Planer Boards For River Linesides? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Freshwater Tackle Box
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Freshwater Tackle Box freshwater supplies reels and tackle discussion

Old 04-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Planer Boards For River Linesides?

Howdy all, new to the board but I love the site. I sure wish striper fisherman were more connected out here on the west coast. I fish the california aqueduct for stripers and was wondering if anyone out there has presented lures or bait from the shore using planer boards to hold lure position out in the current before? Any imput would be appreciated. :?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 10:40 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Sole sercher,
I use planers from the boat for bass to get live baits in close on nights when it is too rough for me to ride the last curl in the surf and I KNOW the fish are there,you might be able to use a kite with a planer board release or out rigger release to get the desired distance for your bait or lure,I had read about it somewhere a long,long time ago,I think it was in Austrailia...

Rock
Old 05-03-2005, 12:57 AM

Rock,
Nice of ya to throw out a reply, thought this egg was gonna go unhatched. Course it is a kinda obscure and unorthodox method at least in the states it seems. I actually found a real good article about this by some bloke in the UK who does it in big canals over there for pike. He actually uses it as a locator to find spots of fish in waters with very little in the way of readily distinguishable underwater features.......alot like the aqueduct. The objective I was trying to achieve was to be able to deadstick a bait or lure in a high probability area, keeping it in the strike zone long enough to be there when a school of cows come through. Found another site also from that side of the globe where guys do the same thing while targeting humongous Wels catfish. I guess the Wels is like a striper in as much as they spend most of their time nomadically wandering areas with moderate to heavy current. I just figure that I would like to find something that I can throw out and leave the rod in the sand spike on the days when I take the boy along. He keeps me too busy baiting his hook and then releasing schoolies to be able to concentrate on plugging or working bucktails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 02:34 AM

Default planers from the bank

First wanted to say, just found the site and think its got lots of great info. Planers from the bank can be deadly for stripers if there is sufficient current present. I have not tried artificials, but live bait works great. Plus, there's usually the bonus topwater show that doesn't always happen when your in a boat. Most of my experiences have been in 2-3 mph current, so Im not sure how it would work if its really rolling, but im sure its worth a try!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:44 AM

Outback,
Big out west welcome! I'm new here too and it is a great little fishing community they have here. Thanks for the affirmation on the planer boards, if you have any more detailed rigging info, please post. The current varies from day to day and even sometimes from hour to hour, but if I had to estimate it, I would guess that it runs as little as 1mph to as fast as 4. The exception to this is behind the check gates and siphons where it can be boiling whitewater.......flat smokin along. The live bait can be tough because I think you have to catch shad at the place you are fishing to use them. But it seems like from what I have read I might think about slow rolling a Tube 'n Worm behind the planer board. I guess anything is worth a shot. Any recommendations on a specific planer to buy for this? Thanks man.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:28 AM

Thanks much. Not to much fancy about the rig. Just attach your line (no weight) to the clip and the board, and send her on the way out. Ill vary the amount of line behind the board anywhere from 5ft. to 20ft. If you cant get live bait i would try using a bucktail tipped with a 4''-6" grub. As for planers, Seeinstripes planers are the best hands down. My buddy hand makes them and sells them on his website. The production shop is currently down, but if enough interest is shown it will be up and running again soon. Check it out.

www.seeinstripes.com

check out the photos as well, great site
Old 05-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Hi outback
Some huge fish in that gallery there in Tennessee. Enjoy the site.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Default mini planers

Many people do a something similar in michigan ( and i'm sure other places for salmon) in the rivers to get a plug from the bank wiggling just in front of some salmon. There are special mini boards designed for this and I think that they were made by luhr jensen and they are pink. I couldn't find them but these mini guys look good too http://www.lakenormanstriperfishing....anerBoards.htm
Old 05-05-2005, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the planers, Chinook. The ones you linked to looked well worth a try. In many places on the aqueduct, your lure is only in the strike zone for a handful of seconds on each cast. I was just trying to figure out a way to put myself in control of that timeframe better. Sure wish we could use thrownets out here, then I could probably get some live shad to hang behind the planer boards. One set is all I need to cover whichever bank I am fishing from at the time......we only get to use one rod on the concrete river. :cry: When I get the boards I think the first thing I will try behind them is either a big rebel or AC plug and maybe a bucktail. I do intend to order some santini tubes and run those behind the board as well. I guess I will just have to experiment.....Rat 'l Traps....Krocodiles.....Swimbaits.....Deadbaits........H'mm Crawfish? Anyone ever catch em on Crawdads?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:15 PM

Default One more thing

When I do this type of fishing I usually use something with a large lip for 2 reasons, the large lip will give the lure action and "bite" even in slower current, also, the large lip makes the lure relatively snag proof evn if it does scrape bottom it's usually with the bill and not the body--standard baits are lures like hotn'tots and hot shots, and if you want something with a long narrow body (I'd guess you do based on the lures you listed), go with the storm deep thundersticks or rebel spoonbill which have large lips. Also, with sinking lures like spoons or rattle traps you'll have to experiment with them in terms of line length between the board and the lure (put it in the water where you can see it and see how far it goes down). If you have too much line it'll just snag up. Also, these type sof lure swill nly have action holding in the current in faster currents. put it in the water next to u and see if it has action. I usually use the big lipped plugs, but my father likes spoons and he does well, but he snags up more--just have to adjust the leader length right.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Good info Chinook! That added a bunch to my thought processes in regards to current. I think you are right about the rat 'l traps. They will probably only work when the current is ripping or right behind the control gates where it is really smoking along as well. I did a little research on the current speed and in the valley up there is generally flows from 1mph at the low end, up to about 6mph when it is running full bore. On the other side of the hills the duct is narrower and loses elevation faster and when the water is "on" it runs more between 3-8mph. I am gonna probably have quite a bit of experimenting to do before I figure this one out all the way, but the info I have gotten from you guys and elsewhere is helping a bunch. Hope everyone gets em this weekend :D
Old 05-07-2005, 10:35 AM

Sole...I know you were looking into some tubes...the 1mph section would be perfect for a tube...thats how fast we troll them 'round here...

Any faster and the tube has no appeal...