Shallow trolling tips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Florida Stripers and Hybrids
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Official Member

Default Shallow trolling tips

Hi folks, I've looked through this thread and can't find any reference to trolling shallow. I live in north Florida and fish the Saint Johns river. We have stripers here (not talking about sunshine bass or hybrids) that don't follow the same rules as their northern kin. I'm learning as I go here as local striper fishermen are few and quiet.
I want to troll at or just below the surface, the most shallow running plugs I have are Bombers and when trolled 60' behind the boat they seem to be around 6-8' deep. I know this goes against the popular grain here- I keep reading about low and slow then slower, but I can SEE the fish sometimes just below the surface, holding position and facing the current around structure.
The river is cooling down now and live bait (mullet/menhaden) are getting hard to catch so I'm thinking trolling artificials.
Anchoring and casting would be a last resort, water is about 80' deep, fast and bottom is littered with old bridges and such.
Any input on shallow running lures would be appreciated, Ive thought about attaching a cigar float ahead of the lure but it just doesn't seem right. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Shallow trolling tips

maybe planer boards, and you wouldnt have to run the plug so far behind the board as you do the boat.In freshwater lakes i have seen stripers actually hit the planer board. Water bugz is my favorite board.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Striper Hunter

The stripers here in New England love soft plastics.

I've caught many nice ones trolling behind my kayak with 4.5 inch sluggos on a light jig head and also 7" sluggo type soft baits. Same thing with a texas rigged (to run on it's side) 9" Banjo Minnow. Or why not a large plastic worm rigged the same way.

You can also troll them behind a planer board as mentioned in a previous post or with small trolling weight, rubber core sinker etc. to achieve the desired trolling depth.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Official Member

Lightbulb Re: Shallow trolling tips

Thanks fellows, I appreciate your time and both good suggestions. The planer will be a learning experience for me, the plastics- well why didn't I think of that?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Official Member

I troll a 6 inch plastic curly tail on a light jig head and have had good luck, in about 4 to 6 ft of water. I run that back about the same distance. Good luck and as always fish on.