hopkins and kastmaster - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 PM

Default hopkins and kastmaster

hey guys i have been intrested in getting and hopkins no = and an acme kastmaster but dont know what onz who be best for offshor and dock pier fishing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: hopkins and kastmaster

slinging steel from a pier? oh boy! can you say earlobe??? the venerable SNAP! of the line and the mighty steel sailing into the sunset is music to my ears "well, not my ear lobe" be sure to remember me as this happens rich......
there are reasons to have steel in your arsenal. one of the reasons i think you should have them is you will be into bluefish often. when the fish are out further than your clam can reach it is good to have something that can get to the blitz. ideally, you want the hopkins shorty/2 oz 3 oz and even the 4 oz kastmaster. while new to fishing for bass, the shorty is more like a jig (if on the beach and not around rocky structure - and whilst you are not savvy to the way it works in such rocky environment it is unwise to jig it there till you are adept grasshopper) some of the heavier steel is for rougher surf and wind in the face. the shorty will sail out on calm winds and laid down water. and it's action sometimes triggers a schoolie to bite. carrying around an extra pound of steel with all your lead/bucket/beers/lantern/bait/radio/sandspikes/ can be worthwhile. omfg. i am condescending of the new guy again>>> forgive me rich, i am just kidding.....

Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 AM

so when purchasing hopkins. should you keep the treble on or switch it to a single and if the treble works best should it have the feathers on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM

I always have a Hopkins in my bag.
Always rigged with a single hook.
The Shorty gets a bit of white and yellow bucktail on the hook - it's used when peanuts are around. Also Blue and white and is thrown when herring is the bait.
The long thin Hopkins, noEqul (sp?) gets a length of colored surgical tubing and is fished when sand eels are around.

When blues are around I use the cheap knockoffs from the $1 bin with bare hooks.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Both of them are my #1 go-tos!

For me,,, definately single hook. Plus I stick with between 1 - 4 oz. 2&3 oz are scoffed up by me whenever I find a good sale,,,, anywhere / anytime.
I go thru a lot of them.

Be inventive on the hook end.
Some rooster hackle, some bucktail, and Flashabo can make a very convincing squid patern for the a striper / blue / fluke / squetueg could die for (depending on size).

Another is simply a single hook dressed with black rooster flatwing style and some black bucktail as a head. Paint the old beat-up Master black and it seems to work well along the bottom as a eel imitation at night. (1-2 strands of Angel Hair per side doesn't seem to hurt.. )

Try running one hookless in reverse. Tie on a main w/ droppers for some light slurpers in the back waters during a worm hatch.

As mentioned, I go thru a lot of them. The chromed bronze serves many uses besides what they are sold for.

Be inventive, get out of the box.
Best lure ever made (IMHO). Fresh or salt.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM View Post
Some rooster hackle, some bucktail, and Flashabo can make a very convincing squid patern for the a striper / blue / fluke / squetueg could die for (depending on size).

Fish it like a jig for weakies, pink hair, white hackle - effin brilliant !!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 PM

hell yea. never thought you could dress them for weakies. sweet idea.