Bait Caster - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Bait Caster

I am thinking of getting a bait casting set-up. First of all I have one for freshwater and I will admit it is the cheap combo from sports authority. anyway it has taken me three years to learn how to cast the thing. Mainly because I am the ultimate king of backlash. I can cast it now kind of but not accuratley. Should I try this with saltwater, or stick to the old standby of spinning tackle? If I should try it could you weigh in on advantages/disadvantages and what brands have served you well.
Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Bait Caster

Use whatever that you are comfortable with for casting.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Talking Re: Bait Caster

Liking both,,, my preference is conventional. Why? Don't know, maybe I just like trouble (S).
If you go with a newer baitcasting outfit, I'd recommend a better ABU 6500 or a comperable style. DO NOT get the ones from Walmart. They are not standard. I'd recommend an older style in very good condition (Ebay-used?). If you can (there are many models) try and find one with "6500 C3" designation and "Made in Sweden". IMO they are great reels, can be upgraded if needed, parts are readily available, easy to learn control with, and there is a ton if info (via internet) on proper adjusting / upgrading / moding / etc. EXCELLENT starter and reliable for the more experienced.
I feel they are moderately slow enough to keep most people from getting into "blow-ups" with just a little familiarization.
They are not rockets, complicated, tricky, or real distance swingers, but very workable and capable.
I also really like the Penn 525 Mags, but they are not for the faint of heart. Very fast and easily "nested" if not experienced, plus there is no level wind which I really like on a plug tosser.
An old Penn Squider on a really long surf rod can be a joy too, but parts are getting harder to come by rapidly.
Big tricks with these are line stifness, filling of the spool, viscosity of lube, and a proper casting technique. When you get that all worked out to your style you've got something as sweet as sex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
First Mate

For myself I like both spinning and conventional type reels. For a small baitcasting reel I like the 6500 CS Pro Rocket or the 6500 Chrome CT up to 4nbait. For anything heavier I resort to the Abu 7500C3CT/7500 CT & the Penn 525 mag, but prefer the 7500C3CT/7500 CT for the wide flange at the side of the spool. The old squidder with the wind brake spool is a gem of a caster, but that 3.3:1 gear ratio is too slow for my liking.

Cabo spinning reels are precision reels with excellent drags. Match them up with a premium rod they will are great for plugging or chucking tins.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Oh, for spinning, I'd like to throw the Shimono 4500 w/ Bait Runner into the mix also. Excellent reel IMHO.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Veteran Elite

Thanks for the input guys I will check out e-bay tonight
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Veteran Elite

ok maybe I just dont understand. does the abu 6500 c3 or 5 reel go on a 10 foot rod? I fish with a 10' now and it is huge. I was thinking an ebay reel $30-60. but in the pics it looks small. and can I put this on a seven foot rod. If so any reccomendations fast med action? keep in mind i have tried this but seem to backlash a lot. I can cast but with no accuracy. Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 AM
First Mate

I personally think the 6500 C3 size reel should be generally used with 9 foot or under. Some of those 10 foot rods butts are huge in comparsion to the reel. I think overall something in the 7000 is generally a better choice. What kind of fishing are you planning to do with the reel?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Veteran Elite

I was planning on plugging and maybe chunking for smaller fish like fluke, scup and schoolie stripers.
I am currently using a 7' uglystick spin rod for this purpose but would like to give the bait caster a try. mainly because of the line twist and slack/knots which happen when slowly working a plug like a needlefish or popper.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Smulax-
When you show up for the "Father's Day Eve", I'll have a 6500 C3, Penn Mag 525, and a 7000 HSN. All on 10+ footers.
Feel free to check em out.
The 6500 & Penn are completely stock.
The 7000 has been "tweeked" and the new bearings are yet to be worked in.