A change to the River Basin's annual striper contest... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
First Mate

Default A change to the River Basin's annual striper contest...

The fee had gone up to $15. Seems a little steep, but with a 100% payback, it could be well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: A change to the River Basin's annual striper contest...

$15 is steep??? You're kidding right?

Now they need to make it a Catch & Release tourney, and send the breeders back where they belong after a quick measure and photo.
That's got to be one of the WORST places to have a kill tourney. Reward the guys who take the best, top of the line breeders out of the gene pool while they're on their spawning run.
Brilliant!!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
$15 is steep??? You're kidding right?

Now they need to make it a Catch & Release tourney, and send the breeders back where they belong after a quick measure and photo.
That's got to be one of the WORST places to have a kill tourney. Reward the guys who take the best, top of the line breeders out of the gene pool while they're on their spawning run.
Brilliant!!
Umm, I take it you didn't know that 99% of all the tournaments in NY are the same way? I DO kinda agree with you in that it's not a good idea, but I feel that it hasn't had any negative result on the population or they wouldn't let us fish for them at all during the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Pro Staff

I do know that most tourneys in NY are the same way, something that we're working hard to change, by the way. Hudson River tournaments & the Korkers Cup are high on our list.

You can say it hasn't had a negative affect on the population, but at the same time if the millions of eggs from each of those breeders were allowed to become viable and grow, not only this year but every future year that cow won't be making the spawning run, and if only even 15% of those millions of eggs each year from that one fish survived and made a spawning run themselves,,, Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would have a POSITIVE affect on the population.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm OK with a guy keeping a fish for the table every now and then. I keep a couple each year myself. I just have a problem with kill tournaments such as this, especially in spawning areas. I feel that they result in many more fish taken from the waters that otherwise might have been released if it were not for the chance at a payout. There are some great ways to do a tournament such as this and promote catch & release at the same time. Changing the tournament to C&R would not have a profound affect on the revenue generated by the tournament, and could only have a positive affect on the Hudson River fishery.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:11 PM
First Mate

Hey, soapboxes don't bother me any- I get up on them now and again myself! I agree 100% with what you said. C&R tournaments are a MUCH better idea. And let's face it- it's the money and not necessarily the fish that drives these tournaments. We need to remember that we are the only state where we are allowed to catch these great fish when they are on their spawning run.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Veteran Elite

I have been striper fishing the spring run on an almost daily basis for 10 years or so now and in my opinion the fishery has definitely declined.......i catch and see other people catch way less big fish than a few years ago. Seems like everything is now 10 - 15 pounds and the number of 20+ pounders is way down.

Who knows why but it seems there is way more pressure on the Hudson and perhaps this is part of the reason.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM

A little Hudson Tourney s247 history
Mike successfully weighed and released his 47 pound winner

HRFA 2006 DERBY

heres the story of the successful release
Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Pro Staff

I forgot about that Jim! He really went out of his way to make sure that fish survived. Props to the HRFA guys for accomodating him like they did.

I'd venture to speculate that there are very few other folks who fish that tournament who would put in that kind of effort to make sure they released the fish alive after weigh in.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Believe it or not many many fishermen on that river are catch and release.
And the shops too - are conservation minded - so much so some wont sell clams as bait because of the increased risk in mortality.
One good thing about it in my opinion is the size limit is 18 inches above the GWB.
March 16 through November 30 18" daily limit 1

Its a two month thing for the fishermen on the river and its over.