Could use some advice on if I am doing it all right... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Could use some advice on if I am doing it all right...

Hey guys, I could use some advice. First and foremost I'll introduce myself to the board since you'll probably read several posts from me time to time. My name is Chris, I live in PA and am 26 years old. Grew up by the ocean and started fishing off my dad's deep sea boat at about 5-6 years old. We moved away from the ocean and I recently started to get back into the swing of ocean fishing now that the opportunity is here and my career allows me to do so. So I am not a complete stranger to saltwater fishing...

The set-up I used last year consisted of two Surf poles, 20 pound test with metal leaders since I was going after Blues. I was using a high-low rig and caught 5-6 12-13 inch blues on blood worms and killies. I was catching them so I assume I was doing things right?

This year since I have a week worth of fishing to do, I want to go after Stripers. I still have my two surf poles and I'll be putting on 20 pound test. I have two 8inch eels, Berkley saltwater shad, shad kickin live storms, two Ava 17 rigs (Green and Black), a few top waters, and the Luhr Jensen Krocodile spoon, 1oz, silver and chrome. I have various sized hooks and leaders as well. What else would you guys recomend? Or is a good basic supply?

Next thing I would like to do is tie my own high-low rig as all I have is one that a friend gave me. What pound test would be best? I ask because a buddy from work said using 20 pound would be fine and then I read that using 40-50 pound is the way to go. Or is it to each their own?

What about Float rigs and any other rigs used, what are good ones to have?

I know this is a lot but the only foolish person is the one who didn't ask, right?

Thank you for all and any advice. Maybe I'll run into some people when I am down at the beach? I'm always willing to swap war stories with Vets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Could use some advice on if I am doing it all right...

Hey Chris, not sure where you will be fishing or the poles and reels length and line capacity. But a 10 ft pole rated 1-4oz. Or 3-6oz for bait and sinkers But 9-11ft poles will be a general range. The lures you describe are fine especially the tins, again where are you fishing? Beach, bay inlets. Etc. 200yds. Of 20# mono is a good start, you can also try braid but a little getting used to. but more capacity do to the thin diameter and better castability. Give us some more specific info and I am sure alot of help will be available also use the search feature. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Striper Hunter

I have two poles: 8/11 foot. My 8 foot would be longer but I snapped a few inches off the tip. I'll be purchasing a new pole after my birthday. Using 20 pound test, trilene smooth cast, low visability green. I'll be in Brigantine, NJ in the beginning of July. Fishing the surf right where I'll be staying. I don't know the island at all so any hot spots or favorite areas would be great if anyone doesn't mind giving that info up?

I also just purchased the Lehr Johnson Kroc spoon, 1 oz, chrome/silver. I'll be tieing up some rigs and basically I am just going to fish fish fish using what I have been reading through various websites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Dump the trilene.get some ANDE or YO-ZURI HYBRID. Dont step up to braid just yet. Get two things straight. Bluefish will steal all your tins/jigs if you dont get down to he bottom. And bluefish will steal all your tins/jigs even if you do. Make a steel leader with a barrell swivel crimped on one end and a tin on the other. Although you are in hopes of bass.... sometimes you will have to eithermove away from the devils or catch them without losin all your toys. Without being condescending.... just do a search with all your questions in the search button......you will find hours of reading that we have gone over. Most other sites have shunned the beginner/rusty dudes. Over the years some of those foolish questions were answered. Have at it and ask away

Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Striper Hunter

I'll look into the line you mentioned. I am familiar with blues. I'll do my research and try to hold my own on the shore line.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

You will do fine. Just move around. Get some fly's that look like sand eels or spearing. Tie em on a leader off the tail hook of a tin. Getting that down deep will better your chances of a bass as well. A few topwater plugs and bucktails as well. You are no stranger to the water so i suspect you will intuitively know what to do when fish are presented you.. Just be safe if around the rocks. The hi low is not very practical in july as bluefish are prevalent. A free sliding sinker slide/fishfinder on the main line with an appropriate weight to hold bottom will allow your bait presentation to be taken with little resistance at first. fluking will also be good so bear that in mind with your trip. Just don't go feeling ya have to get tht bass every cast. Take what the fish gods will give you. Make your trip count and watch how the fish are being caught. Night time is the magic time to fish if you can.