Combination Planer Boards and Umbrella Rigs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Official Member

Default Combination Planer Boards and Umbrella Rigs

I have spent a little more time exploring Stripes in the middle Tn area, Cordell Hull primarily because of the low boat traffic. Up to now just dragging some various hard baits and buck tails and an occasional spoon of sorts. I have some luck when a school is wacking baitfish on the surface but till now nothing on the troll.

Ive got a pair of planerboards (TX 12's 7 1/2" they're the mini's) on the way maybe they'll be here Wednesday or so. I'm just guessing they will be too small to consider using in conjunction with an umbrella rig, even a small one.

I haven't purchased the umbrella rig yet. My thoughts are to experiment with the planers to begin with using Storm shads to get a feel pulling the boards if all goes well rig up some live shad.

The primary question I have is about using both the planer and an umbrella rig together. Is this typical? I will be using an Off Shore 7' heavy. My boat is a 14' Grumman with a 25hp Evinrude that chugs along nicely at 1.5 - 2 mph.

I'll be putting in above the dam and plan to head up stream for a couple of miles to see how it goes. The fish seem to be chasing at between 18' to 30'.

So not to be redundant, either boards, Umbrella or both? I'm just guessing the tx12's will not work well with umbrella rigsr. Maybe I should have gotten larger boards? The price was so good for the mini's (maybe thats the reason )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement