"But if you teach a man to fish..." - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM

Question "But if you teach a man to fish..."

First let me invite all to give me any fish from the freezer that they cannot eat, but that is not the reason for the post... I want to catch my own! I am brand new to this site, very new to fishing from a boat, and could seriously use some help so that the next time my line runs, it is not a crab trap (2x yesterday )... I know... Tip 1 - Steer clear of the traps...

Here is what I am working with... 2 Penn Senators Rods with Penn Jigmaster Reels, Leadcore backed by mono and 60lb. fluoro leader. This is what was recommended as a good beginner rig and as long as you have not hit the floor laughing yet I will continue... I have been tube and worming (again recommended for a beginner), letting out about 5 colors and going as slow as I possibly can with the current.

I have been out numerous times (allbeit using the same method) and have come up empty handed. Can someone please tell me what I am looking for as I cruise the Boston Harbor? I am not looking for your best spots, just some general direction as to which Boston Islands might be more productive, tides to go out, ANYTHING that might help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Default Re: "But if you teach a man to fish..."

Welcome! First and foremost you should probably read some of the site before asking general questions like that. The beginners section has information on where to begin in the search for striped bass. I know the harbor well, its where I started striper fishing from shore a few years back and I can tell you that there are fish all around most if not all of those islands. Again take some time to utilize the information on the site and 90% of your question will be answered. I would suggest you specifically study how to capture, keep and use live bait that you snag or jig up!

Also you should try just taking the boat out at first light bring some spinning tackle and poppers and motor around, keep in mind that your looking for structure and current and that the spinning gear is just in case you find some schools of fish on top. Just pick some islands and motor around them, note the current, depth contours, and spots that bass could easily ambush prey. (current seams, rock piles, rips, rock reefs ect.) The very basics...oh and definitely do the first light trips in Sept and Oct....find large schools of bunker...the rest better be self explanatory or you should sell the boat and take up bowling :)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Do some recon! As the previous post stated, find current and structure! While doing your recon, your fish finder will be your Holy Grail! Mark fish, note the depth and troll accordingly. I fish tube and worm mostly from my kayak, but occasionally from my boat and this method works.

Again, like the previous post stated, DO NOT limit yourself to 1 method of fishing! You never know what you may run into. In the harbor, I have fished pogies, pollock, herring (when they were legal), eels, and tube and worm, all were effective. Remember, if the fish aren't where you're fishing you won't catch anything. If you do not have a quality sonar unit, I can't recommend buying one enough, they're an indespensible tool!

Just do some scouting, find the current / structure and eventually you'll find some fish willing to eat!

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Elite

Try the same method with a couple of umbrella rigs. But don't let them hit bottom. You may find it a little more productive it's alot easier than tube and worm if your a beginner.