clear finish on plugs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Lunker

Default clear finish on plugs

question,i have used a bar top epoxy for the last year or so with varied results. the last batch i did never really dried.they remain tacky to touch.i clear coated a couple of these with clear spray enamel and now at least they are useable.what did i do wrong? was the epoxy not mixed equally?im sure there is lots of info out there but could someone steer me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: clear finish on plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully537 View Post
the last batch i did never really dried.they remain tacky to touch.what did i do wrong? was the epoxy not mixed equally?
Yup

A trick I've learned is to use clear film canisters, the ones you can get for free from the local photography developing place. Masure and mark two equal lines with a sharpie, pour to the lines and stir for at least two full minutes being sure to scrape the bottom and sides.
I've been using this method for plugs and rodbuilding for years and over the course of an uncountable number of mixes I've only screwed it up once.

FYI, if you do screw up the mix and it doesn't dry fully, make a fresh batch and go over the old one, everything will cure and no one will ever know you messed it up - just be sure to use the same brand of epoxy both times.

BTW, if you used System 3 brand it's a 2 to 1 mix not a 1 to 1 - I've seen a lot of guys make that mistake.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

uh huh...not too forving that epoxy is...ive got some tacky ones too...funny they have been tackly for about a year and a half now...someday ill recoat em.............suds got it right..you gotta be right on with the mix..or it just wont be right..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Lunker

thanks guys,i should clarify the stuff im using is called glaze coat by famowood,and is the only bar top epoxy i could find(i cant say i killed myself trying though).i have got decent results as some plugs i made almost 2 years ago are holding up great.i dont know how to post pictures yet,some of the sizes,shapes and colors i have seen in this site are amazing. we all have too much time on our hands
Old 07-17-2007, 05:09 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

ive used the famawood before..its great stuff..but very fusy compared to the etex...it was all home depot had at the time...in fact the sticky ones i have are the famawood too...you gotta follow the directions exact on that stuff...when done right it is a great finish..but too fussy for me..i will use in a pinch though...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Lunker

thanks,im going to have to search harder for it.i have asked around a little and no one knows what im talking about.is it envirotech?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

is there a michaels craft supply place near you?..they have the envirotex.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Lunker

yeah,i forgot to mention that i live on the mass south shore . i think theres one in hanover.much obliged
Old 07-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi4290 View Post
is there a michaels craft supply place near you?..they have the envirotex.
LMAO the only guys you ever see shopping(without the wife) at michaels are plug builders.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Jerk

Lightbulb Re: clear finish on plugs

If you go to MICHAELS use one of their 40/50% off coupons. They even accept competitors coupons. I purchased a 32oz etex kit for $12.99.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Veteran Elite

I can vouch for the mix not being right and the plugs being sticky. I have been looking for one ounce cups with a graduation for measuring. If anyone finds some please let me know. last time I mixed epoxy I made enough for about 55 plugs even though I was only coating six, oops better to have extra than not enough. Nothing makes you feel more like a man than walking through michaels or ac moore with feathers and glitter in your hands.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:51 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

dont forget the craft paint too...yeah..ive had cashiers look at me funny when i check out with 80 bottles of paint 50 chip brushes..and assorted beads glitter..and such.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulax View Post
I have been looking for one ounce cups with a graduation for measuring. If anyone finds some please let me know. :

Cape Cod Tackle has them along with syringes. Ebay and most rod bulding suppliers should also carry them. Not sure about the sites policy on links so you will have to do a search.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

AC Moore carries it too...

I measure with a plastic spoon, I just fill it until it can hold no more...pretty fool proof... It's all in the mixing, I use a flat plastic mixer that came on a west system set, but a tounge depressor with the rounded end cut flat also works, mix well being sure to scrape the sides, once considerable gassing has taken place ( bubbles will drift off the mixing container) the mixture will be cloudy and full of bubbles, I wait a few minutes for the bulk of the bubbles to dissapate then apply a THIN coat to my plugs, I've found the thinner coats to be more durable than the thicker coats I applied after I switched from varnish to epoxy..... ( I still like varnish on plugs I paint with rattle cans)
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Lunker

man, this site is great. i ask a single question about something and get more info than i could in years of reading books,magizines,or hacking it out on my own.i just know that if you put a bunch of you guys in a room with nothing but plug building tools you could put a man on the moon .a question though roc, why varnish on plugs painted by rattle cans?