Graphite USA - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Graphite USA

Hey Guys.....

Did Graphite USA go out of business? A month or so ago I was told by a Mudhole rep that they had, but haven't confirmed it. If anyone knows where I can find a/some of their B85MegaMag blank(s) I'd sure appreciate it.

If in fact these are no longer made and none are available anywhere does anyone have a suggestion as to an alternate with comparable stats/action? I've looked at blanks from pretty much every manufacturer I can think of and haven't found one that looks similar to me, doesn't mean it's not there though!

Thanks for any help.

Tight lines,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Graphite USA

Im pretty sure they're gone. Phone numbers are no longer working.
Try some of their distributors like Custom tackle of Shelbyville Tennesseee

they still have that particular blank listed in their catalogue.
So does BC Distributing located in Cypress, CA 90630 (714) 995-3997 ;

http://www.graphiteusa.com/rods/purchase.html
Perhaps someone can shed some first hand light on this.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions SJ.

I have spoken with Custom Tackle in the past and they had almost none of the blanks I was looking for in stock....not just this one, but practically every one I asked for even though they were in their catalog.

Haven't checked with BC distributing though, I'll give them a call!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Lunker
Pro Staff

Tim, those blanks were tough to come by when GUSA was up and running full tilt. My only recommendation would be to reach out to Billy Vivona (Billy40) on Noreast.com or the NE Rod Builders (NERB's) site.

He was a GUSA rep and pushed the Mega/Monster Mag line hard and was even involved in having quite a few custom tapers made to his specs from Mag mandrels just for NY/NJ bight bottom fishing.

If you are looking for a great heavy bottom / chunking stick along the lines of the GUSA take a look at the Loomis / Rogue series of heavy bait rods for salmon fishing called bounce back rods. Eight foot 1pc very fast taper rods rated for up to 10 ounces . . . The heavy Loomis blank can be had for 119.97 from Hi's Tackle Box with free shipping !

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 AM

Thanks RR, that's a great tip. I'll see if I can find Billy Viviona and what he has to say. Hope he has some of 'em or knows who might.

I actually stumbled across those GUSA blanks early on in my rod building experiments and as it was early and I was experimenting I proceeded to build some rods after that using St Croix and Loomis blanks. Specifically their respective back bouncing blanks, in fact, some of them included both of the exact blanks you suggested. Nice rods to be sure, but no where near the rod the GUSA blanks were/are relative to my application. They make nice rods for smaller (< 20 lbs) fish but I was totally taken to school by a fish last winter that I hooked when using a rod built on the heavier Loomis back bouncing blank with a reel spooled with 65# P-Pro. When I got those blanks it really made me wonder how on earth they arrive at the published specs for the rods...frankly these rods, though rated for similar line and lure weights simply do not exhibit the same characteristics/ capabilities. Kinda left me dubious of all unfamiliar blank specs.

I'm currently working on an 8' St Croix Musky blank that I bought as an alternate to the GUSA blank. A nice blank that will do what I want, I think, but is definitely a bit faster than the GUSA's, and is a bit shorter to boot. Best compromise I could come up with at the time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tim
Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 AM

Greetings All,

It is very much true, Hastings Rod Manufacturing (Graphite USA) has shut down.

A group of investors has purchased all the equipment, and have moved it back to Southern California.

Plans are in place to open up a new company/factory in the coming months. More information to come.

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM

I am a big fan of the Calstar line.
I believe they have a few blanks that meet the same specs as the GUSA blank you were looking for.