River basin update ... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default River basin update ...

For those of you who do not follow his site.

RIVER BASIN REPORT – Wednesday, March 23, 2011

As I sit here looking out at the falling snowflakes and hear the weatherman tell me that we’ll get 3 to 6 inches of snow tonight my thoughts drift back to March 2006.

Yup, the second half of that month was beautiful, much warmer than usual, and the first of that year’s stripers arrived in the Catskill area on March 31, right along with our first sightings of local herring. The water temperature in the Catskill Creek hit 47 degrees that Friday…but believe me it ain’t even gonna be close this year. Presently the creek is still flowing at just about the 39 degree mark.

That was a great start to a year which saw the second longest striper I’d ever seen brought in the River Basin Sports Shop – a 48 ¼ incher caught by James Provoncha of Stockport – he used cut shad for bait (actually, the fish tied for the second largest ever with a monster taken by John Repko of Germantown in 2004). Of course, the largest fish of all was taken the following year, 2007, by Jeremy Phillips of Saugerties. Man, those were great fish.

Hopefully, something in the 48 inch range will be caught this year but in the 33 years we’ve been in business we’ve only had occasion to measure a total of 6 striped bass that large. The other three 48 inchers were taken by Bob Koziol (Pleasant Valley), Charles Graham (Palenville), and Dean Krissler (Alburg, Vt.).

It’s kind of interesting to note here that three of those giant fish were taken on dead bait, not live herring as is used by, and insisted on, probably 85% of our striper anglers. The fourth was taken on a Mann’s Stretch 25 plug while the two remaining were caught on live herring. It’s also interesting to see that of the top 4 fish brought in to our striped bass contest last year (2010) none were taken on live herring – two were taken on chunk bait, one on a live eel, and yet another on a Rapala. It just might be interesting and worth while for you to remember this.

From a survey we took of 20 striper fishermen last year we also learned a few other things which might be of interest to you. One of these regards which type of hooks most anglers are using. Of course, the big push during the past 5 years or so has been to get fishermen to use “circle” hooks rather than the standard style “J” hooks, the ones we’ve all been reared on. According to studies, the circle hooks are less likely to deep hook a fish – definitely preferable if you’re going to be releasing the fish anyway. Our survey showed that 30% of the fishermen had made the switch to circle hooks while 50 percent were still using the J style. Of the rest, 10% were using treble hooks and the remainder used artificials.

The most popular hook size used was 6/0 or larger – only 15% used smaller. The most popular sinker size was 3 ounces (in the main river), and 30 pound test line was the one most in use, preferred by 35% of the anglers.

15% of the striper fishermen used “level wind” baitcasting style reels and another 15% used standard style spinning reels, but 70% used the newer “baitrunner” style equipment.

Here in the shop, during the past 10 years or so, I think that we’ve only sold a total of 3 or 4 of the older style spinning reels for stripers – and have sold hundreds of the baitrunners. It really is the only way to go if you’re in the market for a new reel for bait fishing, and that is the reason we stock over two dozen different at this time of the year, ranging in price from $49 to $200 – tell me what other retail store gives you such a selection.

Of course the best way to buy one of these reels is to make the purchase as a combo – rod and reel. At present we’ve set up some great striper combos at rock bottom prices – an 8 foot two-piece striper rod along with the most-popular Okuma ABF65 reel for only $89.97. The supply of these won’t last forever so take advantage of it wile you can.

In the meantime, sit back and dream of 45+ degree water that just swarms with herring bait being chased by four foot long stripers. Tom G.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Default Re: River basin update ...

Good reading BB ...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Young salt

I concur, very interesting and detailed report Brian, thanks for the read. . . .
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM
wellsley

Great post Brian. Tom is a wealth of knowledge and a great resource of past records.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM
First Mate

Took a ride down to catskill with the little lady yesterday. We stopped in river basin to register for the contest. The first time ive ever been there. They seem like great people and have a very nice shop with more rod and reel striper specific inventory than i've ever seen. Will definitely be making another trip down soon when ive got a little more money to spend.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollinTony View Post
Took a ride down to catskill with the little lady yesterday. We stopped in river basin to register for the contest. The first time ive ever been there. They seem like great people and have a very nice shop with more rod and reel striper specific inventory than i've ever seen. Will definitely be making another trip down soon when ive got a little more money to spend.
I agree Tony (and wellsley)

They are very nice people and you can get everything you need in that shop for stripers. Plus a wealth of knowledge on Stripers (and fishing in general). He keeps everybody up to date via his website too.

I like to support places like that.

BB
Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Official Member

great reading good info do you know if they are selling bloodworms yet
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
wellsley

Tom usually doesn't start stocking bloods until the stripers are in full swing. Apparently they don't last that long.
Try certified Marine they might.