basic surf kit? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:55 PM

Default basic surf kit?

I posted this in the ask al forum...
dose any body else have thought?
I am new to surf fishing, myself and my fishing buddys have always used bait or cut bait. I would like to select some basic surf lures to make up a surf bag. My question is what are a few basic lures, and what else gose in a surf bag?

Thanks for the Help
Mattman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 03:08 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I usually have various Bombers, Gibbs Danny's, Gibb's Pencil Poppers, and some metal like Kastmasters or Charlie Graves Squid Tins. I also bring surface poppers, and some rubbah like Storm Wildeyes. Slug-Go's, Fin-S fish and Bass Assassins are good too if ya can get em out theya.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Mattman

Mattman
Welcome to the board
Al is away at the Jersey shore at present but when we gets the chance Hell be answering questions.
I recently have taken to pluggin some in the surf myself. I've always been a bait fishermen in salt water. A yellow bucktail is like number 1 in the arsenal in long island. My number one depends on conditions.
( I had posted this elsewhere)
Popping plugs or surface lures are most effective during low light conditions such as dawn or dusk.
Metal lures, such as Kastmasters or Hopkins are best during bright sunlight conditions.
Swimming lures, both shallow swimmers and deep divers work best during the day when fish are less likely to come to the surface to feed and at night when they are close to the bottom and less active.
Bucktail Jigs and eel lures like the sluggo and tube and worm take fish during both day and night. These should be worked along the bottom at an extremely slow retrieve even better when a piece of pork rind or squid strip is added to the hook.

Now my number one is the atom striper swiper and the atom bomber plugs. (There are a few styles of the atom bomber),
I havent caught many fish plugging yet, but I prefer the heavier lures that will cast like a bullet. Also the long pencil poppers have caught me fish.
It is certainly different than catching trout pickeral and largemouth with plugs. :D
Another important concept is to try and match the hatch. In other words match whatever bait that the stripers are feeding on at the time.
Like jonny said. Storm wildeyes match many different bait fish in all different patterns, I would try the peanut bunker and mullet patterns down in maryland. and finS sluggos and tube type baits to match worms and eels.

Whats in my surf bag? 8)
Tape measure, digital scale, hook sharpener, extra reel spooled with braid, premade rigs, swivels, sinkers, baitknife, flashlight, gloves, bells, heavy mono and a sandwich. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 PM

Welcome.

If money is a consideration, start with two things.

1. Atom 2 oz Striper Swiper. This is a popper and will get any fish to hit - even in bright daylight.
2. Storm/Tsumani/Calcutta Shad bodies in 4" or 5". I like Mullet, Golden Mullet, and Bunker patterns.

I can't argue with anything else posted previous. I know how quick the $$ add up, and I'd add a few of each of the previous posts suggestions each time you hit the B&T.

Last year, I was all over the whole big wooden plug thing (Polaris, Danny, Pencil, etc), this year it's been almost all soft plastic (Sluggos 6 & 9", FinS - white and pink, Tsumani/Clacutta/Storm).

If I had to go with only 1 lure, I'd grab 5" Storm Golden Mullet. Over the past 3 days I've landed over 30 stripers on that single lure.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Welcome to the site Matt. always good to see new faces.

In My Surf Bag: Various Rhode Island poppers, all colors. Different colored shads and various plastics. Tube and worm (red) for the mouths of rivers flowing into the ocean. Kastmaster 4oz & 3oz. Silver Krocidile 3oz. small rubber eels with lead head. small 8' tape measure. plastic container with snap swivels. various steel leaders. 4oz sinkers and bass/eel rigs (24"). Pliers, Knife for getting hook from striper clit in throat. headlight. scale for weighing prize stripers. a few homemade plugs that dive 3oz. extra spool/line. glowsticks for tip of rod. and of course, my digital camera.

Hope this helps. it might seem like alot but i'm mister ready for anything(overkill)

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN
Old 10-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Default Re: basic surf kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman
I posted this in the ask al forum...
dose any body else have thought?
I am new to surf fishing, myself and my fishing buddys have always used bait or cut bait. I would like to select some basic surf lures to make up a surf bag. My question is what are a few basic lures, and what else gose in a surf bag?

Thanks for the Help
Mattman
1.1/4 oz. Atom I think is the best size for 9ft. rod. 2.oz. is ok, if you have a stiffer tip like on your bait rod. with a 2 oz. plug,sometimes you have to lob it. I like to plug, I use 1.1/4 and 7/8 oz. plugs.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:49 PM

Default wow lots of great info

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!
currently I only have a few gotcha plugs in my box.
they are 7/8 oz, 1 0z and 2oz.
when I have used them at the Indian River inlet in DE, I managed to catch a few sea bass, and a blue fish.
\
I will definetlty be
adding some more plugs to my collection!