pluto be damned! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default pluto be damned!

Damn, Pluto got tha boot!'

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...=home&SEC=news

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 02:21 AM

Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 AM

So Pluto gets the boot because its eliptical orbit overlaps the orbit of Neptune. What a bunch of BS. My guess is that Plutos status as a non-planet, or should I say a "dwarf planet", will be short-lived.

Why is it that most scientists try to make it more complicated than it needs to be....probably because they think that's the way to impress people. How childish. The way you impress people (and excite them) is to be able to explain it in such a way as for them to comprehend it.

After working in a lab environment for over 30 years, I've found that if you want people to understand and embrace something technical, you need to simplify it, make it visible to them. It just never ceases to amaze me that most scientists seem intent on furthering the knowledge gap between the laymen and the scientist to the point that only a handfull of people world-wide understand what they're talking about.......one reason why I like the writings of Stephen Hawking.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/html/home.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 AM

Here's a cute article that came out several weeks before Plutos status was changed.

IT WAS SOMETIME in the late 1950s when the planet Pluto was discovered. This was not the official discovery, which astronomer Clyde Tombaugh pulled off in 1930, but the personal discovery. The discovery took place on a hot asphalt parking lot outside a third-grade classroom, children holding balls of various sizes and standing at various distances from a nun, a School Sister of Notre Dame, who was the sun around whom the planets revolved.

The kid who was Mercury held a ping-pong ball and stood five feet from the nun-sun. The kid who was Venus held a slightly larger ball and stood slightly farther away, and so on and so forth with balls of various sizes at increasing distances until finally there was the kid who held a small glass marble and stood at the edge of the parking lot 200 feet away.

This was the Pluto-kid, the tiny and distant Pluto-kid, who stood in the unimaginable cold, way out on the edge of the solar system.

Such was our introduction to Pluto, which has been a favorite planet ever since.

For more than seven decades and countless science exhibits involving wire and Styrofoam balls this much has held true: that of planets and baseball players there are nine, and the smallest and most distant planet is Pluto, after which Mickey Mouse named his dog.

That may be about to change.

The International Astronomical Union has begun a 12-day meeting in Prague, Czech Republic, during which Pluto may be given its outright release from the planetary roster.

Alternately, a 10th planet, a little larger than Pluto and farther from the sun, could be added. Or it might be decided to extend the definition of planet to any body that is round, has gravity and orbits primarily around the sun, which would mean there are 23 planets.

Apparently Pluto is among 14 or 15, or perhaps even more, small, icy "trans-Neptunian objects" lying beyond the planet Neptune in a region called the Kuiper Belt.

If Pluto qualifies as a planet, the argument goes, so do the other "icy dwarves." Pluto is not even the largest of the icy dwarves; in October 2003, Caltech astronomer Mike Brown photographed an object he nicknamed "Xena" that, at 1,864 miles in diameter, is 27 percent bigger than Pluto.

Xena, named after TV's warrior princess, is technically called 2003 UB313 in astronomer-speak. The astronomers union could name it the 10th planet, or the astronomers might choose to drop Pluto and go with eight planets and put asterisks next to the others, or Xena and the 13 other trans-Neptunian icy dwarves could all be named planets.

In which case, grade schools are going to need bigger parking lots.

Ever since the word got out that Pluto was in trouble, astronomer Brown has been getting angry mail from pro-Pluto people (Plutocrats?).

He told Alec Wilkinson of the New Yorker Magazine, "When I used to argue for eight (planets), I felt as if there was a public sentiment that you couldn't get rid of Pluto. If you did, you were a mean person, is what it felt like. I wondered why there appeared to be an emotional attachment to an inanimate object that most people who are arguing had never seen. The epiphany was understanding that people love planets the way they love dinosaurs."

FOR THE LOVE OF PLUTO
Old 08-27-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1875
Bahahahahah that was the greatest thing I've ever seen!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 PM

There goes all the school books LOL taxes goin up again