Where to hook live bait - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Where to hook live bait

I've done it a few different ways. I used to do the "in the mouth, out the soft spot on their head" way for years but in one of the areas I fish there is a soft bottom and boat traffic would pack their mouths full of mud killing them. Then I went to the "through both nostrils" method. However, this cost me numerous fish when the hook would turn back into the sides of their head before the stripers could eat them and then there was no hook up due to there being no exposed hook point. So now I use the "just behind the dorsal fin" method. The hooks don't turn in and as long as you don't cast too hard, the bait won't fly off. I am considering revisiting hooking through the nostrils though. I think I was using smaller circle hooks back then- say in the 4/0-5/0 range but now I use 8/0 Gamakatsus exclusively so I'll probably give it a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement