help with newbie questions plz =) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM

Default help with newbie questions plz =)

hello! this is my first season surf fishing and i'm loving it!

i'd appreciate if you guys could help me out with my newb questions. tried searching already with limited results...

i'm currently using 25# mono which is tied to a barrel swivel then to my rig made out of either 30#-40# mono (i tie my own rigs). i'm thinking of switching to powerpro 65#. i have a big reel so about >300 yds can spool onto it. i'm using a shimano thunnus 12000 and a 9ft or 10ft rod depending on which car we're taking.

1) if i do switch to the powerpro, what # mono should i use for my shock leader? (i normally toss from 2-5oz of lead with a hi-lo rig using bunker chunks and clams. am going to try the fish finder this wknd).

2) what length should the shock leader be?

3) do i tie my rig onto the shock leader or should i make the rig directly on the shock leader?

4) IF i have to TIE my rig to the shock leader, is it ok if its fluorocarbon?

5) is the appropriate way to tie a fish finder to put the sinker slide between two barrel swivels or just let it slide between the main line or shock leader and barrel swivel for the rig?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 PM
LunkerSpunker

Default Re: help with newbie questions plz =)

I'm not sure you are achieving a propery shock leader with your main line going to a barrel swivel before the leader, unless maybe you are using one of those xpro swivels that will wind through the guides. Check this out about shockleaders...from this site....
https://www.stripers247.com/shockleader2.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
LunkerSpunker

BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 PM

What length should the shock leader be?

A shock leader should be about 1 and 1/2 half times the length of your rod and wrapped around your reel five times. (More than 20 feet of shock leader dqs you from IGFA records)
I personally don't use a shock leader unless i am throwing more weight than 5 ounces and i need distance.
I would however use a monofilament or flourocarbon leader anywhere from 18 to 36 inches. generally i use 30 inch leaders. longer gets more difficult to cast with.

Question # 3. I tie my rigs to the 30 inch leader using a snell uni or a pre snelled packaged striper / leader rig. The other end i loop and attach to a 90to 130 pound black barrell swivel by feeding the loop through and then putting the hook through the loop. The fish pulling on the line only secures this knot tighter IMO.
Question # 4. Flouro is fine but stiffer. and doesnt wrap as easy around the reel.

Question # 5 The fish finder goes on the main line (standing line) and is stopped by the swivel or i place a bead next to the swivel.
Not between two swivels.

There is no any one way. and others do it differenty.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Very simply, don't use power pro on the beach.
Search around for info on "braids",,, or Power pro (PP).
to the best site on the WWW.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Don't use Powerpro from the beach? did i hear that right? hahaha just busting. I hate to say it but.....I ALWAYS use Powerpro from the sand man. I had 30lb Powerpro wrapped around my reel when i landed the 50. I added distance, strength, and sensativity to my shore fishing. When i'm in heavy surf or rocky conditions, i change over to 50lb test and just flip the rocks over that i get caught on. as long as you use braid the right way...its nothing but an advantage. This is just MY opinion....i'm one fisherman.....everyone has their own way thats for sure....we usually catch the fish no matter what method. I found something that works for me.....it aint broke and i aint fixin it lmao.

so anyway....dont count braid out just yet

Craig aka Briggs

Aka Mastersurfcaster

Master of His Own Domain