Pine Point Maine Help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Official Member

Default Pine Point Maine Help

Hello Folks,

New guy here. Thank You for all the information on the site. Let me start by assuring you that I have no clue what I am doing. I have been to Pine Point a few times only to catch nothing. I am fishing with 50lb line,a liter, triangle weight and a hook. Any pointers? Time-Tackle-Technique-Spots close to Westbrook from shore

Thanks Again,
Clueless in Westbrook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 AM
NukinFuts

Default Re: Pine Point Maine Help

What part of pine point, the side where the boats are moored, the inlet by the jetty, or the beach out front?
What are you using for bait?
What type of gear are you using (rod & reel)?

The more I know the more I can help you out.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Official Member

The Beach out front
Using Chunks of mac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
NukinFuts

50lb mono is too much, unless it's braid, then that's ok. 8-9ft rod, chunking mac is fine, try sand worms as well. Fish the other side, where the boats are moored, it's s bit more rocky over there, but the fishing can be good, same on the jetty.
Try to fish the last couple of hours either incoming or outgoing tide, late night, early mornings are good times.
Have you tried using lures at all? If not, get a couple of bombers, some slug-go's 7" in size is good, put those on a jig head (3/4 - 1oz), can't toss them very far, but they will produce fish.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripersurg View Post
50lb mono is too much, unless it's braid, then that's ok. 8-9ft rod, chunking mac is fine, try sand worms as well. Fish the other side, where the boats are moored, it's s bit more rocky over there, but the fishing can be good, same on the jetty.
Try to fish the last couple of hours either incoming or outgoing tide, late night, early mornings are good times.
Have you tried using lures at all? If not, get a couple of bombers, some slug-go's 7" in size is good, put those on a jig head (3/4 - 1oz), can't toss them very far, but they will produce fish.
I agree with Stripersburg here, all of the aforementioned methods will work @ Pine Point. I've heard of some very nice fish pulled off that beach so far this season. I fish down there from time to time but haven't had too much luck so far. A couple other pointers....if you're fishing from the beach ya probably wanna go with a slightly bigger rod, 10-11' if ya have one. 9-10' will work but the seaweed can get thick down there and bog your line down, where as a bigger rod will keep your line a bit higher and free of debris. Sandworms have proved very effective for me this season, more so than chunk macks and clams combined. If ya do decide to to use sandworms get yourself a float and toss them out 2 at a time. Crabs are always heavy down there and you'll drive yourself nuts reeling in every few minutes with an empty hook. Look for the sandbar at dead low tide and wade out as far as ya can, BIG fish lurk in/around those flats in search of an easy meal. Good luck out there man, hope ya latch into a COW!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will