Just bought Tsunami Airwave (10') what reel to go with it? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Just bought Tsunami Airwave (10') what reel to go with it?

I just picked up the airwave with a daiwa baitrunner and I was unimpressed with the baitrunner. It was cheap and was not very smooth, espcially when it came to casting. The bail would not stay in the lock position very well. I am deciding to buy a much better reel to go along with the airwave which i mostly use for surf fishing. I was thinking of getting the daiwa saltiga surf. Maybe anyone else has any suggestions?

-Thanx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Just bought Tsnuami Airwave (10') what reel to go with it?

I like to put the reel on the pole to see that it balances right for me.

I also talk to the guy I bought the rod from. He may not have the reel, but often a suggestion as to what will work with that rod.

I hadn't thought of it like this til now, but rod/reel combos are like guitars to me in that quite often the feel is the most important thing for me. Maybe for you too.

I would suggest taking the rod with you and finding something that feels correct.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 PM
d0eb0y

Default Re: Just bought Tsnuami Airwave (10') what reel to go with it?

i agree, it all about the balance. I too would take the rod with me and put reels on it until i found sometihng i liked and that felt right.
Center of gravity! Something too big will be heavy at the end and something too light will be heavy at the tip. Put the reel on and hold the rod where u would be holding it when u were fishing and if its the right reel it will feel like u have NOTHING in your hand. All balanced out nice. Very easy to fish long periods like that without getting tired!
Specially with me and my carpal tunnell,,,,finding the right balance is crucial to my fishing. Goodluck on ur search tho and keep that rod bending!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Just bought Tsunami Airwave (10') what reel to go with it?

If I may make a suggestion... I recently purchased the Shimano Baitrunner... If you are looking for a baitrunner this is a good one... The reel is very smooth, half the time I forget Im even reeling in a plug or whatever have you. These can be purchased relatively cheaply 100 -120 bucks (I got mine at Dicks)... The one thing you should always do is bring your rod with you and try the different size reels to find which is most comfortable to you. This is vital anytime you are purchasing a new rod or reel. Hope this helps...

BryanL
Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
d0eb0y

I really like the shimano myself also but i couldnt swing the 120 bucks so i found a nice penn reel. The cll6000. Live Liner (Baitrunner) Same thing.
Got it on ebay for 67$ with tax and shipping. LOVE IT!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Lunker

all very true about matching rods and reels,i bought saltiga surf 5500 this spring and put it on a st. croix 10 foot ratd 3/4 to 4 oz .and although maybe not the ideal match its done good by me.really light,but pretty pricey. i made a post when i first got it and someone posted that they had reviewed it and liked it but wasnt worth the dough, i think.anyway time will tell, it holds a ton of line so if you use braid it could be pretty expensive to keep spooling ,but i seldom worry about getting spooled
Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 AM
d0eb0y

if ya use braid just use a backing.