knot help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:03 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default knot help

What type of knot should I use for attaching a mono leader to lead core.....also any suggestions on how much leader (length) I should use/what # test and is it ok to use flurocarbon instead of the mono? Thanks a lot I'm trying to kill the time and beat the cold by getting all my rods set up now so I can kill the fish later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: knot help

Hi Brian,
To attach your mono backing to the leadcore, use a Uni-to-Uni knot.

At the business end of the leadcore, I use a small Spro ball bearing swivel between the Leadcore and the leader. A good ball bearing swivel is a MUST with tube & worm rigs, as they tend to spin and will twist your line up if you don't have a good swivel inline. These swivels are also small enough to reel through the guides if you need too at the end of the day.

I remove a small section of lead from the end of the leadcore line and use a Uni knot to tie it to the swivel. Then I'll attach about 4 feet of 50# Flouro leader to the other side of the swivel.

I'm sure others may do things a little differently, but this has worked well for me.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: knot help

whats the difference between mono backing and the leader itself? i thought it just went.....lead core, then your leader..where does the backing fit in the equation? and by uni-to-uni knot you mean a uni knot, swivel, uni knot right? thanks for the help I appreciate it