End of season thoughts... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default End of season thoughts...

Well, I think this just about does it for me. I have gotten most of the gear out of the car.....tackle boxes, Battles Boxes, Surf Bags, rods N reels, etc. have all been taken in. But ofcourse I did find it very painful, as usual, so there is still one 7' St. Croix Tidemaster in there with a box of various plugs lol. But I dont think I'll be using it. Waders and gortex gear are also put away.

What a year! The clean-up in April went very well, better than expected. And to all those who volunteered their time on a miserable drizzly Sunday morning, THANK YOU. Even though our efforts are very appreciated by various folks, the State D.O.T. has decided to block off access to the railroad bed because of another influx of littering, illegal dumping, poaching, underage drinking/drug abuse, and other various types of degenerate behavior.

The Spring Run started early this year for me, with quality fish between 15 and 22 pounds being landed upriver starting the middle of May, most of which were caught using artificials. There was also a great deal of various sized schoolies upriver this Spring, with a special liking for topwater poppers. Great fun in the early morning hours. Much better than last year! It was a great Spring until the big storm we were hit with around the end of May. Rained almost a week straight, and the runoff from all the water really pummeled the dams and the Herring Run. It was pretty much unfishable for that week. Unfortunately I did not return to my normal Spring patterns after that storm, and did not fish far upriver the whole month of June. Cant wait till next Spring!!!!!!

Instead of focusing on normal patterns, I had the privilege to fish with and learn under the tutelage of Roccus Joe through most of the Spring and throughout the Summer. All I can say is this....I saw more "quality" fish, the ones between about 15 and 25 pounds, this year than I have in the past 5 or 6 years combined LMAO. Along with that, I was also lucky enough to hook up with a few beautiful fish over 30 pounds, one being my "record breaker" at 35.5 pounds. A very large THANK YOU to Roc for the guidance, lessons, and chats throughout the whole season. Thank goodness I was with Roc when I caught the 35, because if anyone else had been at the helm where we were, I do not think I would have landed that fish at all. So thanks Roc!

And the Fall Run...this year was also much more productive than last season. All around, this year far exceeded last seasons action. This Fall reminded me alot of the Fall of '02 and '03. Those years the fish could also be found around the end of Oct. So things seem to be similar on that end. As far as my findings go, I would have to say that the fish definitely showed up early in good numbers, and have stayed around late overall, thus making it a very very good year th_icon_

In the end, I think I kept 1 fish, the first keeper of the year, a nice 17 pounder which I gave to my brother Don and his family as I do every Spring. I think I may alter that tradition though next Spring, and keep the 2nd keeper lol. Why? Cuz the fish treated me so well this season!!!

So yup, a very great year overall. Met some new people, made new friends, caught beautiful fish, and enjoyed every second of it. Now I am preparing to do battle with Ol' Man Winter......I'm gearing up and readying for the fight.....

Spring!....please come fairly quickly!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Lunker

Default Thanks!

Good for you John.

Thanks for all the good posts and input, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 PM

Ouch! Over already ??

We're still waiting for the fall run to begin :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 08:03 PM

Yeah i am still waiting for that to happen aswell
Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 PM
First Mate

now i can get my winter run stripers :) cause unlike u stripers dont hit till the frigid weather moves in
Old 10-25-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Ouch! Over already ??

We're still waiting for the fall run to begin :)
Don't rub it in!

Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

yup over already... the ice fishing season kicked it off with a pair of dandy rainbows, as winter wore on (and the snow piled up) the fishing continued to be great, my last trip was in mid March, there was still 18" of ice but 2' of snow made life miserable...

spring was raw and cold, i got the boat in in early april ( I was the first boat on the slip and the last one to leave) bottom fishing for cod and haddock was good enough to get me by until striper season.

June saw a huge school of haddock and whale cod some to 60-70 lbs 5 miles from the beach

In may Jonny and I hooked up on many a cold afternoon looking for the first fish,it took a few trips and they werent big but we had a blast..

From there we/I never looked back, daytime fiishing for bass with live mac's was great from early may until mid June, Jonny, myself and baitrunner got together for a day of bass fishing that was second to none...

June brought some good fish, as did early July, the fishing in late july and August was off from what it's been the last few years, September was a tough month, with constant wind and offshore storms limiting my acess to my "honey hole" outside... October was a bust,except for one good night, constant wind kept from going where ai knew the large pods of fish were...

it was a great year, alot of fun, I cant remember when I laughed this much while fishing... thanks to Mr Bolt.... 6 months dude and we do it again
Old 10-27-2005, 04:23 PM

Yup I also cant remember a season filled with more laughs Usually the Spring is the funniest, cuz Glenn "Big Poppah" (the King of the Surr-fiss Paw-pizz) has me layed out across the floatin' dock on pretty much every outing during the Spring Herring run lol. But aftah fishin with Roc, the beating my gut took was tripled over the whole season I can remember falling across the side of the boat on several occassions. Then throw Brandeeni and Stevie-38 in the mix, and you got some of the best fishin' buds you'd ever want. I still need some stitches fa me gut!!!

Roc, we have a "Board Meeting" every 2 or 3 weeks throughout the Winter offseason, I'll let ya know bout em, so maybe you can make a few