Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Screen names Where did your username come from?

31K views 150 replies 107 participants last post by  jd371 
#1 ·
Screen names. Some are really odd, some are really clever, some are obvious and some are generic.
Striperjim was easy, not too clever, nor creative, pretty generic.
I've always been curious about the names fishermen (women) take, or have been given. Anyone have any stories on their member names or selections?
Some are very cool I bet. thumbsup.gif

#122 ·
Hi all!
Nothing unusual here either! David from NH Seacoast. Just a 14 mile stretch of rocky Striper Surf Fishing heaven, I call my back yard.
This thread reminds me of a thread I started at another site called, "Show your ugly mug!"
in a photo! It produced close to a thousand posts last I saw. Really nice to put a face to a name.

#124 ·
My screen name here is ualjohn266, the ual is for united air lines where I used to work. The john is my first name and 266 is my old bagde numer, I am a retired police officer. My boat name is CRAZY 8 . That is from when all six kids the wife and I started fishing the big water and bought our first 24 footer.

#125 ·
as for mine, I used to play paintball when I was younger "only 22" wasnt to much younger, you would hide behind bunkers and i'd always be the guy to shoot apart the other guys bunker with paint and finally get him out. Now that im out fishing again my preferred choice of bait for these stripers would be bunker. A little merge and you have myname...fish.gif

#126 ·
Mine is pretty obvious, well at least the DJ part. I have been a professional DJ for 25 years, the club and mobile scene here in L.A. The Rude Dogg part came from dance crew that I was in back in high school a group of us guys called ourselves the Rude Doggz, were were also a jazz saxophone section and did kind of a SKA/Reggae thing with long trenchcoats and 40's style Fedoras. So I guess my name is more musical related (obviously) than fishing. I have used the name RuDeDoGG or DJ RuDeDoGG or RudeDog66 on a number of fishing, Pro DJ, Automotive, astronomy, amateur radio and music related sites for well over 10 years, oh and of course FaceBook and MySpace.

#128 ·
When I was in college me and a group of guys would fish largemouth and small mouth at different ponds around the area we lived. "Jackbass" was a name we would use to refer to ourselves when we were catching fish almost like an alter ego. Jackbass was like the ultimate fisherman I guess "That's why they call me "Jackbass" kind of thing. It was just a fun thing we would do. At the end of the outing someone was alway the "Jackbass" of the day.

So I used it for my screen name.

#129 ·
Bowditch Bay is a fictitious body of water featured on an instructional nautical chart. I first ran into this chart during a USCG Power Squadron course with my kids. When the kids asked me where Bowditch Bay was I told them it must be nautical slang for running aground. Dead Man's Cove, Ship Wreck Ledge, Bowditch Bay, that sort of thing. I could not have been more wrong.
Turns out Nathaniel Bowditch, born 1773 in Salem, MA was a sea loving mathematician and is considered the father of modern maritime navigation. His book The New American Practical Navigator, first published in 1802, is still carried onboard every commissioned U.S. Naval vessel.
Since I splash about looking for stripers in Mr. Bowditch's native Salem waters and use his charts to keep from getting lost I thought I'd give him this nod for good luck on both fronts.

#130 ·
"Carry on Mr. Bowditch" is a great book for the Kids to read too. Particularly if they are into the ocean. Nathaniel Bowditch was an original Yankee! In the Yankee ingenuity sense. He never went to college and learned pretty much everything from self study and being on the water. He was later in life given an honorary degree from Harvard, he was sitting in the gallery at the commencement and didn't even know he was going to receive the honor.

That is your Clavinism of the day.

#133 ·
My name is Jeff. Once upon a time in 1986, I believe, I was 18. My cousin got married and I had a few drinks at her reception. Then I went to a friends high school graduation party and had a few more. On the return home I staggered to another friends door only to realize that there was a party going on there as well. I stayed for quite a few more cocktails. During this period I was introduced to another friends new girlfriend. Sometime during the party she was yelling across the room. "Biff, Biff, hey Biff " her boyfriend looked at her and said "who the f#@$ are you talking to" and she pointed at me and said "him aint his name Biff?" From that point on I was and am still known as Biff. Since I had no choice in the name I figured I would at least spell it the way I wanted to and came up with BYF.

In short I was too drunk to defend myself.

#136 ·
moby dick, i like the first paragraph:

"Call me Ishmael. ... Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. ... If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me."

#141 ·
My screen name seems to need no explanation, hell we're on a fishing forum. But here's the twist... it was I who "GotHooked" into the sport of striper fishing this season and not so much the snaring of our prestigious adversaries we stalk through the long hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.