Epoxy spinner speed - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 AM
First Mate

Default Epoxy spinner speed

I was wondering what a good speed for spinning after applying epoxy(etex). I'm getting ready to build a spinner right now and have a few gear motors I can use. The one I'm thinking of using spins at around 2 or 3 rpm and is from the feed auger of my pellet stove. I have a few of these so they will cost me nothing(warranty repair). If I need to be faster I can increase speed with a different motor(maybe) or through some pulleys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Epoxy spinner speed

My spinner works at 5 RPM. Picked up a few 5 RPM motors from the local electronics salvage shop.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I am not sure what the speed of my spinner is. I bought a grill rotisserie motor to spin my plugs.
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

exact speed doesnt seem to matter as long as they keep moving or dont go too fast as to sling off the epoxy, same goes on the other end, too slow and the epoxy will sag.. one of my spinners spin at about 20RPM's the other at 12RPM, one is from an oil skimmer, the other from a rotissery....both work perfectly...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spinmner 09.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	11936  
Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM
First Mate

I have wood. That is a nice setup there, I only wish I had the space to have something like that. Well if I spent 3 or 4 days to clean out my garage then maybe. I think I'm going to use a rotisserie motor as it is a bit faster than the motor I have. I think I can pick up a couple from some old grills.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

side veiw of the top one, the bottom is an inline spinner, the top uses the carosel...this thing is set on a computer cart and can be wheeled anywhere in my shop..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	113441[1].jpg
Views:	73
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	11949   Click image for larger version

Name:	113442[1].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	11950  
Old 10-11-2009, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Roc, a couple questions. When you do your final coat do you apply it to the plug in the spinner case or apply it then move it into spinner? The other is what type of little torch or you using and is it any good( looks a little like a Bernzomatic(?sp)) I have go through so many of these things and just never seem to find one that lasts.

I was thinking of making a unit for the spinner that I can load the plugs on, apply the epoxy and then drop the unit and plugs into the case. Kind of based on the idea of the way you would load a Ronco Showtime Rotisserie- see below well minus the ribs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basket.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	11976  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I never thought of using a Ronco Showtime for a spinner. That would probably work pretty slick low heat to even out the epoxy. Ohhh I may have to look into that.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I apply the epoxy to the plugs as they spin..the less times you handle the plugs.. the less chance of issue...I wish I had a dollar for evry OH crap post I've seen because someone dropped a epoxy coated wet plug on it's way to their spin system...

The torch.. yes, it is a small Bernz o matic, bought at Lowes... the purpose of the torche is to allow the carbon dioxide to break up the gas bubbles, the same principle as ex haling on them.. be careful no to flame them too closely.. ot the will flame.. litterly.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
First Mate

For breaking bubbles, I've tried a alcohol lamp. Seems to work well.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
First Mate

I was not actually going to use the oven but use the concept of the meat holder/cradle. This way I can load a bunch of plugs on the holder then apply epoxy and drop onto motor/gear to spin. I/m not sure that the oven will go to a low enough temp to be safe-but I think the concept is good. I may have an oven I can try it on as long as I don't tell them what I'm going to use it for. I think a wood box, that type of cradle and motor along with a light for heat will do the same. I feel the oven is just to small plus I can make a system for 1/2 to money and handle twice the plugs

I know what you mean Roc about handling issues. In the few plugs I have done i've had 2 stuck together, 1 or 2 covered with dog/cat hair(dropped), and 1 covered with tissues. All of them were nightmares to fix. As for the torch I'm starting to use a propane powered soldering gun which also has a tip to blow heat for heat shrink tube and water proof electrical connectors, this way I'm not blowing flame at it. Plus it seems easier to control the heat, I think it's made by Weller(I have to check as it's in my truck)
Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM
First Mate

a while back I was looking into building a fly and bucktail spinner. I found a great motor for this and am going to see if it's strong enough for a plug spinner. I may also thanks to another member be getting a 3 rpm grill spinner. The motor for the bucktail/fly spinner is a 3 rpm Disco ball motor. You can order on Amazon for around $15.00. I had checked trough some of my other aves but things are just abit costly like Grainger, McMaster and such I have some parrallel gear motors but they are to costly to use for this(over $100) and I use them for an item I own and fix.

I may also try a ceiling fan motor at it's slowest speed it may work, I can even slow it down a little more than the 3 speeds they supply using a fan dimmer. Can buy a fan at Lowes on clearance for $15 or sometimes cheaper if damaged. Also folks through these out all the time
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

My 12 RPM moter is geared down to 3RPM via belts and pulleys... rotissery motors are perfect...they can handle heavy starting loads and are made for continues duty.. forget the fan motor.. most spin at 1750 RPM.. if you slow them down with a rheostat, they loose power.... unlike a DC motor...

this is not rocket science.. just keep them moveing to keep them from sagging...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
First Mate

[quote=Roccus;128331]My 12 RPM moter is geared down to 3RPM via belts and pulleys... rotissery motors are perfect...they can handle heavy starting loads and are made for continues duty.. forget the fan motor.. most spin at 1750 RPM.. if you slow them down with a rheostat, they loose power.... unlike a DC motor...

this is not rocket science.. just keep them moveing to keep them from sagging...[/quote]

This I know, just trying to do it on the cheap as $ have been super tight. Even tighter due to the Holidays.
Now that you mention it about the fan it makes sense, as I can stop the motor/fan with very little force.
I have figured even if I get a motor a little to fast or slow I will adjust speed through a couple pulleys. Some rotisserie motors are only 1 rpm which I would increase-my target is around 3 to 6 rpm The rotisserie motors I have found have been the whole kit(motor,spit, prongs and such) which I only need the motor. Just trying to find one locally as I don't want to pay for shipping(could almost double the price)

Your motor looks like the Grill Pro motor which is a really nice one. I can get a 5 rpm or so motor online for around $25 but then shipping kill me. Maybe I can find one through Amazon as their rates are usually resonable
Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

alot of the rotissery motors are square drives, so for some that can be a problem if you dont have the drive system.... I bought mine( the complete kit) in the clearance rack at lowes for $8... I have another that I pirated off of one of one the those lawn deer with the bobbing heads a guy had in the trash.. it serves as a spare until I build a 3rd spinner.. the motor on my lower spinnner is from an oil skimmer.. all the belts and gear pulleys are from a junk copy machine... if you keep looking, you can build one for cheap..or nothing at all...