How much have you spent?!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Default How much have you spent?!!

I was out shopping and realized about how much money I"ve spent so far in preparation for the season, so far I'm up about $ 500.00(this is the low end).
How much are we spending in prep. for the season opener??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: How much have you spent?!!

Shit...i just upgraded to the new Humminbird Onix10 and I'm looking at adding radar.......not to mention the new Truth and Okuma Andros reels i recently got. Now add in the new herring rigs, Myerson special sinkers, filet knife, musky sling, boat shoes, VHF antenna........I don't even wanna think about adding it up and I haven't even begun with spark plugs, gas filters and 2 stroke oil.....plus all the blood worms I have to get.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:40 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

Heading out next weekend to possibly purchase a new Parker Sport Cabin 2150. This may end up being the most expensive of all striper seasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejunipero View Post
Heading out next weekend to possibly purchase a new Parker Sport Cabin 2150. This may end up being the most expensive of all striper seasons.
And the winner is....!!!!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
Shit...i just upgraded to the new Humminbird Onix10 and I'm looking at adding radar.......not to mention the new Truth and Okuma Andros reels i recently got. Now add in the new herring rigs, Myerson special sinkers, filet knife, musky sling, boat shoes, VHF antenna........I don't even wanna think about adding it up and I haven't even begun with spark plugs, gas filters and 2 stroke oil.....plus all the blood worms I have to get.
you must have a real good job Doc, lol !!!

p.s. I hope the best for ya at the catch and release tournament!!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Damn guys , I haven't spent $50 bucks ... you guys are making up for me lacking

Good luck with the New boat Pete !!

BB
Old 03-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
Damn guys , I haven't spent $50 bucks ... you guys are making up for me lacking

Good luck with the New boat Pete !!

BB
I'm with you Brian .... a big spool of 20 lb test, a few sabikis, weights and hooks and i'm set for the year. I bet $50 lasts me three years.

Although i am debating putting my boat on a dock for the run .... it's about 2 miles from my new job and would be way easier than hauling a trailer.

Anyone have any experience with bilge pumps, batteries etc?. I have a 12' rowboat that leaks so i need to figure that out if i leave it in the water.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
I'm with you Brian .... a big spool of 20 lb test, a few sabikis, weights and hooks and i'm set for the year. I bet $50 lasts me three years.

Although i am debating putting my boat on a dock for the run .... it's about 2 miles from my new job and would be way easier than hauling a trailer.

Anyone have any experience with bilge pumps, batteries etc?. I have a 12' rowboat that leaks so i need to figure that out if i leave it in the water.
I had a leaky canoe, fixed it with a tube of silicone sealent, weatherproof, bonds to metal etc. Threw that in the caulk gun and had at it, little by little I found the spot (and it was rather large ) along the keel. this stuff was flexible also. Found it al Lowes,
Old 03-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
you must have a real good job Doc, lol !!!

p.s. I hope the best for ya at the catch and release tournament!!
Hahaha.....just a real good credit card.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
I had a leaky canoe, fixed it with a tube of silicone sealent, weatherproof, bonds to metal etc. Threw that in the caulk gun and had at it, little by little I found the spot (and it was rather large ) along the keel. this stuff was flexible also. Found it al Lowes,
Thanks .... i have managed to patch a few.

Even if it was watertight i still need a battery and bilge pump for heavy rains etc. I am wondering how often i would need to charge the battery, what size to get etc. I am actually planning on buying an electric trolling motor and am hoping that battery will work well for my pump.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:36 PM
First Mate

Shoot, Striper fishing is the least of all expense of any type fishing I do..
I have fished them for over 40 years and way back in the 70's all you needed was a stout rod , 20 lb test and a bucktail jig.. We put plenty in the freezer from shore under the Columbiaville bridge ..

Given that ,
Now, you still don't need a boat.. HH park or schodack park are free and super easy to shore fish as well as productive..
Many years I spent in the river in my 14' Jon boat without electronics and launched in the Sport creek and have done well.
I have since upgraded to a 22' great lakes boat with the premise of fishing Ontario and using it for stripers as well.. Still, Striper fishing is a drop in the bucket compared to gear needed on Ontario.. Some 5/0 hooks, 3-6 oz sinkers and a few sabiki rigs and your set. The biggest expense for me for stripers is the marina fee for the season as it's much easier then launching and trailering to schodack (which is free during the week) ..
If you are spending over $50.00 (rod & reel excluded) to fish for stripers, your spending to much $$

P.S.
The campsites at Schodack island are horrible, way to small and close to each other.. I was in there 2 weeks ago and the place was a disaster and they been working on this project for almost 2 years now.... Given the sites they have, there are only about 4 that I would rent..
Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Thanks .... i have managed to patch a few.

Even if it was watertight i still need a battery and bilge pump for heavy rains etc. I am wondering how often i would need to charge the battery, what size to get etc. I am actually planning on buying an electric trolling motor and am hoping that battery will work well for my pump.
I bought a full size battery and elec. motor for my 14ft. Radisson square stern canoe, found out I could easily go two miles out and back, fishing all day!
One day I went two miles out and the battery died. took a while to row back.
Stopped at the first marina I saw and bought a Johnson 2hp., $600.00
Best investment I made, MUUCCHH more power, easy up keep, my canoe throws a wake at 12mph. !!
Any how, Die Hard makes a great 12v battery charger engine starter with deep cycle capable, and you"re gonna proly want a deep cycle battery for that motor. I charged my deep cycle battery after every trip out.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Striper Hunter

I made 2 sabiki poles today. I had to do something to stop the bleeding.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Besides new line I didn't "Reelly" need anything else... but had that urge to buy something new/different. I decided on them "rattle sinkers" from the world record striper company. I decided on the 4oz original and 4oz inline. When I got the package and opened it, I saw I paid $19.30 with shipping for 2 sinkers... Should have checked that quantity better.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Striper Hunter

About $375 for parts and 20 hours work rebuilding a 25 yr old tilt/trim unit last week, and I haven't even got to the tackle store yet this year.....