Bakersfield Aqueduct - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 AM

Default Bakersfield Aqueduct

Hi All, this is my first post on this site. I would like to say hello. I am new to fishing the aqueduct, and I have caught a few stripers (very few), but I would like to hopefully start catching more. So I wanted to start this thread for people that fish the Aqueduct in the Bakersfield and surrounding areas to share tips, reports, and other info so maybe we can all start cathing a few more. I'll start with the last day I was out at the duct on Friday (1/2/08) at the gates across from the golf course near Taft the water was not moving I didn't get a bite however a few people around me caught some on anchovies. I was using chicken liver but no bites, and I also had a lipless crank bait (American shad pattern) that has worked in the past but no takers that day. Anyone have any advise? I'm getting kind of burned out at this spot at the duct and I wanted to know if here was anywhere else in or around Bakersfield I could try? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Striper Fever

Default Re: Bakersfield Aqueduct

Hello csubmatt,
Welcome aboard!
There are a lot of people that fish the aqueduct out in Bakersfield.
I have a website that might help you check it out. Just click on the blue underline aqueductfishing below my name.
Dodoman and a few others here that also fish the aqueduct. It has changed a lot due to water not running as much as it was and now they are cutting back on the water flow 10% more this year. Why? cause of the small smelt fish that are protected, also lack of water. I fish the aqueduct here in Palmdale. I have used the Shad L-Rattle Traps 3/4 oz and the Shad Storm baits at wal-mart. Late at night has been doing good here after 10:55 pm so far, that will change too. The fish are getting use to water not flowing as much and the cold weather. Good luck out there and Happy New Year to you and yours.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 AM
First Mate

I drove through Bakersfield a few months ago, on a cross country trip. Stayed the night too. While I regret not trying the 24 hour mexican food shack by the motel, I can't believe I missed some striper fishing too.

To my ingnorant eyes it looked to be all beach and no Ocean out there. Now I know better.

Good luck guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Striper Fever

The aqueduct is a way to go, bringing them in from the ocean into the lakes and whamoooooooooo! Here they are! Thanks man
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Official Member

There are a bunch of places to fish the duct around Bakersfield, and if you ask me, one of the worst places is across from the golf course. Yes, I said it. I realize a lot of big fish have been caught there, but an awful lot of fishing pressure too. A friend of mine has caught 4 stripers over 40 lbs from that area, but that was years ago.
Try the gates at Tupman and the gates off of Freborn road. Both sets are really close to the golf course. Lots of siphons from the golf course to the grapevine. Sometimes big fish are at the siphons. Try grates where the water is pulled from the aqueduct. Those grates house Tule Perch which come out to play at night and the big fish kinow it.
Most of all put in a lot of time and throw big lures, bucktail jigs and leave the bait at home. It will catch you lots of small fish, but not many big ones.
I would venture to say, I have fished the California aqueduct as much if not more than almost anyone in the last 10 years. There are big fish to be had, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
Good luck. BTW, my best year fishing the aqueduct yielded 55 fish over 10 lbs, lots of those over 20 lbs, so the fish are there.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Striper Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
There are a bunch of places to fish the duct around Bakersfield, and if you ask me, one of the worst places is across from the golf course. Yes, I said it. I realize a lot of big fish have been caught there, but an awful lot of fishing pressure too. A friend of mine has caught 4 stripers over 40 lbs from that area, but that was years ago.
Try the gates at Tupman and the gates off of Freborn road. Both sets are really close to the golf course. Lots of siphons from the golf course to the grapevine. Sometimes big fish are at the siphons. Try grates where the water is pulled from the aqueduct. Those grates house Tule Perch which come out to play at night and the big fish kinow it.
Most of all put in a lot of time and throw big lures, bucktail jigs and leave the bait at home. It will catch you lots of small fish, but not many big ones.
I would venture to say, I have fished the California aqueduct as much if not more than almost anyone in the last 10 years. There are big fish to be had, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
Good luck. BTW, my best year fishing the aqueduct yielded 55 fish over 10 lbs, lots of those over 20 lbs, so the fish are there.
Hello Dan,
I do know that the big ones are there just got to know where they are, I am not familar with Bakersfield but know a lot of people that do fish it. I fish here in Palmdale and I have landed 2 fish over 50 lbs in one day over my 30 years. I have landed all different sizes. My biggest was 30.25 lbs. I am still waiting to get the 50 lber and I know that it is in there. I have fished all over and the lakes too, but I do love the aqueduct the most. If you don't mind I need information for my webisite for fishing locations for people who ask me. Will you help me with it. Sounds like you know the areas. Happy New Year and may you land the bigger one this year, wish we all get our size and goal of fish!
Stiper Bill
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Official Member

My goal was to always catch a 50 lber also Bill. Still my goal, but I don't fish as often as I used to. I bought a viciously fast motorcycle and love to ride that too, so my time is split, not to mention I am contemplating turbocharging the bike to eventually get close to 500HP.
I do love to fish the duct though. I can help with the locations if people are interested. You know as much as I do though, that to catch the big fish takes lots of time and effort and a little luck also.

Last edited by JakeF; 01-09-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Too specific for public forum,, use a PM for sharing that info. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Striper Fever

Thank you, just need two maps of two good locations for others to go to for my webite. Email me anytime with them if you can help and thank you [email protected]
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 PM

Thanks Bill and Dan,

I really apreciate the advise, I hope to get out tomorrow morning and try my luck. Also wanted to say I like the web site Bill lots of good info. A friend told me to try and fish the bends that fish will hold there so I might try to fish one of the bends tomorrow or one of those other gates Dan mentioned. Will let you guys know how I did if my wife will let me out . Happy new year to both of you, and thanks again.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Striper Fever

Your welcome anytime! Good luck with the wife and fishing. Rod tips up and tight lines to ya!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Official Member

I went out to those two gates a couple of nights ago, and got blanked. Not even a hit. I find January to be the toughest fishing month of the year in the duct though. I plan on spending a full 24 hours of fishing this weekend though, hitting up a bunch of spots.

StriperBill:
Does the state allow fishing where the water enters the aqueduct from the pipeline that comes from over the mountain (from Kern County, the last pumping plant (Edmonston, I believe or Wheeler Ridge, I get them confused). I've seen pictures of that area and it looks like a torrent of water coming out. I wonder if the stripers go up there to feed. I believe that would be in your area, right?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM

dan s. i agree the aqueduct across from golf coase road is terible!!!
you from the bakersfield area??i have herd tales of monster fish from the taft area but have gone many times not even a hit!
try the new rage tail series from strike king the (rage shad) black and white color its an exelent top water bait stripers can resist the noise and action of this new bait!!
give it a try. if you are from the bakersfield area let mee know i will give you the location of another spot to try
good luck tight lineswtf is this thing a buger lama???
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Official Member

J. Owen
I'll check those lures out. I don't use much topwater in the duct. It really isn't that often you get into a topwater bite. How have you been doing on big fish in the duct? In 2008, I didn't fish that often and my biggest was only 25 lbs or so. There isn't many spots in the duct that aren't known, but if you know a spot where you think there might be a 50 lber and want to divulge that information, fire away. hehe
I will probably concentrate my efforts this weekend up North, closer to San Luis Resevoir. I know a few spots up there, where there are some real slobs, just getting them to bite is the question.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:09 AM

you fished old river road at 166?
very good spot, not to much size but much quanity!!!
ive caught 10 fish in hour or soo on good days 5 pounds each if im acurated in my memory dont fish it much though i live central coast ca
so im about 2 hours from any part if the aqueduct.
but i try to get out there once a month to get away and relax
not so much durrin the sumer but to hot! still trying to get my 50+ pounder!!!!
any tips or hot spots arund the bakersfield area???
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Official Member

Yeah, I have fished Old River quite often. There are two siphons within a half a mile of each other there. One that goes under Old River road and the other one is down river a half mile or so. I've caught a few big fish there, but nothing really big. I think the biggest was 15 lbs or so.