lures for stripers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 AM

Default lures for stripers

For someone just starting to fish for stripers what lures would anyone recommend. I have a long list and would like to narrow it down a bit.
Here is my list Danny swimmer, mirrolure 103 if I can get it, striper magnet by bill hurley ,atom junior , some type of needlefish lure, atom striper swiper, and cotton cordell lures etc. Also what lb test can I use in mono to land these fish can I get by with 20 lb test . I HEARD BERKELEY BIG GAME 20LB TEST WITH GREEN TINT MIGHT BE A GOOD CHOICE. I have tried braided line and I am not sold on it seems to tangle easy and cut your hands . Do braided lines improve the casting distance? I am looking for advice on tackle lures and anything else someone just starting out should consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: lures for stripers

Here's a couple good threads to read through to get you started.

Stripers 101/Starter Kit

First 50 bucks...

Not sure where you're fishing, but in general that's not a bad selection, except I might swap out the needle fish out for a pencil popper which would be more versatile. I'd definitely add some 6" Storm swim shads to your list and some bucktail jigs.

20lb mono is fine for many areas. If you're fishing around a lot of sharp rocks, I would definitely consider going with a 20 - 30lb test braided line,,, it takes a little to get used to it, but is better suited to some areas and types of fishing than mono. 20lb test braid is much thinner than 20lb test mono, and therefore lighter and less wind resistant. Can improve casting distance slightly, but in my opinion the rod, reel, and the person holding it has much more impact on casting distance than whether you're throwing 20lb braid or 20lb mono.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

NEVER swap out the needlefish.. yes add aquality pencil popper, but a needlefish is a MUST, it is versatile and DEADLY on bass, not only when they are on sand eels but also when they are on mullet or spike mackerel.... fish it with a dropper by day and alone and SLOW buy night...

you might want to add a few charlie grave tins to the list, an assortment of bucktails, in different size and styles AKA Smiling Bills,bullet nose and uppermans style... for these you want pork rind or soft plastics, Berkly gulp is a good choice, I'm becoming anamored with the rechargeable type...

While talking soft plastics, it's a good Idea to have some sluggo's or Finn S, in both the 9" and 5" sizes, these can be fished weightless, with single or tandom hooking, but are poison to bass on a bullet head jig in fast water, add a few Tsnami or storm shads in pearl and mackerel finish swimmers and you should be in the game...

Braid is a matter of choice and hotly debated, I use it on conventional set ups and mono on my spinners... Trilene big game is a good choice, if you want tough.. Ande is the king.... get yourself a leader spool of floro carbon leader material... it doesnt do much for night fishing, but because of it's ability to refract light, it can be the differance during the day...
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the information on the lures. I have one more question on rod and reels. I currently have a 10` tsunami trophy series model tstss 1002 mh that will handle 3-6 oz lure and 15- 30 lb line matched with a shimano 3500 bait runner spinnning reel with a max line capacity of 14lb/185 yd; and I also own a shakespeare costume contender rod reel combo rod is model #ccbws702 med action with spinning reel with 20/190 capacity. I feel my tsunami rod is probably good for striper fishing but maybe the rest of my gear needs tweaking. the baitrunner won`t hold much 20 lb mono and I want to try to stay away from braided line so I am wondering if I need a different spinning reel for my descent 10` rod? what spinning reel are good for surf casting with lures and occasional live bait fishing mostly for stripers! Also how about the 7` shakespeare contender combo is that something I could use surf fishing or is the rod to short. Any advice or information on rods and spinning reels would be helpful. I don`t want to spend too much money so I am looking for something with average quality and value.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:32 AM
First Mate

The Tsunami rod is a good choice, but I feel as though the 3500 Baitrunner is too small... I used one last year spooled with #30 braid (#8 mono diameter) and felt it didn't have the capacity I would have liked... A lot of guys around here swear by the baitrunner reels so if you were to step it up to the 4500 or 6500 that should be fine... Personally I have recently been turned on to the older Penn greenie and Z series models... The 704 is a perfect size for surfcasting IMHO... Check fleabay, as the reels were discontinued by Penn... You can get these reels rather cheaply, under $100.. Just my .02

Bryan
Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the 3500 holds 230 yards of 12lb mono and weighs 15.1 ounces...
the 4500... holds 250yards of 17lb mono and weighs 21.1 ounces...
the 6500 holds 230 yards of 25 lb mono and weigh 26 ounces.. Idont own any of these..

I have both and fish both 3500's and 4500's..... the 3500's are spooled with 16lb Ande tournoment line... I've caught some very large fish(bass) with them and never even come close to getting spooled.. after all your talking 2 1/4 football fields...

The 4500's are spooled with 20lb Ande and are used for site casting to school blue fin tuna or live lining mackerel for stripers, I've taken tuna to 90lbs on them, as well as blue sharks in the 100lb range....they are heavy beasts...

Be sure to match the reel to the rod for balance and the outfit to the area and terrain you plan to fish then make your choice...