Question about my rod. - Stripers247.com Forums
 
Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 PM
mkiikme mkiikme is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default Question about my rod.

Good evening all,

I am fairly still a newbiee but def know the basics.

I have a rod reel combo of a tsunami tfss-1002mh and an okuma with 50# braided line.

I fish mainly in the Hudson river in edgewater, nj with a fish finder rig. and

I have noticed my 10' rod is smaller compared To some other heavy duty ones I've seen.

Is my rod and reel ok for this??

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Kayakfishr Kayakfishr is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 23
Default Re: Question about my rod.

I have the exact same setup with the Okuma ABF65. As long as you use a long enough leader with mono, you should have no problems. I have landed a few with my 9' Tsunami as well, but it was an experience. Good luck, and tight lines!
__________________
Catch and Release
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
mkiikme mkiikme is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakfishr View Post
I have the exact same setup with the Okuma ABF65. As long as you use a long enough leader with mono, you should have no problems. I have landed a few with my 9' Tsunami as well, but it was an experience. Good luck, and tight lines!
Thank you sir!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 AM
JakeF's Avatar
JakeF JakeF is offline
Moderator
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 5,895
Default Re: Question about my rod.

That's a fine mid level rod for striper fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM
freddie the j freddie the j is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 572
Default Re: Question about my rod.

I have a question about my rod too. How come it isn't as hard as it used to be?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 PM
mkiikme mkiikme is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I have a question about my rod too. How come it isn't as hard as it used to be?
damn. good question. i got you sir.

http://www.viagra.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 PM
mkiikme mkiikme is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
That's a fine mid level rod for striper fishing.
thanks for the reply Jake.

Just out of curiosity, the rod reads 15-30 # line and 2-5 oz. If I'm using a 50# braided line and casting on a 6 oz sinker, this will be ok? I just like to "follow" instructions i guess and just hoping this won't send a guide flying off.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
JakeF's Avatar
JakeF JakeF is offline
Moderator
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 5,895
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiikme View Post
thanks for the reply Jake.

Just out of curiosity, the rod reads 15-30 # line and 2-5 oz. If I'm using a 50# braided line and casting on a 6 oz sinker, this will be ok? I just like to "follow" instructions i guess and just hoping this won't send a guide flying off.
Overloading the rod will cause you to be more likely to actually snap the rod itself than to damage a guide. The line rating is less of an issue, as you're unlikely to have your reel's drag set that high. I rarely run my drag higher than 5-8lbs of pull on a spring scale. The weight to which you are subjecting the blank during the cast is more critical, IMO.

That said, some manufacturers (like Lamiglas) tend to rate their blanks higher than they should be (i.e. rated to 5 oz, but really should only be rated to 4), while some manufacturers rate their blanks on the low side (i.e. my AFAW Estuary rod is rated to 4 oz, when really it's fine to 5 or 6). I'm not sure how accurate Tsunami's rating happens to be, maybe someone else who has used their rods more extensively could tell you.

Your casting technique also can become a factor. Someone who tends to just gently lob it out there can generally push the weight rating a bit more than someone who uses a very powerful pendulum cast.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
mkiikme mkiikme is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Overloading the rod will cause you to be more likely to actually snap the rod itself than to damage a guide. The line rating is less of an issue, as you're unlikely to have your reel's drag set that high. I rarely run my drag higher than 5-8lbs of pull on a spring scale. The weight to which you are subjecting the blank during the cast is more critical, IMO.

That said, some manufacturers (like Lamiglas) tend to rate their blanks higher than they should be (i.e. rated to 5 oz, but really should only be rated to 4), while some manufacturers rate their blanks on the low side (i.e. my AFAW Estuary rod is rated to 4 oz, when really it's fine to 5 or 6). I'm not sure how accurate Tsunami's rating happens to be, maybe someone else who has used their rods more extensively could tell you.

Your casting technique also can become a factor. Someone who tends to just gently lob it out there can generally push the weight rating a bit more than someone who uses a very powerful pendulum cast.
Jake, thank you for your input. I will definitely have to look into this as I am fishing off a pier using a pretty powerful pendulum cast to get as close to the middle of hudson and to avoid getting tangled with others on the pier.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
mkiikme mkiikme is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakfishr View Post
I have the exact same setup with the Okuma ABF65. As long as you use a long enough leader with mono, you should have no problems. I have landed a few with my 9' Tsunami as well, but it was an experience. Good luck, and tight lines!
Hey Kayakfishr. As you have the the same Tsunami rod, could you please give me your advice on whether or not i should keep casting a 6 oz sinker off a pier? Don't really want this rod to snap in half. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM
JakeF's Avatar
JakeF JakeF is offline
Moderator
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 5,895
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiikme View Post
...casting a 6 oz sinker off a pier...
Just one point of clarification.... Are you casting a 6oz sinker PLUS your bait, or is 6oz the total weight of what is on the end of your line (sinker + bait)?

If you are acually using a 6 oz sinker, then adding a chunk of bait to it, you're actually casting probably closer to at least 7-8 oz...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
mkiikme mkiikme is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Just one point of clarification.... Are you casting a 6oz sinker PLUS your bait, or is 6oz the total weight of what is on the end of your line (sinker + bait)?

If you are acually using a 6 oz sinker, then adding a chunk of bait to it, you're actually casting probably closer to at least 7-8 oz...
usually casting out a 5 oz sinker...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
JakeF's Avatar
JakeF JakeF is offline
Moderator
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 5,895
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiikme View Post
usually casting out a 5 oz sinker...
So add to that the weight of your bait, and you'll have a better idea of the rod rating you should be looking at.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM
iFISH316 iFISH316 is offline
Striper Hunter - iFish NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester County
Posts: 107
Default Re: Question about my rod.

JakeF is gold mine of knowledge, thanks for your detailed explaination! I was trying to tell a guy who was fishing near me the exact same thing the other day as he was trying to put TWO 4 oz sinkers to "cast to the middle of the river"!! He had a beater rod and said he could care less if it broke, I took a closer look and his top two guides were already broken! I was hoping to see some sort of catastrophy but I had run shortly after...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
JakeF's Avatar
JakeF JakeF is offline
Moderator
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 5,895
Default Re: Question about my rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFISH316 View Post
JakeF is gold mine of knowledge, thanks for your detailed explaination! I was trying to tell a guy who was fishing near me the exact same thing the other day as he was trying to put TWO 4 oz sinkers to "cast to the middle of the river"!! He had a beater rod and said he could care less if it broke, I took a closer look and his top two guides were already broken! I was hoping to see some sort of catastrophy but I had run shortly after...
I doubt the guides were beat up from casting,,, more likely from dropping them on the rocks or banging them against the railing of a pier. A lot of beater rods are telephone poles that are rated for insanely heavy weights. I saw a guy once who was trying to figure out why he couldn't cast a 1.5oz bucktail worth a crap. A quick look at his rod showed that it was rated for 8-12oz and there's no way a 1.5oz bucktail is even going to start loading that rod.

Every rod has a sweet spot as far as distance casting goes, and that is rarely beyond the rod's maximum rating. Start overloading the rod to where it does not have enough reflexive strength to provide that extra snap at the end of the cast and you start to lose distance.

For example, I have a Lamiglas 1321 which is rated 1-3 oz. Through trial and error I've found that I get the best distance with 2.0 to 2.25 ounces. I notice quite a significant decrease as soon as I near 3.0 ounces.

But not every rod is the same. I have an AFAW Estuary rod, which is also rated 1-3 ounces but really should be rated 2-4oz. It's sweet spot as far as distance goes seems to be about 3 to 3.5oz.

There are a wide variety of misconceptions and old wives tales floating around out there about what you can do to increase casting distance. 9 times out of 10 it comes down to casting the right weight for the rod you're using, and proper casting technique.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
question, rod

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Age Old Question Of Rod + Reel CoolMike Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. 9 05-29-2012 12:22 AM
Wrapped vs Unwrapped rod question?? StriperHyper The Striper Forum 9 03-07-2011 01:45 PM
Rod question Mr.Grumpy Surfcasting Central 2 07-13-2008 11:44 AM
The Ugly Stick and the story behind the naming of the best selling rod of all time Striperjim Reference Library 6 03-05-2008 12:17 PM
Newbie question about the difference between surf rod brands Mr. Papa Saltwater Tackle Shop 5 01-22-2006 09:00 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com