The River Basin Striper Contest is NO MORE!!!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 01:33 PM
First Mate

Default The River Basin Striper Contest is NO MORE!!!!

I guess Tom wants to just slow down and take it easy. What a shame. I was going to win it this year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: The River Basin Striper Contest is NO MORE!!!!

Perhaps he knows something about impending regulations that will conflict with his contest rules. I know some people don't take kindly to those types of contests that promote the harvest of very mature female bass. I'm not judging, I've entered his contest the last two seasons but haven't caught a qualifying size fish. At least not one that's going to stick to leaderboards. 39 and 40" are silly to bring in
Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Master Trophy Hunter

That's sad man. I remember signing up for this when I was 12 with my Dad. There were only like 70 people in it. Maybe less. Striper fishing was so different. We were just figuring shit out. Back then it was a dream to win it. As I got older it became more of something I had to do. I'm glad my father got to see me win it before he passed on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Official Member

I am glad for you too. My daughters were never into fishing but I can't wait to get my grandson out there. He is only one now so it will be a few years. Gotta stay healthy.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:59 AM
Striper Hunter

I would just like to post a word of thanks to the River Basin folks for instilling a bit of extra fun in the run for 27 years. I can only imagine the amount of work and the heavy weight of responsibility you have carried over years. Itís hard to start cutting back but stick with it, you have earned it. THANKS!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Striper Hunter

I think he is not having the contest because it is taken to long for the new regs to come out the cost of all the applications that he has to pay for not knowing if anyone can even keep a big fish to bring in. Its a shame its over but he does not have to be in the shop as much now and life will be easier for him he is a great guy
Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Senior Member Elite

I'm glad this contest is canceled......it is big money contests like these that entice people to keep large females that should be let go. This was mine and many others' suggestion to DEC........get rid of the big money contests. I hated seeing fish kept for a contest that normally would have been released.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Master Trophy Hunter

I always thought it would have been a good idea to up the minimum size to 44". Too many people brought fish in that 39"-42" range.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Joesacc

Striped bass tournament May be back on !!!!. Mike at Riverview marina in Catskill may be housing the tournament with Tom from River basins support . I for one will be pleased if this takes place .
Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I'm glad this contest is canceled......it is big money contests like these that entice people to keep large females that should be let go. This was mine and many others' suggestion to DEC........get rid of the big money contests. I hated seeing fish kept for a contest that normally would have been released.

I'm with you on this. Too bad they couldn't do it the way "major league fishing" on tv does it. They have judges right out there. Cut the tourneys down to one day events. between a certain area like the troy tournament does. You could have a few judges stationed out in boats with scales and rulers. Land a fish, call it over the radio and have a judge come check it, then release it. Idk. Hate to see these big cows taken.