those damned Eels!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 07-02-2009, 01:07 AM

Default those damned Eels!!

After doing some considerable reading here on this site I had come to the conclusion that live eels seem to be a favorite bait for many striped bass
anglers so I decided to give it a shot. Bought a half a dozen, boarded my boat and headed for the marine parkway bridge. I hooked the eel through the lips but found that the eels kept getting wound up in my leader/weight/line. I would pull up my line and there would be a tangled mess at the end of it. Impossible to hook anything all tangled like that so I must ask..... how do you guys stop the eels from fouling your lines up.

stuck in jamaica bay!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 AM
First Mate

Default Re: those damned Eels!!

Put them on ice. That will make them take a nap. Once in the water, keep them moving slowly. If that doesn't work, slap them against the side of the boat to teach them who the boss is.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've posted so much info on this subject, it hurts just to type this....

Ice wont help your problem, seeing as the monkey fist is occurring after the line is in the water, ice will aid in the hooking part... once the eel hits the water it "wakes up" ... if the water is less than 20' deep, no weight is needed unless the current is really ripping, a nice lively eel will head straight for the bottom.. after all.. that is where home and safety lies...

If conditions warrant that you must use weight, a 3 way swivel with the eel 18" away from the sinker is the way to go, but you MUST be drifting, if you try this stunt from an anchored boat you headaches will continue.. and their in lies the secret.. keep the little varmint moving, idle eel is the eel of the devil and it most certainly will ball up...

so in summary.. keep your rigs simple, always keep the bait moving lest it will tie a monkey knot... when the fish hits drop the rod tip , when the line comes tight, drive the hook home... fish with confidence... you are using one of the most potent of all bass baits....

Tight lines
Roc
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Official Member

I am going to be in Sea Isle this weekend and plan on doing as much fishing as I can. I am thinking of using live eels from the surf at night. I have read as many posts as I could find on the subject of eels. My question is, is it still worth using live eels in the surf this time of year or am i better off using hogy's, sluggos, and gulp eels. I am also throwing bunker chunks and lures.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Im assuming you mean Sea Isle N.J.
If the conditions warrant it and you can get eels why not. The bite in NJ is over soon as the summer doldrums move in. Fish are heading north and colder waters but they may blitz the beaches at any time. This rain has been a real pia.
If there are fish around they will take the eels.
I wouldnt go with 50 baits and lures. Pick your arsenal and travel light.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Lunker

One thing I have found successful when the drift is over and you want to motor back up and try it again is to let your eel glide of the side with your boat wake. As you reposition drag you eel on the surface. Keeps them from becoming idle. A pole in a rod holder with a lively eel is signing a contract with as Roc says "the devil".
Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything. But,,,,

Try hooking the eel under the chin and out the eye. I rarely ever get a ball-up this way.

Maybe with one eye they cant see it? (dunno)

and definately as mentioned, don't ever let the eel rest on anything (sand or deck) Keep it hanging. (again, rarely a ball up)

I free line / swim them all the time without dragging. rarely a prob here with the above technique. Maybe I'm lucky? Don't think so. Perhaps the hook in eye is so painful they never think to ball? Whatever, it works.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM

No matter how you hook it an extremely lively eel will often knot up.
Hook it up then give it a whack on a rock or the transom to mildly stun it, problem solved.