Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Which do you like the best for BIG striped bass?

POLL

Tags
poll
12K views 62 replies 41 participants last post by  jon006 
#1 ·
Please take this poll...

Also whatever you pick, please post a message & explain why you picked your answer.

#53 ·
Eels proved tougher to get last year for me. The local shops werent carrying them as often. This year ill order some in advance and try to keep them alive. Its still hard to beat bunker noggins in Raritan bay.

#56 ·
Not a fair question - it depends on what time of the year.
When the big bunker are running the beach it's hand over fist 20's and 30's
Early spring when the water's cold it's clams and worms
Fall, when the bait is small, is eel time.

My biggest are all on plugs (Jersey blitz fish that don't really count) the rest are on bunker heads with a few good ones on eels (which I should fish more).

#57 ·
I find herring and even sea worms work best at the Mouth of the Merrimack River early on in the season. Come June and July drifts on the out tide with Ells are the trick.

Any word on if the Stripers are here yet? I am ready to go in next week !

Captain Kidd

#60 ·
That's a tough poll to grade fairly.First any bait will if the situation is right catch a "big" fish.I have been in some blitzes up in the Cape ,eel fishing thrown out a bunker and couldn't get arrested.I have had "big" fish on bunker in our own backyard that being Jamaica Bay and surrounding areas,and have done real good on live herring on both ends of the season begining and end.So I think geography plays a big role in that equation,The Cape ,Rhode Island I'll favor eeling,down our ways NY Bight and NJ I'll take bunker.I think when all is accounted for time.skill ,effort and presentation tip the scales rather than bait.

#63 ·
Eels have worked well for me in the past at night with big bass. So they would be my choice, with the right conditions and big bass around eels are almost the sure bet for big linsiders.

Of course there is really no sure bet but they come close enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.