Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

In the last 5 years, have you been officially surveyed about your recreational striped bass harvest?

• Yes, and I completed the survey honestly.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Yes, and I completed the survey giving bogus answers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was contacted, but chose not to complete the survey.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • No, I have not been surveyed in the last 5 years.

Votes: 159 81.5%

Have you been surveyed?

Tags
surveyed
37K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  johnjohn39 
#1 ·
Within the last 5 years, have you, as a recreational striped bass fisherman, been contacted by a representative of either the ASMFC or your state's fisheries management commission to complete an official survey regarding your recreational striped bass fishing habits & harvest?

The poll is anonymous, no one can see the user names of those who vote on this poll.

#3 ·
This is the means by which the folks who manage the fishery 'know' that recreational fishermen have killed an average of 25,403,865 striped bass per year on the east coast since 2003. Yep,,, that's a real number they pulled out of the hat.

Just curious how many of you have actually been surveyed in recent years. :icon_wekke:

#4 ·
Here's an example of just how effective this method of data collection is,,,, the results of the 2010 phone survey conducted in Rhode Island in 2010.

Out of 73,024 phone calls made in 2010, only 346 reached "Eligible Fishing Households". That's a 0.47% success rate of reaching someone who fishes. The report does not detail how many of those 346 who were reached actually fish specifically for striped bass with any regularity,,, I'm sure not all of them, bringing the percentage even lower.

This raises 2 questions in my mind:
1. Where do you think the recreation harvest numbers really come from?
2. Do you feel they are accurate enough to be used in managing the fishery?

Attachments

#7 ·
I answered yes (#1) but if you ment phone survey that would be no, I've been surveyed 6 times in the last 5 years, 5 times at the boat ramp and one big survey by mail all by noaa, I never really trusted the survey though, the questions mostly want to know about how much money you spent (and I spent a lot), but eventhough im not a commercial fisherman I would not like it if they used my info to attack them in some way, or anyone else for that matter

#11 ·
nope never been surveyed or even heard of it for that matter pretty lame huh sad fact cause that is some really important info they should only call people who have purchased fishing license in the last three years or somthing it just seems more effective to call only the people who fish as apposed to wasting time on those who dont right like i said at the start of all this pretty lame !!!

#12 ·
I have not been surveyed but I do fill out a report and turn it in when I do fish. We have not fished much this last year so not to many reports. If they send me a written form to fill out I would do it right. Now if they call they will not get me to answer if they do not post a name and number on the answering machine. I use cochlear implants and I can have a hard time hearing on the phone.

#13 ·
Jake....In california, we're always getting surveyed at the docks...Only informational..Maybe in yourcase they're trying to justify their jobs...Doesn't seem very accurate In our state when we call for a DFG officer for violations, we're told "theys no one here to send you, sorry" Yet they continue to survey..And we pay about $50 per license a year...Jim

#14 ·
Not once in over 45 years of striper fishing.. then again.. my fishing is not on a 9-5 schedule.. .. and I hate telelphones and wont answer unless I recognise the number...... the only time I filled out a report was when I fished comercially..and I haven't dont that since 2004.

#19 ·
We have very few true Stripers in Ohio but they used to do live creel surveys at the dam I fish on the Ohio River. The states along the river stock Hybrid Stripers and the limit is 30 a day with 4 over 15". The surveyors would actually tell us to say that we caught more than we actually did so the states would keep stocking them. They are a put & take fish and most people keep very few anyway but that's how they said to do it. All paper surveys now, take one out of the box, fill it out and send it in. They do keep it full too,,,

#22 ·
The program is a joke. Neither myself nor my buds have been contacted. I live in Portsmouth Virginia and have been fishing for 20 years in the rivers, bay , and ocean. If the folks that regulate the fishery think things are ok they have their head buried in the sand. The last three years I have seen a dramatic decline in catches on my boat and many of my buddies boats as we'll. I remember back in the 90's and early 2000's seeing Stripers stacked up in the light line at most of our bridges on any given night. Most folks would come back with fish. I have been in the open water observing large schools of COWS rolling feeding on schools of Menhaden. I have not seen this many years. The decline is caused by run off pollution, Omega Protein raping the Menhaden, and poor management. I will guarantee that if something is not done NOW we will not have a Stripe Bass fishery for generations to come.

#25 ·
I have been surveyed 3 times while surf casting and it is a pain. I was even surveyed during a blues blitz. I will try to avoid it if at all possible. Even telling the person that I am not a fisherman. Of course that might be hard to do standing there with an 11' Ron Arra

#27 ·
Funny you ask. Just last week I joined a NYS DEC log book program. They are sending a log book that I will enter info each time I fish the Hudson River for stripers. Then at the end of the season I will send back my info. for them to add to their data base. New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

21 S. Putt Corners Rd., New Paltz, NY 12561

P: (845) 256-3009 | F: (845) 255-1701 | jessica.best@dec.ny.gov

Before this, I never heard of any surveys for Hudson River Stripers.

johnjohn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.