Spinner baits for LMB - color and blade type - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Spinner baits for LMB - color and blade type

I rarely fish spinner baits. Never really developed any confidence with them. But, I was looking through my tackle several days ago and came across a couple of unopenned lures. Must have got them years ago from some Bassmaster promotional. One was a white spinner bait with diamond cut twin spinners, a colorado and willow. Looked pretty. So I fished it for about 90 minutes on Tuesday after work and caught 8 bass, nothing really big but a reasonably impressive number of fish. Fished it exclusively last night for 2 1/2 hours and caught 10 more.

The big news is I landed by far the biggest bass I've ever caught on a spinner bait, a little over 6 lbs. It was a real monstah. Moved into the #4 spot on my biggest bass list. Quickly developing confidence with this bait. Sorry, no pictures. I wish I had the camera for this one. Thought about bringing the dock back to shore and running to get my camera. But didn't want to take the chance of possibly killing the fish. When I got back to my cellar, I checked my little spring scale with a 5 lb weight just to confirm my scale was still in calibration.

What colors and blades do you guys use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM

i like to use charatues,white, or blue. They are my favorites, and for me more blades the better.

~Good Luck
Old 06-06-2005, 01:37 PM

Now boys, what "top water"? I love top water. I fishe correctly, you can almost pick up fish anywhere, anytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 02:30 PM

The pond I fish kinda dictates the lure and presentation. The pond is already starting to choke up with lilly pads and weeds. Before this happens, I use a tiny torpedo in Black from Heddon for topwater action. Got a nice 3-4 pounder about a month ago. Really made the water boil as she took it.

At this point in the season for top water action I'll go to a floating bullet together with a Berkley power worm or Berkley Gulp rigged weedless and just drag it across the lilly pads and weed beds, pausing as it comes off the edge of a pad or transitions to an open spot in the weed bed. Since I work in a lab instead of the floating bullet head, sometimes I'll take a small hypo needle and inject air into the worm head and/or tail (Gulp) to keep it floating. Using this technique, I hold the rod at a position of 11:00 o'clock. When a fish grabs it, I dip the rod parallel to the water until the line tightens up and I wail on the fish. This technique requires practice/concentration until you get use to the strike and procedure there after. You have to anticipate you're gonna get hit at any moment. However, unlike fishing your typical treble hooked topwaters where the fish basically hooks itself, you have to have the patience to give it a second or three for the fish to inhale the worm before setting the hook. A lot of fun, once you get the hang of it, but very frustrating until you do. Also, I move up to 12 lb. test (from 8 pound) and set my drag to about 75% drag/tension from break. Once you do hook a fish of reasonable size, you got to get that fish up on top of the pads of weeds and horse it in or your in trouble.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:04 AM

As a result of your question regarding topwater, I went into my tackle box to reminisce. Others (besides this years winner, the tiny torpedo) I've had luck on through the years were/are:

- Rapala Skitter Pop
- Yo-Zuri Walkin' Dog
- Storm Chug Bug
- Storm Crick-hopper
- black buzzbait
- white buzzbait
- Zara puppy
- Pop-R
Old 06-08-2005, 01:07 PM

Ive always loved the spinner baits for locating fish. White in clear water and yellow in the murkier stuff. Recently storm put out a new spinners Called wildeye spin shad. They have a holographic willow leaf and swimming flash foil with replacement shads. 2 tries . 8 pickeral, crappy, perch, pumkinseed sunny and 1 undersized bass. Although the bass was caught on a heddon spinnerbait with a shad trailer. 8)
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM

Not a huge fan of spinnerbaits. It depends too. On a cloudy day, Orange colors (and chartreuse) work great for all fish.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:05 PM

I had to prove it to myself so I went out for an hour with the new indestructable rhino rod 4 lb test and a white spinnerbait. Dumb luck My new favorite lure. :P

Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 AM

Nice fishy Jim. How much was the rhino rod?:D
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM

White spinner baits rule. So that's the holographic willow blade. I fished a white spinner bait for 4 days straight on my pond, total of about 6 hours fishing and caught 30 bass, including that 6 pounder. Unfortunately, then I lost it. I was carefull to re-tie after every couple of fish too. I think maybe the line got wrapped around the last eye so that when I went to cast ------->snap. Problem is, it was a promotional thing from Bassmaster so I don't know the actual manufacturer.

Oh well, ponds too choked up with weeds and lilly pads now to fish anything but rubber worms. Was out only for 30 minutes last night before the skies openned. Caught 2 small bass on a berkley power worm in black.

The other day I had used a berkley gulp and I forgot to take it off after I was done fishing. Man, whatever they use to make it flexible volatilizes readily at room temp., to the extent that when I went to fish a couple of days later, the worm was hard as a rock. I had to soak it in water overnight just to reclaim the hook.