Baiting Tube lures - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Baiting Tube lures

Hey I am going out tom morn for a few days on Long Island to get the kinks out of the boat. I have fished with tube lures before with limited results. Today @ cabellas, I picked up a nice surgical tube lure for trolling. I also grabed some oil to fill it with. My question is this: On the back of the package, it says "You MUST use bait" Wierd...I cant figure this out...It gives examples of some bait too..like sand worms and small eels etc.. But...I have NEVER EVER EVER seen anyone attach bait to a tube lure\.
The instructions (yeah i read them ..lol) they say For Trophy Striped Bass: 1 troll or retrieve slowly 1 to 2.5 mph as close to the bottom as possible. yada yada 2 "You MUST bait the hook". 3 Best baits to use are blah bl;ha blha.. 4 , 5, 6. the tube should have a slow rolling action to it and not a propeller spin to it. it goes on and on up to 10. So, The entire statement on this pacage leads me to believe that they are sayign to bait the tube lure. It does say " For Trophy Striped Bass" and these tips go on to 16 covering how to use led c ore to get to the bottom with the lure. SO...I am WAY confused. Am I realy to put a sandworm or baitfish on this tube?
SOrry so long ..i am hope'n I can get this answered before I leave in the morning. Thanks guys and I will let you know how my trip went. Prob goign to go troll The race for stripers ...maybe try to bang out some fluke around Mauntalk down long island...and dream of goign off shore again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Baiting Tube lures

Sandworm on the hook,, yes.

100 times more effective with it.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Cow Catcher

sandworms are a must!!
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Yeah...I ran into a few of the guys in Hilliards. ( a well known tackle shop in Niantic CT) They said that some people swear by baiting with fish , someswear with worms, some swear to use nothing but the tube.
Well, WEnt out to the Race trolled for 3 hours @ 1.5 mps- 2. (over land) --nothing. went to the west side of fishers island...Nothing. gave up on stripers fro the night. WOke up late 6:00 am..went fluking off fishers...nothing. My guess is this, WE got shafted with our spring weather...maybe its too cold and there just late? idk... Had a crap load of fun though. We sleep via anchor off Wilderness point Fishers island in 12 feet of water... I should have known when i saw those 9 foot gental rollers coming in. We could not sleep cause the surf was so loud. Normaly it puts me to sleep. not this time.
Jerramie
Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
First Mate

tubes and worms go together like peanut butter and chocolate.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Striper Hunter

How I will get a sand worm on that hook...idk its a big mother hook! but...I will def use them now. Tell me...is it the act of an eel eating/chasing the sand worm or the smell that excites the stiper?