Roanoke Va - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Virginia's Rivers, Lakes and Impoundments
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Roanoke Va

Hi all, great site, tons of info, love it. Just moved to Roanoke, Va from Wisconsin and looking to get into some striper fishing! I have a window of about a month and a half to get out for a weekend or two and do some Striper fishing with my 10 year old. I have no idea where to start, which direction to head etc. I'm up for driving a few hours if needed and definitely love river fishing. I will be shore fishing/wading for now as my boat had to stay in Wisconsin. With that being said if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be wonderful, as far as tactics etc, I'm sure I can find that all here on the forums, so I'm just looking for general locations. Thanks, and well met! Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Roanoke Va

Don't know that area specifically. Might try the Oregon Inlet in NC if it's not too far away

Just stay within the eez...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Official Member

Welcome to Va. Smith Mt. Lake is 1/2 hour away.Great striper lake. rt.22 across the bridge is Captains Quarters Tackle shop. Talk to Dwayne,nice guy,he'll get you headed in the right direction. He books guide trips too.
Tell him Amazing Grace sent you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Striper Hunter

Steelhead, Howdy, I am looking forward to moving to that area in 2yrs when I retire. Living on L.I. is getting $$$$$$$! Smith Mt lake has a lot of what I have and enjoy on L.I. I am looking forward to the striper fishing and making lures to play with, it sure is a beautiful place. Good luck, there is plenty of veriety in the lake to enjoy.----LOUIE
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Hey all, thanks for the quick replies! Ive done a fair bit of research on Smith Mountain Lake and from what I can tell, you need a boat to access any of the Striper fishing, which unfortunately is not an option until our new baby is a little older.

I have also looked into fishing the Roanoke River in Weldon and the Rappahanock(sp?) river, both look like you need boats also, unless someone knows differently.

Driving to the coast for the weekend is not out of the question, would Virginia beach suffice? or go North or South? I am an experienced Musky\Walleye angler as well as Great lakes salmon/trout. So I should be able to pick up things fairly quickly once I can establish a game plan.

Thanks again!
Jeff
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM