Reel/line question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 04-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Official Member

Default Reel/line question

Hi all im brand new here. I tried the search function but to no avail. Went striper fishing last night in a local river and was using a med heavy rod with a penn 105 reel. Im using 40 lb power pro while fishing a 6" bomber. My problem is that the line seems to be being wound onto the spool too loosly causing me to be getting knots and just poor casting. Why is this happening and how can i fix this? Thanks in advance guys.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Reel/line question

Welcome aboard Mike!

Check out these threads:

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ht=wet+packing

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=13507

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=9596

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=14236

Read through each of them carefully and you'll find the solutions to this problem.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

a 105 reel has a steel spool no? or is it a newer model?
if you have to use this particular reel then order an aluminum spool from scotts bait and tackle for it. go to michaels craft store and but the smallest neodeum magnets they have and epoxy a four of them to the inside of the side plate making sure they are alternating two side up and two side down (if that makes sense to you). the magnets are positioned on the inside of where the spool cups over the clicker being sure not to have anything hit the gear. this will slow that reel down so you don't get what i call a proffessional overrun. pm me if you have any questions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Official Member

Ah thanks for the replies guys. But wouldn't you know that i was so mad at myself for not having an extra spool (which thankfully i didnt need that night) that i went and ordered another steel spool from scotts first thing yesterday morning! now i have a steel spool on the reel and another coming to me. Im thinking of getting a different reel soon so maybe this one will become a backup, or strictly used for soaking baits.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you can mag it with the steel spool. just doesn't work as well but will slow it down. some people can't afford new tackle. sometimes we work with what we've got.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 PM

Ummm

Mag a 105 Name:  headscratch.gif
Views: 434
Size:  418 Bytes

Name:  penn105.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  3.4 KB

Mike, I'm going to assume the wind was blowing pretty good and was directly in your face
and/or you were casting upstream and retrieving with the current.
If so then we all deal with the loose wraps under those conditions (except Zim he mags all his spinning reels ).

To keep that from happening you'll have keep a little tension on the line by pinching it between your thumb and forefinger while you retrieve.

As for the reel, it's a good solid reel for freshwater but if you're ever going to fish it in the salt you're going to have to be exceptionally good about keeping it clean and rinsing it immediately when you get home (not the next morning). The Penn silver series were notorious for quickly developing the white rot - that type of corrosion that rots the body of the reel into white powder.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

omfg! i was thinking the old 150.....
lmfao.. that cs105 you may as well toss in the drink.
if you let me hold it in my hand that is where i would put it.
the first of many problems you will experience is the bushing will strip very easily on the bail knob and then pffffft! done.
the handle is a composite material. you will "if not careful" snap it in two! pfffffft! done.
i can go on but i don't wanna bring you down...

Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Official Member

o ya and weight that bomber so u can cast it better, it be very difficult to cast a bomber anywhere. steve mckenna https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/showth...=steve+mckenna

Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Official Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info, guess i'll check around to see if i can find something a little better.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Mike, your profile doesn't list where you're located so we don't know if you're fishing fresh or salt.
If you're fishing fresh then that reel is fine, not great but acceptable.
If you're in the salt get something better.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
The worlds worst fisherman

First off Im new to striper fishing, and fish with spinning reels, know nothing about conventional, but it sounds to me like ya'll are putting eddy brakes on conventional reels? That's ingenious.