saltwater fly rod/reel?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Default saltwater fly rod/reel??

whats up fly guys/gals,
i'm looking to get into saltwater fly fishing been doing searches for about a week.which pretty much sealed the deal,looks very exciting and challenging.after doing the searches and talking to a freand of mine,i'm going to go with a 9' 9wt. i'll be fishing back bays and off my yak for bass,blues and hopfully weaks.could i get some suggestions on a rod/reel set up, i'll be using mostly clousers and deceivers they seem to be the flys here on long island?looking to spend around $200-$300.any help would be greatly appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 PM

Default Re: saltwater fly rod/reel??

Check out the TFO lines, great rods for not big $$
Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 PM
First Mate

Check these out. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...2136-sub2&np=Y
Lifetime UNCONDITIONAL warranty. If you grow out of it you can upgrade it as well. L.L. Bean has the best warranty IMHO. If you don't like the product for any reason they'll refund your money. If you don't have a receipt they will look on their computers and give you the highest price they can find. I know this from experience. I broke the top guide off of one of my rods, they no longer made that rod so they upgraded me to the newer rod free of charge they even paid one way of shipping and included a reel on rod case.
I also upgraded my reel. I said the one I had did not meet my needs anymore ,it was 8 years old, so I upgraded it to large arbor sealed drag with 2 spools for $50.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Check out Albright also. I recently bought a 3 piece 10wt from them for a trip. It is a nice rod for short money. Also check out sage reels. I bought a 9 wt sage reel last summer to go along with an old RPLX I have had for years and wanted to get a large arbor, nice reel for about 100 bucks.

Just a tip also. If you are new to casting start with a weight forward floating line it will be easier for you to pick up from the water. If you need to get a fly down deeper you can always lengthen your leader and throw a fly with weight like a clouser.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 AM

thanks guys,
BYF thats what i was looking for everything but the fly.i got the four peice 9wt.i sure i'll be back with a half million question when it gets here,but whats the differacne between the two or four peice?
thanks again.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac37 View Post
thanks guys,
whats the differacne between the two or four peice?
thanks again.

Packability. some guys thing the ferrel is the weak point in the rod, others say it only depends on who manufactures it as to whether this is true.

In order for you to cast with the least amount of exertion the eyes must be in a straight line which is harder to do with 4 pieces. Some say the pieces will twist while casting or fighting fish.
All of mine are 2 piece so I can only say what I read.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM

thanks again i just spoke to the ll bean crew and they swicthed me over to a two peice.one guy said its best to start with a two peice.nice group of people change my order no problem,it will be here tuesday.thanks again
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM
First Mate

No problem glad I could help. I've never had a problem with them.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

sorry, i was not around for a week.
the four piece is really great. the packability for the yak is even better.
the way to keep the sections from coming apart is to take some electrical tape and wrap a few times around the foot of where the section is tight in all the connecting points. when put together in the yak you just unwrap a few turns and then tape the sections closed and locked. it will never come apart or turn on you while casting.(should do this with your setup anyway as you may unseat the 2pc and that is not a good thing to happen as the rod can break on a cast or fish) at least until you are accustomed to your setup. thanks for the info guys as this forum is starting to get some life for a change.......

Old 10-18-2010, 04:13 PM
First Mate

Hey guys...What length and weight rod do you like from the shore? when it comes to "more bang for the buck" I like Okuma reels. I have 2, a baitrunner for Stripers and a fly reel for trout. What do you think about a fly reel for the surf?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolieboy View Post
Hey guys...What length and weight rod do you like from the shore? when it comes to "more bang for the buck" I like Okuma reels. I have 2, a baitrunner for Stripers and a fly reel for trout. What do you think about a fly reel for the surf?
I have the Integrity 7/8 for salmon and large streamer fishing and love it. Smooth drag and it holds a bunch of line. Never used it in salt however. I use an LL Bean for the salt just because there is a lifetime warranty.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolieboy View Post
go to the flytying symposium mid november, and the flyfishing show in January and you can get the feel of what's out there in your price range. get hands on advice and even cast some of the TFO line or if your finding some mad money? some of the more expensive jammies. even if you don't buy anything, you will see a whole new world of fishing for yourself. i

Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
go to the flytying symposium mid november, and the flyfishing show in January
They sound good. Do you have the where and when of 'em?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

nov 20-21st is the flytying syposium. it;s at the Doubletree hotel in Somerset, NJ.
the flyfishing show is not until Jan 21-22-23rd and that show is in the same location.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Ok thanks. They sound like good places to start.