Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Heroes, and Warriors...................

25K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  royalrentals 
#1 ·
I have been blessed by knowing many. I remember them all, the ones that taught me, and the ones I trained. I remember those that gave their lives in peace as well as conflict, I remember those that sacrificed themselves so that I could go on, Mike laid his body on a Grenade sheilding those of us from the majority of the blast that surely would have killed me and 25 others in close proximity. 6 were wounded with schrappnel, I came out physically unscathed..............................
There are those that in dress uniform could hardly stand straight from the medals on their chest, that you never would have guessed by the humble humility they showed................ earned when as they put it, were just doing what they needed to do.........................
Every conflict, War, has it's detractors, we are free to express our displeasures as Americans, because we have Warriors willing to give up these freedoms in order to defend ours.
I THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE THAT HAS OR IS CURRENTLY DOING SO

#33 ·
I was just digging around the site and came across this thread. All I can say is WOW. I grew up in a military household. My Dad was a weapons instructor in the Marine Corps. This is overwhelming to me. I am in tears as I type this. To all those who served they should be remembered every day and don't wait until Memorial Day to think about them.

Some great stuff in here guys.
:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

#36 ·
My uncle was shot in WW2, My Father in-law was a POW in WW2, Grandfather fought in WW1 & my father who lost his battle with cancer in December was 20 years old when he fought in "The Battle of Pork Chop Hill" In Korea.

His wish was to be burred in "Calverton National Cemetery" With his lifelong friends from that battle.

12 hours before he was to go to Calverton, we were told they would not let him in, no records!

"the custodian of military service records, lost approximately 16-18 million official military personnel records as a result of the fire"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_National_Archives_Fire

We were lucky to find his discharge papers after hours of searching.

Now he rests with his friends.

Thanks, to all that served for our Country!

#37 ·
I don't know or never met this man. But servicemen like him make me proud to be an American.
I received this as an email then checked its accuracies
Navy Petty Officer Mike Monsoor
PO2 (EOD2) (Explosive Ordnance Disposal)
Mike Monsoor, a Navy EOD Technician, was
Awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor
Posthumously for jumping on a grenade in Iraq,
Giving his life to save his fellow Seals.
(Notice: Mike was not a Navy SEAL, he was EOD.
He gave his life to save a group of Navy SEALS.)

During Mike Monsoor's funeral in San Diego,
As his coffin was being moved from the hearse
To the grave site at Ft. Rosecrans National
Cemetery, SEAL's were lined up on both sides
Of the pallbearers route forming a column of two's,
With the coffin moving up the center. As Mike's
Coffin passed, each SEAL, having removed his
Gold Trident from his uniform, slapped it down
Embedding the Trident in the wooden coffin.

The slaps were audible from across the cemetery; by the time the coffin arrived grave side, it looked as though it had a gold inlay from all the Tridents pinned to it.
This was a fitting send-off for a warrior hero...
This should be front-page news instead of the crap we see every day. Since the media won't make this news,
I choose to make it news by forwarding it.
I am very proud of our military. If you are proud too, please pass this on. If not then rest assured that these fine men and women of our military will continue to serve and protect.

God Bless our Troops

This what I Found

I can't copy and paste from this site so here is the link
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/monsoor.asp

Also this:

Petty Officer Michael A. Monsoor, United States Navy, distinguished himself through conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a Combat Advisor and Automatic Weapons Gunner for Naval Special Warfare Task Group Arabian Peninsula in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom on 29 September 2006. He displayed great personal courage and exceptional bravery while conducting operations in enemy held territory at Ar Ramadi Iraq.
During Operation Kentucky Jumper, a combined Coalition battalion clearance and isolation operation in southern Ar Ramadi, he served as automatic weapons gunner in a combined SEAL and Iraqi Army (IA) sniper overwatch element positioned on a residential rooftop in a violent sector and historical stronghold for insurgents. In the morning, his team observed four enemy fighters armed with AK-47s reconnoitering from roads in the sector to conduct follow-on attacks. SEAL snipers from his roof engaged two of them which resulted in one enemy wounded in action and one enemy killed in action. A mutually supporting SEAL/IA position also killed an enemy fighter during the morning hours. After the engagements, the local populace blocked off the roads in the area with rocks to keep civilians away and to warn insurgents of the presence of his Coalition sniper element. Additionally, a nearby mosque called insurgents to arms to fight Coalition Forces.
In the early afternoon, enemy fighters attacked his position with automatic weapons fire from a moving vehicle. The SEALs fired back and stood their ground. Shortly thereafter, an enemy fighter shot a rocket-propelled grenade at his building. Though well-acquainted with enemy tactics in Ar Ramadi, and keenly aware that the enemy would continue to attack, the SEALs remained on the battlefield in order to carry out the mission of guarding the western flank of the main effort.

Due to expected enemy action, the officer in charge repositioned him with his automatic heavy machine gun in the direction of the enemy's most likely avenue of approach. He placed him in a small, confined sniper hide-sight between two SEAL snipers on an outcropping of the roof, which allowed the three SEALs maximum coverage of the area. He was located closest to the egress route out of the sniper hide-sight watching for enemy activity through a tactical periscope over the parapet wall. While vigilantly watching for enemy activity, an enemy fighter hurled a hand grenade onto the roof from an unseen location. The grenade hit him in the chest and bounced onto the deck. He immediately leapt to his feet and yelled "grenade" to alert his teammates of impending danger, but they could not evacuate the sniper hide-sight in time to escape harm. Without hesitation and showing no regard for his own life, he threw himself onto the grenade, smothering it to protect his teammates who were lying in close proximity. The grenade detonated as he came down on top of it, mortally wounding him.
Petty Officer Monsoor's actions could not have been more selfless or clearly intentional. Of the three SEALs on that rooftop corner, he had the only avenue of escape away from the blast, and if he had so chosen, he could have easily escaped. Instead, Monsoor chose to protect his comrades by the sacrifice of his own life. By his courageous and selfless actions, he saved the lives of his two fellow SEALs and he is the most deserving of the special recognition afforded by awarding the Medal of Honor.

During Mike Monsoor's funeral in San Diego, as his coffin was being moved from the hearse to the grave site at Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery, SEALs were lined up on both sides of the pallbearers route forming a column of two's, with the coffin moving up the center. As Mike's coffin passed, each SEAL, having removed his gold Trident from his uniform, slapped it down embedding the Trident in the wooden coffin.

The slaps were audible from across the cemetery; by the time the coffin arrived grave side, it looked as though it had a gold inlay from all the Tridents pinned to it. This was a fitting send-off for a warrior hero.
Disgusting that the ONLY way we hear about these heroes is through the Internet. Where the HELL is the media when it comes time to honor these men?

RIP MIKE!!! Thank You

Attachments

#38 ·
I also like to give thanks to all the servicemen and women out there and ones from our past.

I also like to thank someone I know very well. My next door neighbor Harry Martin. He is a veteran of WWII and was with the 106th Infantry Division "The Golden Lions" stationed in The Ardennes region and took the brunt of the largest German offensive of the war-The Battle of The Bulge. He lost many of his commrades and friends in those days, and himself was wounded by enemy fire and received the Purple Heart and other service medals for his actions. He is so modest as are many other vets I meet like him. During Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterians Day I always thank him and his response is usually the same "For What?"

I could go on and on with thank yous as I unfortunetly know too many wounded servicemen as I worked for a hadicap modification company and many of my customers were wounded vets and were customers through the VA

A thank you and salute to all our servicemen and vets. Thank you for our Freedom as it is not free

Attachments

#41 ·
I also like to thank someone I know very well. My next door neighbor Harry Martin. He is a veteran of WWII and was with the 106th Infantry Division "The Golden Lions" stationed in The Ardennes region and took the brunt of the largest German offensive of the war-The Battle of The Bulge. He lost many of his commrades and friends in those days, and himself was wounded by enemy fire and received the Purple Heart and other service medals for his actions. He is so modest as are many other vets I meet like him. During Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterians Day I always thank him and his response is usually the same "For What?"

A thank you and salute to all our servicemen and vets. Thank you for our Freedom as it is not free
Amen!!!

#40 ·
I was searching for a thread on Veteran's Day to commemorate today, and I found this thread.

Thanks Gunny, all the vets here and out there in the fishin world, Zimno, and others for your service. You have all made sacrifices to serve your country, whether you saw combat action or not. Thank you. :a_goodjob:

11/11/2009 Did you thank a Veteran today?

I was talking to a friend who's a Veteran today, all the fishin talk we did, I forgot to thank him for his service.

There are thousands of Vets out there, not just WWI, WWIII, Vietnam, but from Afghanistan, Iraq, Grenada, and many who served during peacetime, but served their country nonetheless. I heard on the radio that NJ alone has 452, 000 vets living here.

My Dad was a Vet. My brother is one too. Some of my uncles as well, living and dead.

Mike, Nashif, who runs the "Take a Soldier fishing" program, is a Vet who helps other vets. If you have a chance, take a look at his site. I'm listed on there, any vets who want to go fishin in the surf hit me up.

www.takeasoldierfishing.org
www.takeasoldierhunting.org

I hereby offer a warm and hearty "Thank you!!!" to all the Vets out there.

Whether you served in a war or not, your decision to enlist and serve your country was a noble one not everyone would make.

We live in a society where selfishness is the norm, and everyone who makes the decision to enlist commits the ultimate act of "selfless -ness". Their reasons and motives are varied, but they still put themselves at risk. Some pay with their time, others have paid with their lives.

So please try to thank someone you know who's a vet. It doesn't have to be today, it can be any day you run into them. I thanked quite a few retired Vets over the weekend when I saw the hats they were wearing on the beach.

Getting thanks from a stranger for serving your country.....

that never gets old.

So if you were occupied with other things today and didn't get to thank someone, say it tomorrow, or the next day, whenever you get the chance. The only significance for today is to set aside a day to remember them. You can thank them any day of the year, and believe me, it means a lot to them.

#42 ·
I will server proudly until the day the lord deems it that I leave this wonderfull earth. To all our soldiers and sailors boots on ground and throughout the world, I personally thank you for each and everyones servive to god and country. Your selfless actions and your service show the greatness that's still is alive whithin our country today. Too often you go unthought of, but this is not why you do what you do, we do because we believe !!!!

Here is a heartfelt video please watch until the end !

http://www.nragive.com/ringoffreedom/nr_j0199_landing.html

Many thanks to all my brothers and sisters in arms !

"DOC" Coates

#43 ·
Bump.

If you dont do it any other time of the year, fly a flag this weekend.

When you pop a top at a BBQ on Monday give a toast of thanks with the first one to all the men and women serving to protect your freedoms.

God Bless Cpl Mike Cook, USMC Recon Sniper, we spent our time in our own hell, you saved many of your friends, including me with your selfless act of courage. I miss you daily. :salute:

#46 ·
Nice post. People forget all to easily how many paid the ultimate price for the freedom that they take for granted. Or how many came home with missing limbs or are having such a hard time adjusting to civilian life,or dealing with shell shock/battle fatigue (whatever they want to call it ) that they are not sure if they can cope. Don't take your freedom for granted! You may not agree with the political reasons for a certain war but one thing shouldn't change, and that's the respect for, and thanks to, our soldiers!:salute:Thanks to all of our Vets!:gob_icon_cheers::yourock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.