Did the big run ever really hit Albany? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Official Member

Default Did the big run ever really hit Albany?

Is it just me or does it seem like the big school of bass never made it to Albany area this year ? Sure there's some fish being caught... And I know there's a ton of herring around for food but this year the numbers are way down according to the 30+ ppl I've talked to. I've done great for the last ten years or so but it seems like that water warmed up way to fast and the large schools of bass we're used to up here never made it. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 08:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Did the big run ever really hit Albany?

I totally agree its like they came up to just south of Albany then it got sooo hot they turned around. Then add in the slot restriction and this season totally sucks
Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lureboy17 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like the big school of bass never made it to Albany area this year ? Sure there's some fish being caught... And I know there's a ton of herring around for food but this year the numbers are way down according to the 30+ ppl I've talked to. I've done great for the last ten years or so but it seems like that water warmed up way to fast and the large schools of bass we're used to up here never made it. Any thoughts?
It's either that or perhaps the fishery really is down. It has always seemed in years with timing like this that the herring and a few fish show up mid april and it was possible to pick away and get a fish or two each trip.

Once early May came around there was always a three or four day stretch with 10+ fish per day. That hasn't happened in years and i always looked to some excuse - rain messed up the water, it was too cold etc.

That hasn't happened in many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Things started up a full two weeks late by my count (Albany area) and look to be finishing up perhaps a couple of weeks early..a season of 10 days+-?

Daytime fishing became really bad for me starting last Thursday, with mid-morning high tides and sun beating down on the river; so I've tinkered with some nighttime fishing with what I feel is good success.

I'm hoping it isn't over yet, just off during the daytime heat...c'mon cold front!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Elite

I talked to a buddy of mine who runs a charter boat in Albany.

He said for the most part we are all done

We finally had a year without monsoons and something still messed us up.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
I talked to a buddy of mine who runs a charter boat in Albany.

He said for the most part we are all done

We finally had a year without monsoons and something still messed us up.
That stupid little thing call HEAT which fuggs up fishing, skiing, etc..etc....Albany is done. I was in Catskill Sunday night to Monday morning and the volume of fish moving south was unreal. You'll still get some straggles but not in the huge school numbers.