I had a first tonight. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 AM
psuedo-NOOBIE

Default I had a first tonight.

So I hit the water tonight 'round 9:30ish. One of my usual spots in the hahbah. Not surprisingly the place was teeming with people being so early in the night. Still I managed to get a spot and thankfully away from most of the googans. About 45 minutes pass and I land my first. No big deal 25 incher, back in the water and off it swam. Grumbles from a lot of the people around me, who haven't hit anything all night. Yeah this is the type of crowd I've planted myself amidst. Another 20 minutes go by and I get a nice hit. Great fight the whole way in! Measure it up at 29 inches 7lbs 10oz., I keeps the bugger. The crowd is appeased by my decision, which quickly turns to intense questions and studious observations on my techniques, equipment, etc. Another 45 minutes go by and I'm ready to pack it in for the night, when lo and behold, a green pickup pulls up right next to me. For the first time in Boston, I am now having a conversation with an Environmental Officer. WOW! Really nice girl, we talk about the two fish I pulled in. I tell her about the shortie that went back and she comes out and measures my keeper and confirms. She tells me that they've upped the patrols now and will be out more often. Hell if I've ever seen 'em before, and I hit the water about 2 times a week for a good 3-4 hours at a time. So, I'm hoping that they really are beefing things up and maybe it'll cull some of the poachers and googans that harass the crap outta me, just 'cuz they can't catch squat.

Tight lines to all my honorable friends!

GotHooked (aka Tae)
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: I had a first tonight.

That sucks that someone reported you. But there are all kinds out there...kinda ruins a good time though
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 AM

On the contrary. I think its good that someone has the DEC dialed in. The honest guys don't have a thing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I don't think he was reported I just think that the DEP officer was on patrol from the sound of the story.

It is nice to hear that the DEP is stepping up it's patrols.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Striper Hunter

I agree that the enforcement is good. I just think it sucks that someone probably called and made a complaint.....just seems too coincidental to me.

And true the honest guys have nothing to worry about
Old 07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
I agree that the enforcement is good. I just think it sucks that someone probably called and made a complaint.....just seems too coincidental to me.

And true the honest guys have nothing to worry about
At first I did not read it as someone making a call on him but after your first comment it got me wondering. Why they stopped at him? If it was by chance then great as it's nice to see them patrolling but if it has to do with profiling from DEP or a fisherman then that sucks. I'm not saying I think that it may be profiling but double sure gets me wondering
Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Wow great to hear they are finally coming out more, i can't tell you how many times i see people with illegal fish. And when i call them to report such a thing, they never seem to waste their time with a report form a 16 year old...But looking foward to seeing them out and about.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
psuedo-NOOBIE

I don't think that anyone reported me. Seriously I don't think anyone would dare bring the DEP into the place. They didn't just stop and check me out. They made their rounds stopping at others as well before they got to me. It's just that I was the only one in the entire place who actually landed some fish last night. Anyways, it didn't bother me any. I had a perfectly legal fish and was glad to see them there. I even got the number for the office in Boston to call if some googan/poacher is really pissin' me off on a particular night. Like I said, I've got nuttin' to hide.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Poachers Piss me off any and every night.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHooked View Post
I don't think that anyone reported me. Seriously I don't think anyone would dare bring the DEP into the place. They didn't just stop and check me out. They made their rounds stopping at others as well before they got to me. It's just that I was the only one in the entire place who actually landed some fish last night. Anyways, it didn't bother me any. I had a perfectly legal fish and was glad to see them there. I even got the number for the office in Boston to call if some googan/poacher is really pissin' me off on a particular night. Like I said, I've got nuttin' to hide.
Again someone probably reported you. Asians are the number one poachers up there so someone obviously profiled you.