Season Outlook in Albany? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Season Outlook in Albany?

With this very mild winter I'm thinking the run might be earlier than previous years, I remember a very early run in Albany a few years ago. My boss asked when I was putting in for my days off for stripers and I'm at a loss, I usually do Tuesday/Thursday's off for last week in April and first two weeks of May but thinking I might do 1 day a week and shift it to earlier in April. Thoughts?

I know for me last year in April I had a good hear going until we got a heat wave and may 5th was my last good day, with May 12 being my last fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Season Outlook in Albany?

Great question.

There have been enough reports of herring up and down the river that they are almost certainly true.

In a normal year we have a few fish with the first batch of herring and then within two weeks or so the main bodies of fish and herring show up.

I think in a crazy warm winter like this their winter patterns change which then makes the spring run change too.

I think your plan to move your days off up a bit isn't a bad idea.

In an ideal world they would all show up in two weeks and then we have cold weather and the water doesn't hit the low 60's until late May giving us 7 or 8 weeks!
Old 03-20-2016, 05:51 PM
Striper Hunter

This year is definitely early I remember last year I didn't see herring consistently until April 29th. And I already saw some in the creeks so I belive take them days off early I am taking a 4 day weekend April 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Striper Hunter

I cant remember being very successful in the albany area the first week of april in the 5 years iv been targeting stripers. I wouldnt doubt for a second that we get into them on opening day in the albany area. The weather changes constently and it doenst like its getting any cooler. Good luck this season guys.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Official Member

4 yrs ago we caught them in Troy on March 24th after work on cut herring from the posty.... went after work got anchored at 4pm and had 4 boated by 630. Awsome day
Old 03-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Striper Hunter

I've only fished the Albany area...it seems like you need to fish when the first groups arrive. Otherwise the herring are far too plentiful to make your bait interesting. To catch several right after work sounds like a great time. I'm ready to go this year. I don't want to get skunked like last year. Bad memory!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Tyee

Last year was the worst year in Albany that I can remember yet I caught my biggest striper ever, was the only only I boated, so u just never know.no matter what Mother Nature throws at us, if your lines not in the water u don't have a chance. Hopefully c a lot of u out there next Friday, look for the camo Lund in Albany Troy, tight lines to all
Old 03-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Striper Hunter

I'll be out there, new Crestliner...if anyone wants to fish, send a PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Should be seeing the 2011 year class fish show up this year. That was a strong year class, which means there should be a lot more "schoolies" this year.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Official Member

Gonna be at it on the tug here in Albany for my first Hudson river season.....been a lot of seagull activity near global and saw a splash/roll also. also the catfish are biting