Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Cant fish for Bass whats your next favorite target?

Cant fish for Bass whats your next favorite target?

11K views 62 replies 49 participants last post by  mainesurfcasta 
#1 ·
Bass are scarce and you want to get some fish. If you had to narrow it down to one type, what species would you target?

#53 ·
in freshwater i love fishing for smallmouth then largemouth in that order, in saltwater anytime i get offshore i'm in heaven.....but when i can get to the salt i am usually stranded to shore whether it is in jersey for weakies, fluke and blues or the outer banks for reds specks and fluke........i especially love fishing for reds because i can use most of my largemouth stuff for them, although i still find ways to need to buy things for vacation......"But honey, I NEED this!"thumbsup.gif

#55 ·
What, I'm the only guy here showing any love for the Carp ??

Tie an equal sized striper and carp tail to tail and the carp will pull the bass all over the place. Hooking a good one is like attaching your line to a cement truck, you'd better have a good drag.
The closest fish I can compare the fight of a big carp to is Red Drum (from what I hear, I've never fished for drum) - the big difference is that carp are SMART!! I've hooked quite a few but I've yet to land one over 25lb. If you do manage to trick a fat old slug into biting at all it'll will know exactly where every snag in the the area is and will make a beeline to the nearest one in an attempt to break you off (bastages!!)

#56 ·
Depends on so much.
Spring
For eating - Blackbacks, squid
For catchin - Lg. Mouth and Pike

Summer
For eating - Fluke, Black Sea bass, squid
Catchin - Lg. & Sma. mouth bass, Blues on the Fly

Fall
For eating - Taug
For catching - Lg. mouth bass

Of course all this gets bypassed if there's Blue Shell Crabs to be had!
3 more weeks til winter flounder season and maybe squid,,, maybe.

#61 ·
i'd go w/ just about any species of tuna when they are around...... wahoo kick ass too......take a tuna grab him by the nose and tail,stretch him out and then throw some razors in his mouth and you have a wahoo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.