!!
The battle cry of the sharpie!!!!

FC

#41 ·
I too am a sand fisherman. I have caught stripers from the beach, only to then be mob by others throwing lines in the water right next to me. Yes this is frustrating, , , extremely frustrating. I simply pack up and move, the quick strike guys arent fishermen, most of the time they are i'll equiped or have no clue as to they are doing, , Sand fishing is different than river beacuse whats there today, isnt going to be there after a tidal changes or let a lone the next day. I have surf fished many a sand tournament and the results from one session to another are profoundly different, a spot that is hot for the morning session produces nothing in the afternoon. River fishing, yes you have humps, holes and structure that are static so i understand the PM or face to face about that information. When I beach fish I'm willing to bestoy knowledge to kids or father son / daughter teams if the father is not an @#$% and trust me there are alot of them out there.
I dont specifically say throw it here or there, more of technique or bait being used. I have had father and son / daughter stop and chat, had a strike and let the son / daughter reel it in , , , the look of excitement, the smile on their face says it all, , , , they are hooked for life, , ,

River spots, , I can understand not releasing specifics, , ,
Beaches, , learn to read the beach, bait and patterns

take a child fishing, ,

#42 ·
Broadcasting spot specific information is the quickest way I know to make enemies. It's not even about what you do to yourself, and it's not about being selfish, it's about what you do to other people when you open your mouth.

Fishermen who have spent years figuring bites and patterns don't deserve to get run off their spots by the lazy masses of Internet fishermen, just because somebody wants to be a hero and "help" everybody.

Even when you think you are being general (read clever) you still can't be sure that you won't ruin it for others. I had this happen to me years ago. I posted a report and used the general location dropdown. I was in the bay, about half a mile from the inlet, but when the report was read, all the report chasers assumed I was talking about the inlet. The guys fishing the jetty there (and on a good bite themselves) weren't too happy with me. For 3 nights the rocks were crawling with those ill-equipped to fish them and the regulars were crowded off the rocks and unable to catch the fish that the chasers couldn't.

Never posted reports after that. I have too much respect for the surf fishing community to risk screwing it up for others. So once again, it's not what you do to yourself, it's about what you do to others and being accountable for your actions.

If you really want to help, mentor a few young guys, and teach them the right way and make them leave their iphones in the truck while fishing LOL.

#44 ·
Geesh and I got reprimanded by mods on here for NOT giving away spot burns to a 1st time poster
That is not true John. You know that's not what the reprimand was for. The reprimand was for how you told the guy to not ask for fishing spots, not that you didn't give him any. New guys sign up and ask for fishing locations all the time. There's a polite and respectful way to respond to them without burning any spots. :icon_thumright:

#45 ·
I would never, nor expect others to openly post hot spots online. I agree this is just a terrible idea. Posting the spots, only creates a dangerous and unfun day.
I am new, again, to Striper Fishing and relearning all the ins and outs. I am originally from the North Shore of Boston and knew many spots from Plum Island to Buzzards Bay. I am currently living in the Hartford, CT area and have spent most of the past few years fishing inland for trout and Largemouths. The end of last season I purchased a 21' boat and have been trying my luck at Stripers. I have been working at it this year and have only one non-keeper to show for it. I will not give up and will continue to search for my spot.
I appreciate all the "advice" I find here and other places. My grandson and I are still hunting the big one and hopefully soon will post pics of that cow we worked so hard for.
As far as giving others hot spot information, I would say I will take you fishing with me and teach you how I play the game.
Great forum here, keep up the good work.

#46 ·
I am on both sides of the fence with some of the replies, I live in the Bronx, plenty of people in NY fishing. I have some good spots that I consider honey holes but people fish in the general areas doesn't upset me much, because you still need to know what your doing. I also fish a lot of L.I. and Montauk not such a secret area but there are better positions , and circumstances that make the difference. people that catch fish no this and the ones that don't catch by luck and without regularity. How many times have we fished a so called burned popular spot and still outfish others with lesser knowledge and persistance. I don't just give away information because I usually dont talk to many people when I am out fishing, usually just general thoughts and other b.s.. But the mods can edit and I can pm it is fine , don't have much problem with it. For me I actually like the feeling of working a spot that people are in ,plucking a couple of fish and going home and watching them look in as, like what the hell just happened. That to me is better than having a spot that no one knows about all to yourself, even though that is sweet also,just not as rewarding sometimes. Just my .02 and like I said agree with a little of both. Good fishing to all ChefBX.

#49 ·
I think general locations such as Montauk, Robert Moses, or North Fork are fine.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and read the Fisherman mag. My Pop and I would take the boat out into the Great South or Moriches Bays and I'd always wonder why everyone anchored up and fished near the bouys... duhhh .... the fishing reports!

#52 ·
Well I just recently asked "Has anyone heard of any fish being caught in waters south of here? " in the rockhoppers forum. Still 0 replies what I meant was ie, Rhode Island, Fall River, and such. Not will you please hold my hand, and take me to you "SECRET SPOT" I just wanted to know if there were any fish in the general area, or approaching MA. now if I d say so myself that is pretty damned non-descript!! Too many tight asses in the world...lmao!!! JUST REMEMBER...YOUR SO CALLED SECRET SPOT...AS YOU REFER TO IT AS!!! WAS FISHED WAY BEFORE YOU CAME ALONG...AND WILL BE!!! LONG...LONG AFTER YOU ARE GONE!!! JUST SAYING! SOMETIMES THE TRUTH STINGS A LIL!!!!

#53 ·
this is a touchy subject in a forum that people are checking specifically for locating schools of fish. Im the guy doin as much research as physically possible and pushing my body to the extremes puttin in hard work and long days. I have earned every bit of experiance, knowledge, and honey holes that i now have.Hard work like this can go to ruin by publically postin locations.when you post something on an online forum its much more extreme than postin a pic or info at a local baitshop. i believe on sharing my passion and want people to be able to catch fsh like i do but certain knowledge must be dealt to the right hands. theres no filter for what info gets passed on via the internet. so what might seem like helpin some buddies out turns into anyone in the world can see what you just wrote. When im on here im just tryin to get a better idea of for trackin schools of fish or get a few or give a few tips. keep your post vague enough so that people can still get the info they need. only the dedicated, skilled, and deserving anglers will be able to locate your honeyhole unless you burn that spot. but anyone willin to put there time in is more than welcome to fish besides me...pm or emails are best for sensative info, ive watched my favorite spots get burned and harder to fish everyyear. perfect example is the guys that got busted in catskill poachin walleye.they werent even local guys, but heard through the grapevine all about the fishing, i busted them guys and now there takin extra steps to add strict regulations to protect them fish

#56 ·
I have only been fishing 2 times in tidal waters and (got skunked) excluding crabbing, however
I'd feel like a schmuck asking a complete stranger where to go. When I started crabbing I started for no other reason than to spend time with my wife and son and if we caught something it was just a bonus. I love the adventure of getting ready the night before. I love tucking my 6 yr old in for a good night sleep as he rambles on about filling the boat with our catch.
So the moral of my story is: Tonight when I tuck the little man in the only thing on my mind will be, boy I can't wait for tomorrows adventure, not honey I need to get online to get a spot for tomorrow...

#57 ·
My main problem is with a particular outdoor reporter in the SF Bay Area who has published info and directions on so many spots that we started a ground roots movement to boycott anything the guy publishes. The number of poachers and fools he has sent to the beaches, bays, rivers and lakes is beyond belief. Fortunately he has not found my secret beach yet! Everywhere he publishes gets overrun, fished out and polluted.
I't is so frustrating
CrackPlugger
:frustrated:

#58 ·
My main problem is with a particular outdoor reporter in the SF Bay Area who has published info and directions on so many spots that we started a ground roots movement to boycott anything the guy publishes. The number of poachers and fools he has sent to the beaches, bays, rivers and lakes is beyond belief. Fortunately he has not found my secret beach yet! Everywhere he publishes gets overrun, fished out and polluted.
I't is so frustrating
CrackPlugger
:frustrated:
And there we have it, folks. This is why posting that sort of information publicly here is against the policy of this forum! It may appear on the surface to be helpful and shared with the best of intentions, but the reality is all too often not such a pretty picture.

#59 ·
I feel like I have to worry less than maybe a lot of people on here do about spot locations. I basically don't fish anywhere that you couldn't learn about by asking at a local bait shop, or just by seeing someone else there. Everywhere I go is a pretty public spot. The place where I go most often is just the most convenient. If that area were to become overrun like in the pic a couple pages ago I don't think many of them would want to come back as there aren't enough fish there, and I think they'd get skunked and move on. I think it would mostly be local people that I'd have to worry about from a spot given away on the world wide web. Anyone 'from away' may need the help to find these spots on a vacation, but I don't think there'd be any special trips from much of a distance away for anywhere I fish, as there is probably better fishing closer to them. I will agree that an internet post can increase traffic to a spot and maybe spoil it. Telling a single person can do the same in the same way a pyramid scheme works.

#60 ·
Personally I believe it is up the person who may or may not want to help out another angler. Just share it a PM. To anyone who has paid their dues (I've been out there for 30 yrs) it is your decision weather you think a person can handle the knowledge. I enjoy (sometimes more than fishing it self) turning people onto fish and sharing that bit of enjoyment that they get to endure one of the greatest sports around. However, I do not post it out their for the world to see.

So it all comes down to common sense. Live and let live. Its a better bet.

Let the lines rip!!! :icon_twisted:cadicted.gif

#62 ·
Hi All!

First off, Im brand new to striper fishing and surf casting... last year was my first. I was immediately hooked (no pun intended). Im learning and still very new but, I certainly wouldnt want anyone telling me exactly where to fish. Its trial and error. I like that the forums teach me about rods, reels, type of line to use, bait or rigs, night or day etc. Forgive me if I don't use all the right terminology. Having said that, I voted for circumstances. If I was to find a hot spot (lol... impossible since I've only been to one place several times) I may share it with someone I knew or PM someone who was being helpful to me. Last year, I only caught one keeper (31.75") but a lot of almost legals and the rest were small guys and a ton of fricken crab... grrr. Either way I catch and release. I just have fun and love the feeling when I feel a strike or see my pole bend and reel that sucker in! This year, I will keep one or two since I have learned they are good eating. So, if anyone wants to tell me how the moon phases play into the fish, how the tides effect getting some good bites or the best way to keep my darn clams on my hook... Im all ears.

Heres to wishing everyone an amazing season!

Take care,
Stripergurl

P.S. Im also new to the forum and this was my first post! Cherry's Broken!!! :icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

#65 ·
Hi All!

First off, Im brand new to striper fishing and surf casting... last year was my first. I was immediately hooked (no pun intended). Im learning and still very new but, I certainly wouldnt want anyone telling me exactly where to fish. Its trial and error. I like that the forums teach me about rods, reels, type of line to use, bait or rigs, night or day etc. Forgive me if I don't use all the right terminology. Having said that, I voted for circumstances. If I was to find a hot spot (lol... impossible since I've only been to one place several times) I may share it with someone I knew or PM someone who was being helpful to me. Last year, I only caught one keeper (31.75") but a lot of almost legals and the rest were small guys and a ton of fricken crab... grrr. Either way I catch and release. I just have fun and love the feeling when I feel a strike or see my pole bend and reel that sucker in! This year, I will keep one or two since I have learned they are good eating. So, if anyone wants to tell me how the moon phases play into the fish, how the tides effect getting some good bites or the best way to keep my darn clams on my hook... Im all ears.

Heres to wishing everyone an amazing season!

Take care,
Stripergurl

P.S. Im also new to the forum and this was my first post! Cherry's Broken!!! :icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright:
Nice post... you obviosly "get it"... where do you do most of your fishing... great bay?...Hampton...Rye or Plum island...alot of nice fish around last year ( plum Island) and alot of large mediums ( 10lb class).. should be a good year for 12--15lb fish.. catch 'em up...and welcome to the site..

I Presented a Striper fishing seminar at the trinity baptist chrch in concord for their 10th anual sportmans show...a few weeks back( 4/5).. too bad you didn't see the post here for it.. you would have enjoyed the talk..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.