cement - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default cement

Shoo Goo + Toluene (can buy tube and a can of touluene at home depot)= head cement. will never run out and cheaper in the long run

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Default Re: cement

Is this for soft heads on large flies? Dipped? Are you cutting the silicone, only to thin it for larger profiles?

Great post. Got me thinking.

For the record, I use Hard As Nails nail polish for head cement on traditional types of ties.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Official Member

How do I keep Mylar tubing from flaring as soon as I cut it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Official Member

Default Mylar tubing

I am trying to create flies similar to the Conomo Special in final appearance. Mr. Murphy's flies have such a perfect edge. Even with epoxy, or Tuffleye, the end of my tubing flares and appears untidy.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

heat.(are you using EZ BODY?) if you use e-z body instead of the cheap stuff the conomo's and corsairs will come out neater when you (dare i say) torch the edges. it; funny you should mention it as it does it but putting the mylar close to the heat or flame gets it somewhat neater.( after you've tied you should take out the thread on both sides. e-z body mylar (melts) clearer than run of the mill stuff from the fly shop (just an observation) you could use a cheap solder iron or a jet lighter. but it makes no mind to me as i purposely make fly;s to be battered up as they work better after a bluefish mangles em. just something about that fluffed out deceiver that triggers a bite. if you are looking to sell fly;s then the finished product should by all means look perfect. you surely don;t want to leave large knots/bumps/bulges/twists or imperfections on any part of the fly let alone the business end of your terminal tackle. ie: hook eye or near it. that includes plugs and jigs as well. sometimes i get a good thread in here, welcome to the fanatical world of 247 btw, you should (if you didn;t already) get his book!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

joe, it;s just a simple head cement formula. just for purposes of securing the whip and whatnot. no special applications, i am a simple guy (don;t say it jim!)