Spinning reels, quality vs. price. - Page 5 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Default Re: Spinning reels, quality vs. price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
I thought I would post this, this is a Water Proof Drag and Body Shimano. Yes they make it..Shimano Twinpower SW
Born of the same engineering pedigree as the world’s number one threadline – Stella, the TwinPower carves its own niche amongst the range of ultra-high performance reels that Shimano has become renowned for.

The TwinPower will handle anything thrown at it and continue asking for more, displaying many of the same qualities that make the Stella so successful and Shimano a pioneer in heavy saltwater sportfishing and jigging applications.

Built on the “SR” philosophy (smooth, silent, strong and reliance), the TwinPower gets its unbelievable cranking power and strength from a heavy-duty cold-forged drive gear paired with a Brass pinion, near frictionless efficiency from intuitive design and reliability from decades of research and development unrivalled by any other manufacturer in the industry.

All these features are housed in a water-proof hybrid aluminium body which is then super-charged by the same Hyper-disk drag found in the Stella SW. Less wear on parts and effortless operation are thanks to no less than 11 Shimano bearings. Each reel also features AR-C spool design, Aero Wrap II, Rigid Support Drag, one-piece bail, Super Stopper II, Power Roller and Floating Shaft II.
http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publis...npower_sw.html
Used it and took it apart if you think any of Shimano's stuff is waterproof and good for extreme surf fishing you fall prey to another marketing ploy, however you can catch 400# plus tuna on the thing and the main shaft won't bend like the VS! Stella=Great boat reel especially for tuna....surfcasting is not where it should be used......I know I destroyed a couple of them doing it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Used it and took it apart if you think any of Shimano's stuff is waterproof and good for extreme surf fishing you fall prey to another marketing ploy, however you can catch 400# plus tuna on the thing and the main shaft won't bend like the VS! Stella=Great boat reel especially for tuna....surfcasting is not where it should be used......I know I destroyed a couple of them doing it!
This is not the Stella! It is the Twin Power and is not a US sold reel. To get one you need to import or bring back from a trip over seas. Well or on Ebay, but many are the older models with a few newer ones. The Stella only claims to have waterproof drag so if you "extreme surf fish" swim or dunk a Stella often then your asking for problems. Why would you do that to $600 plus reel when it makes no claim to have a waterproof body?

I have a friend in Austraia that has a few Twin Powers and he loves them. He claims they have been dunked many times with no problems. I know him as I ship a bunch of tools(Hilti, Ridgid, etc.) to him as they are much cheaper in the US. I wait till I have a large shipment and then send in one package. He is now asking about shipping reels as they coast 2 to 3 times as much there. Does anyone here use an Alvery, not the Fly Reel but the Surf reel. They swear by them is Austrailia as they are nothing to maintain plus they say they cast very well. Downside is the 1:1 retrieve.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Check the links I posted, you can get twin powers pretty easy and not just from Aus...
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoma
In Arizona, in the summer time, the temp is 115F. We can literally fry eggs on the sidewalk. Inside the car the temp is easily 160-175F. The only place I can fish is in the local rural lakes or the large reservoire lakes (yes, it has stripers). Not the first time, I put the reel/rod on the ground for 30-45 min and when I came back the reel's but (the yellow plastic at the end of the reel) was warped or the graphite rotor was cracked. It the reel was OK, the plastic reel seat's locking knut was cracked. This may also be to the fact that the reel/ rod gets very hot and I put them in the water to cool off. All those were Shimano, Penn, Quantum reels from $50 to $75. If the reel did not break at the lake, the heat in the car got it. I went to the stores and asked which reel is the best, but since we are a fresh water state, all the reels are limited to that, and are cheap. Did not trust the brands I have lost before and I was looking for something different, special. One friend advised me to look into salt water reels type since they "are" built better. This is how I ended up on this forum after searching the web for a long time. I started to read as much as I can and have learned about the VS and ZB reels. The more I was learning about them, the more I understood the fact that if they are good for the surf and the rocks, they will be good for me. Was not happy about the price but Shimano Stella and Daiwa Saltiga were in the same ball park. What I liked about the VS and ZB is the fact that they are machine made, not cast aluminum, all metal no plastic parts.
Quote:
I have for sale or trade two reels in very good condition. The reels were never taken to the water. I you want to trade, I am looking for a conventional reel in the range/type of Penn 321GT (left hand crank) and please post /send clear detailed pictures. The reels are Penn Sargus 5000 and Quantum XR60F. The Penn reel has had the rotor ported to allow the water to escape faster and has been powder coated. Reels turn smooth, no problems. If interested, or have more questions, please let me know.
fraud
you mentioned before that these reels melted are these the same ones your selling here? , and why would you want a penn gt?, won't that melt too theres plastic on it

Last edited by prta79; 10-29-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: ?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Fiiiishy...fishy, fishy, fishy...I got plastic for you...

You made me laugh...rubber reel...
The two I want to trade are not the ones that cracked. Those are in the garbege LOOOONG time ago (but I kept the bearings). The Quantum was on my Shimano Salt Water Series rod (never used) and the Penn I ordered 1 month ago and was ready to put it on my custom Seeker rod before I saw the VS and ZB. I need a classic reel for my Shimano rod and will take to Carslbad to my friend's house so I don't have to drive with one on the car roof.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoma View Post
You made me laugh...rubber reel...
The two I want to trade are not the ones that cracked. Those are in the garbege LOOOONG time ago (but I kept the bearings). The Quantum was on my Shimano Salt Water Series rod (never used) and the Penn I ordered 1 month ago and was ready to put it on my custom Seeker rod before I saw the VS and ZB. I need a classic reel for my Shimano rod and will take to Carslbad to my friend's house so I don't have to drive with one on the car roof.
their penn gt is not rubber it's graphite, aren't those other reels also graphite?
so your saying the ones your selling are the same model that melted but not the same ones?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 AM
Fiiiishy...fishy, fishy, fishy...I got plastic for you...

...would like to trade before sale...
Penn Sargus is all metal, never used it, practically is new just modified. The Quantum (also new, never used) is...I guess...the same plastic/graphite material of the Shimano and Penn that cracked from the heat (reels were very hot from the sun and dunked them in the water to cool off) and a short while later I found the leg cracked on ther Shimano and the rotor cracked on the Penn.
I could say the reels were still usable but since I like perfection, put them in the garbage after I gutted them.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Check the links I posted, you can get twin powers pretty easy and not just from Aus...
I don't see any links, does not matter as I know know where and how I can get them. And as I said you can bring back from trip, import or Ebay. This is a copy of my quote" To get one you need to import or bring back from a trip over seas. Well or on Ebay, but many are the older models with a few newer ones."
They are not offically offered for sale from Shimano in the US. The Twin Power has also been redesigned very recently.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 PM
Official Member

Both the reels you mentioned were designed for durability. Sealed reels are the way to go for surf fishing unless your good at replacing bail springs and opening up your reels once a year to check for corrosion.
Your choice .