First Striper Set ups - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Official Member

Default First Striper Set ups

Going to be purchasing my first striper set up. Fishing from a Boat, nearshore and Rivers in NH/ME We plan on fishing with live bait, chunk bait and lures.

Considering picking up a 7' spinning combo set up from Penn. they seem reasonably priced and get decent reviews on this website.

Examples:
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...frc40007ft1com

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...btl40007ft1com

Questions are:

--is 7' a good size for an all around rod for boat fishing?

--What Size reel? I'd rather be on the lighter side as my kids will be using it as well. (2500, 3000 or 4000)?

--Can you recommend a few lures that are "must haves" in every striper fisherman's tackle box?

-- I've seen a lot about pencil poppers- can I catch schoolies on these? if not what is a good lure for schoolies?

As you can tell I'm starting at Zero here with my striper fishing knowledge! This site is excellent and has helped me so much already. Looking to see if I'm headed in the right direction

-- THANK YOU for any advice or input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB19565 View Post
Going to be purchasing my first striper set up. Fishing from a Boat, nearshore and Rivers in NH/ME We plan on fishing with live bait, chunk bait and lures.

Considering picking up a 7' spinning combo set up from Penn. they seem reasonably priced and get decent reviews on this website.

Examples:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...frc40007ft1com

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...btl40007ft1com

Questions are:

--is 7' a good size for an all around rod for boat fishing?

--What Size reel? I'd rather be on the lighter side as my kids will be using it as well. (2500, 3000 or 4000)?

--Can you recommend a few lures that are "must haves" in every striper fisherman's tackle box?

-- I've seen a lot about pencil poppers- can I catch schoolies on these? if not what is a good lure for schoolies?

As you can tell I'm starting at Zero here with my striper fishing knowledge! This site is excellent and has helped me so much already. Looking to see if I'm headed in the right direction

-- THANK YOU for any advice or input!

I can't see those links but I would go with a 4000 mininum. I have a shimano symetre 4000 that is a blast when you hook up to an aggressive schoolie. A penn fierce 4000 has 13lbs max drag, its also avalible in a live liner. I personally have the penn battle ii 5000. It's my light tackle reel for the boat, it's hooked up to a 6 ft rod. I also have a 6000 live liner but I use it from shore. A 7ft rod is perfect. 7 ft 6 or 6 ft 6 is also good for the boat. The tip has to be a little heavy for those windy days, heavier sinker weights.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 PM
Official Member

Default Re: First Striper Set ups

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm definitely trying to figure it out but there is just so much info out there. I think I've settled on a Okuma Avenger ABF 55. they get good reviews and the price is right- it should last a few years and figure at that point I can upgrade. Still looking at poles and hoping to score one at a local sale this weekend. Thanks for the Advice there too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Look on eBay. There's a 20 percent sale on literally everything. Penn mariner boat rods are cheap and light tackle, alot of fun. Also an ugly stik striper rod is a good cheap choice too. You can get those right now for 35 bucks.
Yeah that's a good reel! Just be careful and test the drag before fishing it. My friends completely locked up, gears stripped, whatever happened but the reel failed/ broke. He got a warranty replacement and it worked perfectly fine, manufacture malfunction I guess.. But it's one of the lowest priced baitfeeder models along with the fierce 2 which is sweet. Good luck this year.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Official Member

Default Re: First Striper Set ups

Closing the loop on this incase anyone out there has a similar question in the future: I ended up with 2 set ups. One a bit lighter than the other:

Shimano Teramar inshore rod 7' Med Heavy, Xtra Fast. With an Okuma ABF 40b.

Daiwa Saltist NE Inshore rod, 7' Medium, Fast. Okuma ABF 55b.

I am pretty happy with both set ups especially since I got the Rods on sale. Cant wait to get out there.

Thanks to those who responded and also to those who sent me PMs.