Lake Monroe 10/3/8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Indiana Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Wiper Guru

Default Lake Monroe 10/3/8

Partner and I put in at about 3:00 p.m. from the Fairfax Ramp and fished the lower end to the dam. Most of the fish we found were in deep water (22+ feet) and close to dropoffs and points. The water temps ran about 71 degrees and the water was clear. Wind was light and there were not many boats out.

First we trolled the Sugar Creek area but did not take any. I could see them below us but could not get them to bite. We were using green/white Stump Jumpers. After a couple of turns, I decided to pull in and relocate to the dam. I stopped the boat and started reeling in when a wiper jumped onto the lure. That seemed a little odd, taking a fish while I was reeling at a fairly high speed, but it's happened before, so I didn't think much of it.

At the dam we could see the shad stirring at the surface, so we tossed Slab Spoons and TNT's for a time. We took two eight pounders simultaneously in about 28 feet of water and they trailed off. We went back to Sugar Creek and trolled, but caught nothing until I shut off the engine and we started taking in the lures. After only a couple of turns, they hit the Stump Jumpers, so we stayed in the area and experimented a bit. It was odd. We'd troll over the fish and get nothing, but as soon as we shut down the motor and let the lure settle to the bottom, then started our retrieve, they'd hit it. We took nine fish, and most were about eight pounders, though there were two that weighed in at about 6 lbs. I'm not sure how to explain the pattern, but for that afternoon it seemed to be working.

We left the lake about sunset. I'm betting if I can get down there Friday, that pattern won't even attract a yellow bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 12:56 PM
ISBA Exec

Default Re: Lake Monroe 10/3/8

Hey Slow,

I hear you met my partner Friday. We caught fish all weekend. Good time to be on the water.

Yaz
Old 10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Wiper Guru

Default Re: Lake Monroe 10/3/8

Hey, Yaz,

That was your partner? I'm going to have to start taking photos so I can start putting names with faces. Yeah, we met down in the Sugar Creek area. You're right, this is a great time to be on the water and I'm thinking it'll stay that way for awhile. I'm hoping, anyway.