High tide VS. Low tide - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 01-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default High tide VS. Low tide

A buddy of mine said he fishes in the little estuaries of Maine in the summer. He says he waits for low tide, and that way the fish get squeezed into the smaller pokets of the river. It makes sense to me: less water means fewer places for bait and striper to go.

Does anybody fish like this at low tide? It's been my experience that striper can be taken at low tide, but most will advise against it. I'm beginning to think tide matters less than other conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM

Default Re: High tide VS. Low tide

D.
Several factors influence the way that predators use tide and current to its advantage. Tide matters a lot. As does current and a myriad of other factors.
Your buddy is on target with the area he hunts. But you would be wise to learn how to find spots that will produce on all tide stages and weather conditions. This can takes years of experience.
I would recommend zenos book 'the art of surfcasting'. He covers these in his book on the chapter on tides.
You can also find much of that info here on these pages if you systematically read the stickies in the striper room. + and this thread https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=7161
Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

AH... but high tide allows then to visit places they normaly cant get into...thus opening a whole new buffet table...

I fish when I can, thus making use of the tide as to the location I plan to fish.... May cant get here soon enough!
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Wishin i was fishin

I hear you rocco, may seems like an eternity away for me, but yet i know it will be here in the blink of an eye.....i can't wait for those sunrises and sunsets again...
Old 01-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Some more food for thought dpoh

Capt Toms Think Current not tide.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Kinda like taking the bus uptown or down town.there ether feeding on the in coming and high or the outgoing and low. I guess on your river you like it without a lot of water,but donut forget the current with its rips
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Re: High tide VS. Low tide

I know where i fish when the tide is low the fish tend to travel the channell
when its high tide its like the light switch is turned on .but the bait is the same way when the tide is up the herring are easy to get .when the tide is out they are skiddish ''harder'' to catch but i fish in the upper hudson so maybe things are differant here ..i fish from shore to
Old 01-13-2008, 01:10 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Like others have said it really depends on where your fishing. I got some spots that I only fish out going, some incoming and some any tide.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Veteran Elite

In the Bay of Fundy at low tide you might be able to catch a crab or a seagull , But if you find a river channel you might surprise yourself. I like 1 hour before and after high tide. Watch the moons and predicted tide levels. We like about 3 days before the max. this is when the fish seem to be most excited about exploring new territory. But the best rule of thumb is if your not there you can't catch em.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

There is a spot I fish that is productive as it turns from the top, and it is productive just before dead low. If there is bait around, the low tide spots will produce.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:31 PM

I am gonna share something , i dont fish the exact tides. I have not used a high tide chart in 5 years . I fish the currents , the high slack table .. Time and water movement .... Try it you wont be disappointed .Has made my catch to skunk ratio alot higher .. I have places that will be 1 -2 3 hours before or after high low slack water .... it takes some time to get used to it but it rally works ... I will be the first one to say im am not the best fisherman or a good fisherman but nobody works harder .... Log books are so damn important

.....Plus if your serious and not a sometime Surf Rat then you will scout and log ...If the tides off or the wind is off then scout . When you scout you will have a spot for every wind and weather situation .

This sport of ours is difficult at best , its not a video game . I have spots shut down for a couple of nights for no reason , you can see them but no bite .............

I just wanted to share

MJ
Old 04-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Well, lots of fisherman prefer low tide, especially those working from shore. When the tide is low you can learn the underwater structure and where the fish will hold at different stages of the flood/ebb cycle. Fish will move back in over the exposed structure on the flood, so you can work your way back to land, fishing the structure as it gets covered. Make sense?

This is especially true around estuaries, or beaches with a lot of rocks or sandbars. Steeper beeches fish better at the higher tides, at least that's what I've found to be true. In an estuary, move up away from the mouth more than two hours after the tide starts to flood.