rod/reel setup for Fishing in Boston (shore) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Default rod/reel setup for Fishing in Boston (shore)

Hello, first off I would like to say this is a great site for fishing enthusiasts.

Well I will be in the boston area and would like to do some recreational fishing from the shore.

What type of rod/reel setup would be sufficient for fishing in this area and would I be mostly be expecting to find stripe bass in the area?

From shore i would assume these fishes would be 5-6 lbs?

I've never fished stripped bass before.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Staff

Hi eck! to the site!

What time of year will you be around Boston?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:22 PM

mmm tomorow lol only for a few days this is why i'm scurrying around looking for information.

I am organizing my fathers toolbox as we speak and i'm looking at hooks that that are used for bass and trout, little fish and i'm thinking these salt water fish are going to bend these paperclips.

What size fish should i be looking at from the shore?

Size hooks to use? Any rules regulations i need to follow?

Ie. in alberta, Canada the use of barbless hooks is mandatory

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 03:37 PM

Also any information on what the type of fish to expect would be great...I have quite a large array of lures at my disposal and if could elimante the ones i don't need i can fit just the essentials into a smaller tackelbox.

I have quite a few spoons in every different colours/shapes/ reflective patterns on them and an assortment of the regular lure minnow types, raplas.

Also would 17lb (green mono) line on a quantum blue runner reel and 10' 6" rod be sufficient or can i pack a smaller casting rod ugly stick?

Thanks again and your knowledge is much appretiated. If I catch something ( my luck is horrible as i normally only catch either perch, trout or Pike lol)

The last time i fished a salt water fish was when i was 8 in florida and i believe it was a dolphin fish.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Pro Staff

Tomorrow,,, hmm.

Well, the major northward migration of the striped bass probably hasn't really reached the Boston area yet, but there may be a few early birds or hold-overs around. Water temp is a still little cold, so don't be discouraged if you don't hook up, but anytime out fishing is better than most anything else in my opinion :)

No regulations regarding hooks, but I'd use at least a 5/0 saltwater hook for live or cut bait. Stop into a bait shop in the area and they can hook you up with what you'd need.

Just because it's still early doesn't necessarily mean you won't see a decent sized fish if you get lucky. 20+ lb fish aren't that uncommon in that area once they really move in. Make sure you've got tackle that can handle it.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 PM

20 lb fish ??

lol realistically i was expecting something in the 8-10 lb range. You've fished 20 lbers from the shore?

Yes..a tackle shop would probably be a one spot source of information but I find they tend to hold back unless you buy something and as of now i already have everything I need.

My father is a fishing enthusiast (when you have more than 10 rods in the house i would say so - 2 mini rods for ice fishing - 5-6 casting rods, 2x 10ft and i think he has one that is most likely at 12') Here I am trying ot gather information. I am pretty sure we have all the equipment necessary its just fine tuning everything so it'll be a fun recreational fishing experience.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:07 PM

Thanks for your replies Baitrunner,

another question I have for you is what type of setup do you use personally to catch these strippers?
Old 04-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro Staff

You may find some winter flounder around, maybe some Tautog (blackfish), skates, chance of an early striper, bluefish aren't here yet.

10'6" rod would be my choice for shore fishing. 17lb test is ok unless you're fishing rocky areas. I normally go with at least 20lb, usually 30lb braided line.

Fresh bait is usually the best choice for early season fishing. Depending on the conditions you might have some luck with some top water lures, or Storm Shad type swim baits. I'd leave the spoons at home. Bass will be following live bait into the area and that's what they'll be hungry for. If you're lure fishing, you'll want to match that live bait as close as you can.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Pro Staff

The world record striped bass was caught from the shore at over 70lbs,, it's what haunts us in our dreams.......
Old 04-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Pro Staff

Lots of good info can be found at the link below

https://www.stripers247.com/beginnersclinic.htm